Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

foot controller for PA600

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickmostly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: foot controller for PA600 Reply with quote

Hello here:
newbie here, be gentle : )
I have been following closely Nemik's posts about the Behringer FCB1010 and had a chance to see one at Sweetwater, unfortunately my feet dont fit on it.
I saw the MidiMoose https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIMoose
and my feet fit it nicely, but will it work?
I am barely familiar with much of the language used in midi routing, most my midi use had been as a controller in my DAW.
When I look at page 233 in the manual the Global setting seems to give me the option of using midi to control all the options availale to a footcontroller, but I see no way of setting them up.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, I will do my best to resarch and better understand terms.
it astonishes me that Korg ovelooked making such a controller for these keyboards. I Love the PA600! I do a solo multi instrumental act and have been hoping for years for a Keyboard that would free me from sequences and "tracks"
Thanx Much
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on Forum.
What you like to control by this Midi foot controller?
Looks like Tech 21 Midi Moose can only control Program Change.
Not sure, but according to manual you got you can only customize Midi Channel sending.
Midi messages can have many factors, can be Program change, Control Change, Note On, Note Off, Velocity, and many more.
Korg Arrangers can receive almost all, but In foot controllers important is Midi Messages which control Korg in real time.

what that's mean in simple words.
Tech 21 Midi Moose will work with Pa600, but you can only control Program change and can't customize which button control what.
List of available PC in Korg Pa600:
Program Change List:
CTR#64 = STS1
CTR#65 = STS2
CTR#66 = STS3
CTR#67 = STS4
CTR#80 = Intro 1
CTR#81 = Intro 2
CTR#82 = Intro 3
CTR#83 = VAR 1
CTR#84 = VAR 2
CTR#85 = VAR 3
CTR#86 = VAR 4
CTR#87 = Fill 1
CTR#88 = Fill 2
CTR#89 = Fill 3
CTR#90 = Fill 4
CTR#91 = Break
CTR#92 = Ending 1
CTR#93 = Ending 2
CTR#94 = Ending 3
CTR#95 = Fade In/Out
CTR#96 = STS Mode
CTR#97 = Auto Fill
CTR#98 = Memory
CTR#100 = Manual Bass
CTR#101 = Tempo Lock
CTR#103 = Start/Stop

-------------------------
Now Tech 21 Midi Moose has group of 5 PC#, means PC 1-5, PC 6-10 etc.
You can't customize for your choice, you have to look on display and go UP and Down to set next Program Change.
Example:
you wanna change Variation for Var1 (PC#83) Tech 21 Midi Moose have to be in range 81-85, if display show 81, 82, 83, 84 or 85 you just press 3rd button and Display change for 83 and send PC#83, but then if you wanna go var 4, you need press UP, then 1st button.
I hope I making sense. Wink
here is link to manual:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/effects/MidiMoose-OM.pdf
Fl Studio 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Performers Heaven
nickmostly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Thanx Nemik! Reply with quote

My main interest is running the sequencer and the variations/intro etc.
I saw your PC list before and noticed it didnt have the sequencing.
What I havent figured out is where the settings are on the korg to get a midi controller to do anything related to program changes.
I ordered the midi moose and it will be here friday and I will atttempt to get it working.
Not being able to customize button control will be a huge disadvantage and may mean the midi moose wont work for me.. darn!
To find something that has the options of the behringer FCB1010 but the physical design of the Midi Moose would be my ideal. I really dont need the expression pedals. Ive been looking at DAW controllers that might work?
Or maybe this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1025365&gclid=CLbxiPTW3NECFcYCaQodb0sKZw&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91442437562%2C&Q=&A=details
the soft step midi controller.
Trouble is I don't yet understand the manuals or this part of the pa600 well enough to tell what foot controller will work for me, But I'm learning.
Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx Again
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStep 2 MIDI Foot Controller is Fully Customizable, pads is Pressure Sensitive, is coming with editor (software), ... will work with Korg perfect. Wink

I still don't understand what you except from foot controller. Question
Maybe more details or some scenario how you like to use.
Performers Heaven
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg has 8 MIDI configuration Presets, ... you find them on Global/Midi/General Controls
nickmostly wrote:

What I havent figured out is where the settings are on the korg to get a midi controller to do anything related to program changes.

This setting is in:
Global/Midi/Midi In Channel
There you need match Korg In channel to your controller out midi channel and set on Korg this Channel to: Control
When you change there, you can save it preset even renamed, if not after reboot Korg change back to defaults.

PC#(Program Change Numbers) on Korg are static, cannot be customized, you need set your controller to this PC#s.
Wink
Performers Heaven
nickmostly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: how I want to use foot controller Reply with quote

Thanx so much Nemik, and thanx especially for your patience and thoroughness.
What I want to do is all about live performance:
1. be able to use my foot to start recording a sequence, say the verse of a song, and then to play that sequence back (which is easy to do with my left hand) but I need my hands free to pick up and play my sax. Then end the sequence and go back to playing the keyboard. (the sequencer is what I love about the Pa600 and why I bought it)
2. To be able to choose the variations and endings with my foot. (I have been using cubase to create my own styles and Im programming complete sequences with the chord changes cut up into intro, verse, chorus, ending)
3. be able to assign a pedal to other useful live performance stuff like fade out, ritardando, accelerando, break etc
4. to be able to have several different settings for the entire pedal system so that I can choose which combination of these fucntions to use for a song, perhaps with the up/down controls. Very Happy thats all

The other factor is my feet, I have only my left foot to use, my right ankle is fused and basically like having a brick for a foot. This leaves me wearing orthopedic shoes which are very bulky, thus my inability to operate the behringer.
Soo... Im hoping I will be able to operate the the Soft Touch ok with my left foot. The fact its programable on a computer would make all the assigning easy (I would hope) I can control a sustain pedal jus fine with my left foot.
Thanx Again!!
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: how I want to use foot controller Reply with quote

nickmostly wrote:

1. be able to use my foot to start recording a sequence, say the verse of a song, and then to play that sequence back (which is easy to do with my left hand) but I need my hands free to pick up and play my sax. Then end the sequence and go back to playing the keyboard. (the sequencer is what I love about the Pa600 and why I bought it)

Sorry, but PA600 and any Korg Arranger don't have possibility to control from external Midi controller Record/Play Sequencer.
Is hard coded on board only.
Korg Pa600 has option to assign pedal to Record Chord Sequencer and Play Chord Sequencer, problem is you can only choose 1, but if you set to play you can use hand to start record and foot to Play.
When you hit Play Record will stop and start looping Sequencer.
FCB1010 has 2 Switches, you can connect using 1/4 in male to male TS cable.Wink
nickmostly wrote:
2. To be able to choose the variations and endings with my foot. (I have been using cubase to create my own styles and Im programming complete sequences with the chord changes cut up into intro, verse, chorus, ending)

Possible and very easy to setup.
You need Controller support Program Change.
nickmostly wrote:
3. be able to assign a pedal to other useful live performance stuff like fade out, ritardando, accelerando, break etc

Fade Out, Break easy via Program Change.
Ritardando, accelerando is same as Sequencer, only via Switch
nickmostly wrote:
4. to be able to have several different settings for the entire pedal system so that I can choose which combination of these fucntions to use for a song, perhaps with the up/down controls.

FCB1010 has 10 preset.
SoftStep 2 MIDI Foot Controller maybe more, but you got to remember SoftStep 2 MIDI Foot Controller don't have 5-pin Midi connection, only via USB, means not possible connect directly to Korg.
Performers Heaven
nickmostly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Thanx!! Reply with quote

Thats disapointing about the seqencer, but glad I know now. I was scouring the manual. The bottom left on 233

Global
Special channel to simulate the Pa600’s integrated
controls (keyboard, pedals, joystick) with an
external keyboard or controller. MIDI messages
coming on this channel are seen as if they were
generated by Pa600’s integrated controllers.

So I figured this meant anything you can do with a foot controller you can with a midi controller?

Also the "USB over Midi" function as discribed on page 270 may allow me to directly connect the Soft Step? Though I dont know if the softstep can be used instead of a computer once the driver is installed in the pa600.
This is from the Soft Step manual FAQS :

I have a synth/pedal/amp/rack/etc. with a USB port on it. Can I
just plug the SoftStep directly into it?
It depends.
In order for the SoftStep’s USB connection to work properly, it must be connected to a device
that can act as a USB “host”. Host devices almost always have a USB A connector on them (the
more rectangular-shaped connector, like the ones on a computer). A non-host device, or
“slave”, generally has a USB B connector (the more square-shaped one, like on the SoftStep).
So, typically, if a device has a USB A connector on it there is a good chance the SoftStep will
work with it when directly connected via USB. If a device has a USB B connector on it that
generally means it won’t work.

So maybe I can hookt the Soft step up direct??

anyways, just exploring all possibilities as I begin to understand more about midi.
Again... thanx so much!!
tacman7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using the keyboard with cubase then you can get it to stop and start with no problem. If the keyboard is slaved to cubase there's lots of hardware support to start and stop cubase with a pedal.

I've used the keyboard with my DAW, putting in program changes to change the variation and that works but I have a different workflow, I'm writing songs not performing.

You have a lot more power if you're using cubase with the keyboard, almost every command is mapable to hardware control.
nickmostly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Thanx Tacman Reply with quote

Unfortunately I dont use cubase live, I used too, but been trying to trim down my setup, enter the pa600. it looks like the soft step is going to be very useful in my studio as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: