Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With the Minilogue, can you...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
909one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: With the Minilogue, can you... Reply with quote

1. Record a sequence, save it to a patch, then overdub some new ideas, erase the new ideas but still keep the original patch - all while the sequence is playing? You can do this on the Moog Mother 32, trying to find a way to do it on the Minilogue.
2. Let the synth drone and sustain indefinitely? You can also do this on the Mother, but I haven't figured out a simple way to do this with the Minilogue.
moho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can change anything about a patch as long as you don't press write the original remains.

2. Hold down key place something like cable or piece of card across the key, done.
909one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yeah this isn't exactly what I'm asking about. What I'm asking is this... Pretend for a moment you are playing live. You have a saved sequence with your patch. You start the sequencer, things are cool. However you want to overdub something and you press record. But, you make a mistake and play a wrong key. Now, while the sequence is still playing, is there a way to erase the new stuff you've done without erasing the saved sequence, while still being in time? You can do this exact function on the Moog Mother, I haven't been able to figure it out on the Minilogue. I tried saving two identical patches, if you go between the two while its running, it doesn't wait till one sequence is done playing to play the next, it just jumps.

2. Yeah of course I could do this, but that's annoying.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. I don't own or did not play with a minilogue, so I can not really comment this. But I would doubt it can do what you have in mind.

2. For drones, consider the arpeggiator. When it is set in latch mode, you touch one key and it starts to repeat it. By smoothing the envelopes a bit (in particular for the amp - rather slow attack and long releases, high sustain level, the notes tend to blend in each other with no or almost no hearing the repetition. At least this works on my mKXL. Someone can give it a try on a minilogue.

Bye.
moho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see what you mean, simple answer no, I cannot even think of another keyboard that can do that without using more than one sequence. I was weighing up the pros and cons for getting a mother and that's definitely a pro.
As for the drone I'm still hoping korg will issue an update so holding a mode button down will turn hold on like the latch in the arpeggiator.
909one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this feature on the Mother is awesome. You can return to your original sequence with the press of two buttons.

In general, the Mother is a great compliment to the Minilogue. The oscillators sound pretty similar, however the filter on the Mother blows away the Minilogue. You can always run the Mini through the Mother though. Its sounds glorious.

The Mini is much more functional though if you are playing with anyone else. The Mother drifts out of tune, and there's no center detent for the tuning on its pot, so you have to tune it up every so often.
909one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured out how to make a drone--
Make a sequence with 1 step, set tie to 100%.
Select your notes. Run. Drones for days.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

909one wrote:
Yes this feature on the Mother is awesome. You can return to your original sequence with the press of two buttons.

In general, the Mother is a great compliment to the Minilogue. The oscillators sound pretty similar, however the filter on the Mother blows away the Minilogue. You can always run the Mini through the Mother though. Its sounds glorious.

The Mini is much more functional though if you are playing with anyone else. The Mother drifts out of tune, and there's no center detent for the tuning on its pot, so you have to tune it up every so often.

Make no mistake, the Minilogue goes out of tuning too....at least until it's warmed up. After about 10 minutes I have to to the Hold + REC tuning function to get it completely in tune as I'd like.
909one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
Make no mistake, the Minilogue goes out of tuning too....at least until it's warmed up. After about 10 minutes I have to to the Hold + REC tuning function to get it completely in tune as I'd like.

Yes I have noticed this.
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

909one wrote:
John01W wrote:

Yes I have noticed this.

Best results I've had is to wait for it to warm up about 10 minutes and then it's stable....after it warms up it's all good!

Real VCOs, part of the deal and part of the goodness of it. Korg's way of keeping it tuned is pretty easy but it's stable and sounds great.

Love the minilogue!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: