Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue- Funeral For Queen Mary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sutekh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Minilogue- Funeral For Queen Mary Reply with quote

This is a newbie question, but that's ok cause I'm new to analog synthesis. I'm trying to cover the opening title theme to A CLockwork Orange, known as "Funeral of Queen Mary"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt45SJ-zEUI (Caution- some disturbing images)

It's a basic synth sound but hear how the music swells in perfect time, like controlled breathing? I know there's a way to do this using the envelopes and filter cutoff but I just can't seem to get it to sync with the music like the original recording.

Are they controlling it manually somehow? The volume seems to swell exactly when they need it to. Oddly enough I've been able to approximate this better on the Kross, but the Minilogue should be the instrument to do it cause it's analog.
genshi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Minilogue- Funeral For Queen Mary Reply with quote

sutekh wrote:
This is a newbie question, but that's ok cause I'm new to analog synthesis. I'm trying to cover the opening title theme to A CLockwork Orange, known as "Funeral of Queen Mary"...

It's a basic synth sound but hear how the music swells in perfect time, like controlled breathing? I know there's a way to do this using the envelopes and filter cutoff but I just can't seem to get it to sync with the music like the original recording.

Are they controlling it manually somehow? The volume seems to swell exactly when they need it to. Oddly enough I've been able to approximate this better on the Kross, but the Minilogue should be the instrument to do it cause it's analog.

Just because the Minilogue is "analog" doesn't mean anything. There are a ton of analogue synths, all of them very different...

Specifically, there is no way on earth that the Korg Minilogue is going to come close to achieving what was done by Wendy Carlos on her original, massive Moog Modular that she used for the Clockwork Orange soundtrack. Even though that's analog too! But with at least 7 oscillators, a fixed filter bank, 5 Envelope Generators, etc., there's no way to recreate it on any modern day fixed synth. The image below is her on the equipment she used for that score...

OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Minilogue- Funeral For Queen Mary Reply with quote

WOW! That is too cool!

genshi wrote:
sutekh wrote:

Just because the Minilogue is "analog" doesn't mean anything. There are a ton of analogue synths, all of them very different...

Specifically, there is no way on earth that the Korg Minilogue is going to come close to achieving what was done by Wendy Carlos on her original, massive Moog Modular that she used for the Clockwork Orange soundtrack. Even though that's analog too! But with at least 7 oscillators, a fixed filter bank, 5 Envelope Generators, etc., there's no way to recreate it on any modern day fixed synth. The image below is her on the equipment she used for that score...

genshi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Minilogue- Funeral For Queen Mary Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
WOW! That is too cool!

genshi wrote:
sutekh wrote:

It is, but, interestingly, I know a lot of people who think Wendy Carlos actually wrote that piece... but it was actually written by Henry Purcell way back in 1695 for the Funeral of Queen Mary II. It was written for Drum and 4 Horns, and this is how it would have been performed back then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYELAu9hqdU

Very Happy
sutekh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it sounds like she used a pedal or something to control the cutoff. Maybe I'm missing something, but I got pretty close to the sound on both the Minilogue and the Kross (which isn't even analog)
I thought it was a slow envelope controlling the cutoff, but it's not at regular intervals, it changes with the phrasing.

I'm not trying to precisely reproduce every little nuance of the sound, I'm trying to cover the song.
sutekh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize Purcell wrote that. Wow, between this and Dido's Lament he was really the all-time Grand Master of Sad Music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: