Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW do you make use of the outputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nan Kin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: HOW do you make use of the outputs Reply with quote

Kronos has 6 outputs in total, And in one of DTs live shows I have seen JR has all the outputs plugged out!!
I want to hear how you guys are making use of the multiple outputs, do specify whether its live or studio use also!! Very Happy
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on each individual and use case how you want to use them
I can only speak for myself for my home studio.

L/R > go to audio interface (for Daw etc) (my global outputs are set to 3/4)
usually I keep input monitoring off on my interface

my audio interface is also also connected to my mixer for output to monitors

3/4 > directly my Audio mixer

1/2 > depends , I can connect them to audio mixer when need or to the same audio interface as L/R or to another audio interface.
Usually it's reserved for external fx processing like passing through an external
stomp or filter.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play live in a contemporary church setting. I also run the backing tracks.
L/R go to front of house.
1 goes to the Ventilator for organ. (it returns to the inputs)
3 is click to FOH
4 is backing track to FOH.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
mikelees

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I play live and usually have:
L+R to front of house
1+2 set to duplicate L+R and go to my monitor ( I made up an adaptor that sums to mono and attenuates slightly to use a single channel wedge)
3 doesn't go anywhere.
4 is a click output that goes straight to drummer's in-ear mixer.
KronosCray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
Hi, I play live and usually have:
L+R to front of house
1+2 set to duplicate L+R and go to my monitor ( I made up an adaptor that sums to mono and attenuates slightly to use a single channel wedge)
3 doesn't go anywhere.
4 is a click output that goes straight to drummer's in-ear mixer.

How do you set it to duplicate L/R?
I seem to get full volume coming out of 1+2, as though the volume knob were maxed.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sound engineer for live mixing:

L + R - Pad type sounds (organ, strings, choir etc)

1(L) + 2(R) - Lead sounds (synth leads etc)
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer

Last edited by Geoff Flynn on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know when indv. 1-2-3-4 are being used as input until you look at the bus/routing setup.
If i have input 1&2 used for Exi input for synthing up audio, i would need to select other options in sequencer mode audio track input. The indv. 1-2-3-4 are all on the audio track input list.
Maybe i only use indv. 1 & 2 for audio tracks and then set 3 & 4 as auxillary outputs for the stage sound. Maybe one for metronome setup and the other for any other type of set up. Its always nice to have two sets of outputs where one can go to the mixer for the audience sound and the other to stage sound monitoring.

It really varies. You just rumage through the system to see where the outputs are options. Global mode, sequencer, combi, program and sampling mode all have audio page setup for sampling or just mixing ins and outs. Sequencer audio track has input options that include the 1 thru 4 outputs to be used as input.

ifx routing also has some ways of mixing ins and outs.

When you see all the things that can be done with the ins and outs, 6 outputs and 6 inputs don't really seem like enough.
More like a 4 channel mixer but with a whole lot of bus & routing options that can't be found on common mixers.
You can have cables plugged in for output and change the routing on the touch screen so that an out becomes an in without unplugging wires. Or a left sent to a right without physically switching cables.

You can have all the outs and ins plugged up, which may look like a lot, but the functions and routings they can rotate through from touch screen.... 6 in and 6 out cables could be rotating through 16 audio tracks, 100's of Exi and 12 ifx -aside from any audio page sampling setup, all without unplugging or moving a single cable.
mikelees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KronosCray
Yes you're right - if you route L+R to 1+2 in global mode, then it outputs at full volume on 1+2. I adjust the monitor volume control to suit, so it doesn't bother me.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them in different ways for different projects. The most common was using one of the outs for a click track whilst running my vocal mic into one of the inputs and out of an output. That way I could use the Kronos effects on my vocal as well as automatically route it into a vocoder effect when needed.

Another common use is to route organ patches out to something like a new ventilator and back in.

I also considered routing my guitar in and then out to a line 6 pod, also midi controlled from the Kronos, but never ended up using it that way live - just experimented.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my pop/rock trio, I had L/R as normal, 1/2 for my acoustic guitar (input 1) and a mic for a vocoder into input 2 and then that outputted to 3/4. All integrated and better than a separate mixer for me.

I made two 8-ch snakes; 1 for the 6 outs from the Kronos and 2 from the Nord Stage 2.

Other snake was 2x for Kronos' inputs 1/2 and 6x for pedals (3x each board).
tim.condon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Geoff Flynn (above), I route pad sounds through one stereo pair, and leads/pianos through a second. This gives the live sound engineer a lot of freedom to adjust gain, eq, pan, etc. independently. One slight difference, however, is that I route pianos and leads to L/R (rather than 1/2) so they go through the MFX/TFX chain. I find that solo instruments can more easily share effects (ie, reverb/chorus), while pads often eat up IFX slots.

Usually, I send a click (via drum track) to one of the remaining outputs to our in-ear monitors to sync our tempo for rhythmic sounds, but occasionally use it for a third stereo pair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: