Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80's/90's Performance pack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Keep 'em coming - I'm definitely able and am planning a bunch of the sounds that people have listed already (And some are interchangeable which is nice) so I'll get to work on those early in the new year! Final setlist to come soonish hopefully
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fool by The Fixx. I need the arp!
speeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your pack. Some more hits to consider:
Things Can Only Get Better
Hold Me Now
Sledgehammer
Talking in Your Sleep
Abracadabra
The Tide is High
Rapture
Ashes to Ashes
Every Little Thing She Does
Every Breath You Take
With or Without You

Thanks!
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some Huey Lewis stuff? Like "Heart and Soul" or "Do You Believe in Love"?

I'd Love Cyndi Lauper's "All Through The Night"

And of course Any Depeche Mode you can think of!! I mentioned "Strangelove" on the other thread before I saw this one!

I love this guy!!! I bow down to Enigma!
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget Hall & Oates!!

I made a stab at "Say It Isn't So" https://soundcloud.com/user-831858763/say-it-isnt-so-hall-oates-cover

But I'd Love:

"One on One"
"I Can't Go For That"
"Kiss on My List"
"You Make My Dreams Come True"

But then, isn't every Hall & Oates song great? Smile
Jaydash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigma, can I just ask, are you thinking about doing soundsets featuring songs that we'd all like to play the intro to/ mess around with and recreate at home for fun, or soundsets geared more towards working musicians? They are two different things I think.

If the latter, would you consider doing a US and a UK edition, and maybe an 80's and a 90's edition? I only ask because I've just sat and done some analysis that you may find interesting, but the first results would likely be geared more towards (and therefore appeal more to) people actively playing in 80's covers bands in the UK, or looking to get into that market.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaydash wrote:
Enigma, can I just ask, are you thinking about doing soundsets featuring songs that we'd all like to play the intro to/ mess around with and recreate at home for fun, or soundsets geared more towards working musicians? They are two different things I think.

If the latter, would you consider doing a US and a UK edition, and maybe an 80's and a 90's edition? I only ask because I've just sat and done some analysis that you may find interesting, but the first results would likely be geared more towards (and therefore appeal more to) people actively playing in 80's covers bands in the UK, or looking to get into that market.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, this is definitely aimed at the working musicians, not as much the 'fun at home' musicians.

I'm definitely not opposed to making a UK version too, at this point I simply wouldn't be able to decide what the top 50 songs that bands cover would be. I know what that looks like in the US/Canada market since I'm a working musician in that area, but not the UK.

That all being said, I definitely like the idea and will seriously consider it once the former is complete. I'll have to do some research and get lots of feedback on what the most popular cover songs that are played frequently are for those sound sets, but the main goal is to have useful, productive sounds that can be played with a band.
Jaydash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, further to your reply here's my findings: I analysed the setlists of 20 UK function bands that play 1980's songs exclusively, ignoring any songs which clearly feature guitar/ piano only. I've listed the most popular songs below, sectioned in order of decreasing popularity according to how many of the bands play them.

It could be said that a well-programmed soundset containing the 59 songs from 'Livin On A...' down to 'We Built This...' would have great appeal and quite a value, arguably providing a working band (one that also has guitars and piano/ organ/ brass in its armoury) with pretty-much all it needs.

Perhaps the o/p could add-in some of the other 20 tracks mentioned at the bottom of the list to make a set, or some random faves of his own? Or split it into two sets, each containing some of the most popular and also some of the 'also ran' songs? Personally I would like to mess around with things like Together in Electric Dreams, Blue Monday, some Howard Jones stuff, the original Mad World, Real Gone Kid, Money's Too Tight To Mention as requested by someone else etc, but it can be seen from my findings that while it would be nice for gigging UK bands to have those in the repertoire, they certainly aren't the most important songs.

Around 60% of bands play the songs at the top of the list:

Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
Take On Me - a-ha

Don't You Want Me - The Human League
Jump - Van Halen

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany (surprisingly high given that it's pure cheese, but it is catchy I guess!)
Rio - Duran Duran
Summer Of '69 - Bryan Adams (live, I think synth is played alongside guitar on the main riff in the second half, plus Hammond in the 'killing time' bit? - see Wembley 96)
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham! (organ/ brass sounds only?)

A Little Respect - Erasure
Footloose - Kenny Loggins
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
The Power Of Love - Huey Lewis & The News

Dancing On The Ceiling - Lionel Ritchie
Material Girl - Madonna
The Final Countdown - Europe (I thought this would be even higher up)

1999 - Prince
All Night Long - Lionel Ritchie
Fame - Irene Cara
Here I Go Again, '87 version - Whitesnake
Holiday - Madonna
Kids In America - Kim Wilde (Prophet 5 in the vid!)
Like A Virgin - Madonna
Love Shack - The B52's (scant keyboards, but there's some kind of Roland in the video. They seem to play a Vox type sound live)
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship
The Boys Of Summer - Don Henley

Ain't Nobody - Rufus and Chaka Khan
Dancing In The Dark - Bruce Springsteen
Easy Lover - Philip Bailey and Phil Collins
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears For Fears
Gold - Spandau Ballet
Just Can't Get Enough - Depeche Mode
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Venus - Bananarama
Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves (any synths? background Hammond and brass I think)

99 Red Balloons - Nena
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Enola Gaye - OMD
Freedom - Wham!
I'm Still Standing - Elton John
Love Action - The Human League
Simply The Best - Tina Turner
Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
We Close Our Eyes - Go West

Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor (piano mainly, a slight bit of synth later-on maybe?)
Flashdance... What A Feeling - Irene Cara
Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr. (a great, fun 80's party tune; should be higher. Come-on British cover bands, sort it out!)
(I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
(I've Had) The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
Let's Hear It For The Boy - Deniece Williams
Money For nothing - Dire Straits
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (thought this would be much, much higher; a MASSIVE UK hit)
The Heat Is On - Glenn Frey
We Built This City - Starship (not Jefferson, at least in the UK)

In the 'nice to have but not essential' category were various tracks notably including (but not limited to): Always On My Mind - Pet shop Boys, Beat It - MJ (very low, probably cos no-one can do the guitar solo justice!), Call Me - Blondie, Down Under - Men At Work, Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran, Kayleigh - Marillion, Let's Dance - David Bowie, Like A Prayer - Madonna, Love And Pride - King, Money's Too Tight To Mention - Simply Red, Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley (ugh? how come this isn't in the proper list above?), Poison Arrow - ABC, Real Gone Kid - Deacon Blue, Smooth Criminal - MJ, The Look Of Love - ABC, Together In Electric Dreams - Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder, True - Spandau Ballet, Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl, Wouldn't It Be Good - Nik Kershaw, You Spin Me Round - Dead Or Alive.

If this is helpful I may be able to try and do it for the Canada/ USA 80's and the 90's cover bands also, but the above has taken me a whole day so I won't bother if it's not really of much use o/p.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaydash wrote:
So, further to your reply here's my findings: (snipped)

If this is helpful I may be able to try and do it for the Canada/ USA 80's and the 90's cover bands also, but the above has taken me a whole day so I won't bother if it's not really of much use o/p.

This is AWESOME!! Thanks so much for all of your hard work! Many of those songs I have already done, some will take a bunch of work but I love the idea of having a 80's/90's NA pack and then a 80's/90's UK pack.

Some of these definitely also belong on the NA pack version as well, but this gives me a great direction to head when it comes to doing these songs... I really appreciate all of the work that you've put into the list.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive 2nd post, Jaydash!

If I can speak for other up and coming cover band keys players.... That list is awesome sauce. It's interesting to see which songs are in rotation in the UK. A similar list compiled from working bands in the US and Canada would be historic as well. It seems set lists are popping up all around me. Compilations such as yours definitely help manage the mayhem by serving as a beacon of essentials to focus on.

Extra thanks for all the work put into it all. To both you, Jaydash, and enigmahack!

This forum has so many contributors of all types and topics. Thanks everyone!
Niven8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just a few more!
Addicted to Love
Shout...(2:42...3:00!) fun to program a Combi!
Wouldnt It Be Good...
Run to You
Behind the Mask E Clapton...
Your the One for Me
Kyrie..Mister Mister?
VIENNA!
Out of Touch
Everybodies Gotta Learn Sometime Korgies?
Niv.
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy both packs as long as they were playable on any model not just an 88. I have a K2 73.

I still have trouble with Uptown funk loading samples on my 73. Sometimes it works and other times the samples just won't load. Korg's file management system is terrible.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaydash's list was excellent. Almost all of the songs he listed were either played or considered by the last cover band I was in.

A few of the songs he listed I have never heard played by any band in the Long Island area:

Gold
Enola Gay
We Close Our Eyes.

I can't speak for other areas, but on Long Island "Come On Eileen" is pretty popular. It's got a banjo sound and strings. It was fun to play and a bit tough to sing (especially since I usually sing the high harmonies)
DrKewel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very simple but useful would be the inclusion of a clap sound that is triggered by a foot switch or midi- type pedal

I am thinking along the lines of Just What I Needed by Cars
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
I would buy both packs as long as they were playable on any model not just an 88. I have a K2 73.

I still have trouble with Uptown funk loading samples on my 73. Sometimes it works and other times the samples just won't load. Korg's file management system is terrible.

Thanks Norm.

I'm having that internal debate myself... I have both 88 and 73 key boards, but also want to program for a 61 key as well... I'm not sure how to approach this part yet. I'm almost thinking about just having lots of Setlist changes but that's such a waste of keyspace on 73 and especially 88 key boards.

About the samples... I spent a good 2 hours reviewing the manual last night regarding ksc files. I wonder if I've been doing something wrong because it seems that my samples are saved into the primary ksc and not the userbank ksc, but I really don't get many choices when it comes to saving them in any particular way.

I'll have to read the big big book of Korg I guess, in case I'm missing something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: