Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Successful syncing of Electribe to Zoom r24 multitrack clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Successful syncing of Electribe to Zoom r24 multitrack clock Reply with quote

hello friends. for those of you who are interested in a computer free set up I have good news. had a bit of a breakthrough the other night when I finally figured out how to have my hardware sync to the clock of my Zoom R24 multi-track recorder. The recorder lacks midi functionality, FYI.

This means I can now overdub and run sequences in time, which was previously near impossible to control with any consistency. That was sort of a last hurdle for me in terms of being able to work without a computer but now I can easily re-record a sequence if I want to make changes.

The R24 has a headphone out which can function independently of the main outputs. You're able to assign that jack to output only the metronome. And additionally you're able to assign any audio file to function as your metronome instead of the built in time keeper. I'm not going to get too much in the weeds as you can refer to the manuals for a lot of this stuff.

So...

1. Prepare a file in your DAW that will function as your sync clock. I did a 15 minute mono file at 120BPM where an 808 rim click sound plays every 1/8th note. Normalize this file so it's nice a loud. You may also want to export the same file at different tempos if you don't want to later time stretch on the R24.

2. Load the file onto the R24 via its USB file reading function or by adding it to a project folder.

3. Import this file to a new project you want to work on and assign it to a track. I usually just use track 24 since it's out of the way.

4. In metronome settings, set track 24 to be your metronome. Make sure metronome is on for Play & Record. Then on the unit itself, set the headphone out to receive only the click. There's a button and a knob for doing this.

5. If your tempo is not 120BPM, use the R24's time stretch to stretch the file on track 24 to whatever tempo it needs to be. You may want to confirm that it was recognized at its original tempo first so the stretch is accurate.

6. Assuming your headphone volume is loud and you have track 24's fader up nice and loud, the output of the headphone jack will be that 808 file. Send this directly into the SYNC IN of the Electribe.

7. In Electribe Global Settings, set the clock to External In.

And that should do it. Now whenever you hit play on the R24 it outputs a clock that will keep the electribe in time. Consequently any gear you have Midi or Sync connected should also keep the same time. If you press play on the electribe in this mode, it won't play anything until it gets that clock. Which means your R24 play button can now start everything together at once while also playing the rest of your recordings.

Hope this helps someone!
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see others trying this at last.

works with volcas too. anythign with that sync

From using the R8 here.

I found i had issues - you can use a hihat from the R8 drum kit to make your "metronome file"- think its the tech kit - that way I have a project just to produce the metronome file and export from the R8

I found - after many tests - that the the first beat/strike of your metronome file - for some reason it didnt catch - and the Korg would always start on the 2/8 and not the 1/8.

This was regardless of disabling the fade edges in the zoom. This may actually be part of the export of that file from the R8 adding a fade at beginning anyway...

In many cases that lag doesnt make a damn bit of difference - but it might if you wanted to mix with the Zoom kit or edit to the Zoom measures etc.

In case i *do* decide to do those functions i tend to have the first 10 bars silent and the clicks start on the 1/8 of 11th bar... just so i dont have to think too far on the run..

Also - I am sure I found there was a limit to the length of the metronome file - would be grateful if could check on yr R24 whether that exists?

{EDIT}

Theres a recent youtube of a chap using the loop function on the zoom to send a sync for some fun results.
Sulfur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this trick. To be honest I read about it quite some time ago and never thought that I could apply it to the Electribe too (I don't even remember if I already had it when I've been reading about this, maybe not). This could really come in handy in different situations. Most of all I think about being able to overdub sequences of different parts, thus avoiding voice stealing and having them to be processed separately to get a better mix. I'll try this on my R8.
Thank you!

1_inch_punch wrote:
Theres a recent youtube of a chap using the loop function on the zoom to send a sync for some fun results.

Could you please link the video here?
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfur wrote:
I knew this trick. To be honest I read about it quite some time ago and never thought that I could apply it to the Electribe too (I don't even remember if I already had it when I've been reading about this, maybe not). This could really come in handy in different situations. Most of all I think about being able to overdub sequences of different parts, thus avoiding voice stealing and having them to be processed separately to get a better mix. I'll try this on my R8.
Thank you!

1_inch_punch wrote:

Glad this info was useful to someone. As previously mentioned, you probably will find that the very first beat of your metronome file acts wonky. It takes until the end of that measure for the sync to really catch and be consistent. But starting your song on other measures seems to be fine each time so it probably is the Zoom doing something to the file. I just start on bar 4 or bar 8 so I don't have remember new numbers if I'm working in 8-16 bar sections.

On another note, this all reminds me of a trick someone on this forum once posted. Since the gear won't play unless it is getting a clock you can technically feed it a super slow tempo or even send percussion hits to it and it'll play one step of music every time it gets a hit. Can do some crazy sounding stuff like that.
gizmoismogwai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfur wrote:
Thank you!

1_inch_punch wrote:

Glad this info was useful to someone. As previously mentioned, you probably will find that the very first beat of your metronome file acts wonky. It takes until the end of that measure for the sync to really catch and be consistent. But starting your song on other measures seems to be fine each time so it probably is the Zoom doing something to the file. I just start on bar 4 or bar 8 so I don't have remember new numbers if I'm working in 8-16 bar sections.

On another note, this all reminds me of a trick someone on this forum once posted. Since the gear won't play unless it is getting a clock you can technically feed it a super slow tempo or even send percussion hits to it and it'll play one step of music every time it gets a hit. Can do some crazy sounding stuff like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: