Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading from web to floppy disk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Downloading from web to floppy disk Reply with quote

Having successfully replaced the battery and floppy disk drive in my Trinity, I'm having problems making floppies. Using the disks that came with the keyboard (yes they still work!) I've successfully re-installed OS 2.0 and A and B banks but I'd like to install OS 2.41 and use the extra Mega pianos and Orchestral programs that Timo so kindly provided.
I think the problem I'm having may be related to the fact that all our PCs are running on windows 7 62 bit and I'm getting all sorts of errors re. "insufficient disk space" and on the Trinity "not a system disk"

Is this the problem and if so is there a work-round?

I'm going to see a friend (who runs a 32 bit machine) tomorrow, armed with 30 floppies and will try again but in the meantime, please chime in!

This backwards compatibility issue, together with limited knowledge and copious ineptitude in matters computorial has made me reluctant to try to install legacy programs such as Midiox and Trinitro amongst others. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Korg issued, as far as I can determine, 17 sound and sample banks for the Trinity. All the links I've managed to find are broken or out of date. So, if anyone on here can point to an active link or better still, post them in the download section, you'll be helping all of us who still enjoy our Trinity.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
Having successfully replaced the battery and floppy disk drive in my Trinity, I'm having problems making floppies. Using the disks that came with the keyboard (yes they still work!) I've successfully re-installed OS 2.0 and A and B banks but I'd like to install OS 2.41 and use the extra Mega pianos and Orchestral programs that Timo so kindly provided.
I think the problem I'm having may be related to the fact that all our PCs are running on windows 7 62 bit and I'm getting all sorts of errors re. "insufficient disk space" and on the Trinity "not a system disk"

Is this the problem and if so is there a work-round?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I had the same problems last week with a USB floppy drive, including the same error messages ('insufficient disk space', 'not a system disk') amongst others ('Windows error N.5', 'Floppy can't be acceded'), et al.

It was the first time I tried my USB floppy drive with Win10 64-bit. I initially thought it was a problem with the disks themselves, but I don't think that's the case as it's too widespread, and the Trinity can load them correctly.

There is a work around, but it's a tad arbitrary and you have to be a little patient. I posted the process just a few days ago for another user:

Timo wrote:
VegasGroove wrote:
The online ZIP files (2.4.1 OS installation disks) don't seem to be extractable under windows 10.

Windows error N.5? Floppy can't be acceded?

It's a little arbitrary, but:

1) When you load up the Image files (the 'exe' called 241DISK1.exe, or 241DISK2.exe for creating the two disk images for installing OS v2.4.1, or 312DISK1.exe, or 312DISK2.exe in the case of OS v3.1.2 for MOSS-TRI owners) make sure you run the 'exe' files without having a floppy in the drive.
2) It will search, and come back with 'floppy not found'. Don't press Cancel.
3) Now insert the floppy disk, and then click Retry.

If this does not work the first time, try it again. Sometimes it takes 3-4 tries. Sometimes it starts working then fails halfway through, in this case just click Abort, and then retry from scratch again.

If you get "Current image is not supported by the disk drive" and it's a USB floppy drive, remove it from USB port temporarily, and then reconnect and try again.

I can give you the files from the disks, but I'm not sure if invoking the EXE includes actively writing specific data to the boot sectors of the disks, which simply copying the files over to the floppy may not be able to replicate. The last thing I want to give you is a bricked Trinity due to a failed OS install.

Failing that, the guy with the 32-bit machine may likely see fewer problems for you, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Korg issued, as far as I can determine, 17 sound and sample banks for the Trinity. All the links I've managed to find are broken or out of date. So, if anyone on here can point to an active link or better still, post them in the download section, you'll be helping all of us who still enjoy our Trinity.

These are the ones I have:

• TFD-00 - Factory PBS set (this isn't a full set, it only contains a few multisamples for demonstration purposes and is otherwise largely not worth having)
• TFD-1S - Mega Pianos
• TFD-2S - Orchestral Elements
• TFD-3S - Dance Waves & Drums
• TFD-4S - Best of M1
• PCM-02 - Brass
• PCM-03/TFD-5S - Groovebox 1
• PCM-04/TFD-6S - Techno Trance
• PCM-05 - Garage, Jungle & Hip-Hop
• Organs (unsure which TFD/PCM number this was)

I believe these were released by Korg Italy for free. The first five certainly were. The Korg Italy sets also included a series of other sets simply called "Benches of Sound" and "Multisample Set" with incremental numbers. It's likely that these contain the missing ones, they may just not be labelled correctly under their original commercial title-names.

Given that these PCM sets, to my best knowledge, are no longer commercially available anywhere, whatsoever, and that they appear to be freely available in the public domain via Korg Italy I will upload them temporarily for you otherwise you have to register on Korg Italy and try and translate your way through it all.

http://www.infekted.org/Korg/KorgTrinity_PBS-TRI_PCM_Sets.zip
foxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Timo,
I'll try the 32 bit route first as the work-around sounds rather hit and miss.
Also thanks for posting the PBS-TRI PCM sets link....I'll try to put all these on floppies and a USB stick.
I first saw all these on Eko/Esound who are the Korg distributors in Italy but didn't download them at the time (8 years ago) but recent searches show they no longer appear to have a download section.

On a more personal note; I've been reading (but not always understanding) your posts for many years. You seem to always freely give your knowledge and time to help others. Many thanks.

RF
VegasGroove

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Timo being SUPER helpful!
+1 for USB floppy not compatible with current versions of Windows Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: