Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESP Input for EWI control.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tito_tunes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: ESP Input for EWI control. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting an Ms-20mini to use as a sound module for my EWI4000s wind controller.

Seeing as how the midi spec is limited to just notes, I'm thinking I could get more use out of the external signal processor.

I'm thinking if I create a simple patch on the EWI's sound engine, an unfiltered square wave for example and run it into the ESP can I get a reliable note CV, Gate and breath amplitude?

Is the tracking on the ESP good enough for the nuanced expression I'm looking for or should I use another MIDI to cv interface?

Thanks!
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: ESP Input for EWI control. Reply with quote

tito_tunes wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting an Ms-20mini to use as a sound module for my EWI4000s wind controller.

Seeing as how the midi spec is limited to just notes, I'm thinking I could get more use out of the external signal processor.

I'm thinking if I create a simple patch on the EWI's sound engine, an unfiltered square wave for example and run it into the ESP can I get a reliable note CV, Gate and breath amplitude?

Is the tracking on the ESP good enough for the nuanced expression I'm looking for or should I use another MIDI to cv interface?

Thanks!

i have not found the ESP to be accurate enough to do anything 'musical' with. Its good for creating gates to create triggers or to create chaotic sequences like early Daft Punk. Even sending a clean, unfiltered accurate tone in to the ESP and adjusting all the parameters very carefully the best i can do is get the MS20 to play me notes about 35-40 cents flat over an octave, that is to say tuning the voltage to get one note bang on is still flat one octave up.

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
tito_tunes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Waldorf Pulse + which has a midi to CV converter, I think I can use that to control it. I was just hoping to not have to bring as much gear to gigs.
Frenzies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tito_tunes wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I do have a Waldorf Pulse + which has a midi to CV converter, I think I can use that to control it. I was just hoping to not have to bring as much gear to gigs.

It will if it does the correct voltage type for the Ms20

Moog Sub 37 - Arturia Microbrute - Roland Gaia SH-01 - Boss DR660 - Akai S1000 - Akai S01 - Yamaha RM1x - Roland SP-404SX

https://soundcloud.com/beardsound
infindebula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tito is on the right track ... personally I had pretty good success plugging an electric guitar directly into the ESP input on my MS20 Kit. If you are using a bright sound source, be sure to back off on the ESP "HI CUT FREQ".

But if you can't get the ESP to track reliably, try this: Set up an EWI patch with lots of dynamic control. Patch the EWI audio out to ESP in, and ALSO connect the EWI MIDI out to MS20 MIDI in.

Now, the pitch and gate information will be played faithfully by the MS20, but by patching the ESP "ENV OUT" to VCA "INITIAL GAIN", the MS20 will follow the dynamics of the incoming audio source. (With different patching, your dynamics could control pitch, filter cutoff, LFO amplitude, etc).
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing the results of Tito's experiments.
tito_tunes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will post some demos when I get my mini, hopefully this week! I'm feeling empowered by your advice!
tito_tunes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my MS-20mini today and I'm in love! I first learned synthesis on my friend's original MS-20, so it's a familiar interface for me. I got a steal of a deal on the mini at $350 off of Craigslist. I bought it specifically to use as a sound module for the EWI4000s.

Here's a sampling of my experiments today:
https://soundcloud.com/titotunes/messing-with-ms-20-ewi

At first I thought I might get away with using the External Signal Processor to convert the EWI's audio into pitch and breath amplitude CV. It works ok... but the tracking is weird beyond one octave, and it seems like the breath dynamics contaminate the pitch CV.

Fortunately I have a Waldorf Pulse + which can function as a MIDI to CV converter. That gave me better results. Now I can play the MS-20mini using the EWI's pitch bender and bite sensor, all tracking beautifully. I found I got the best results with pitch CV going into the OSC 1,2 input and the breath CV mapped to VCF and VCA. No gate trigger necessary! Patching it in only made it sound clicky.

One drawback I encountered with using the Pulse as a MIDI to CV converter is it doesn't include portamento in the pitch CV. One of the awesome features of the EWI is the thumb sensor for controlling portamento time, to create all sorts of slippery leads and bass. I think I might at some point pick up a Kenton MIDI to CV box, which I think will pack the pitch bend and portamento time (cc#5) in with the pitch CV.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice demo!
Synnic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: MS-20 mini and EWI Reply with quote

Try connecting the to the MIDI input on the mini and using only the envelope follower's ENV out connected to the VCA Initial Gain. That should get you good pitch and triggering while the envelope follower gives you the dynamics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: