Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Please make a 73 key KRONOS with NON - Weighted keys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an 88 unweighted? Here's the Kronos LS...

Though I wish they had at least moved the left end controls up and over the bottoms keys so the whole thing could be that much less wide.

A 73-version of that, with those controls moved, would be pretty killer.

Unfortunately, it's reported that they removed the aftertouch from this version.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEP - a 73/76 version of the Kronos-2 and my order would be in immediately

(Not sure about LS as I do use aftertouch)

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
navydave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, add me to the list of wanting a 76 key unweighted key-bed. More real estate for splits and multi-splits, which I use a lot. I was disappointed that there was no 76 key option when it came out and had to go with the 61 key version. I have to re-tune sections of the keyboard sometimes just so I can fit all my splits into one combi and then remember that it is an an incorrect key (for that split section) when playing the song.

Last edited by navydave on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure i've been reading the LS isn't coming to the USA. Put me down for a 76/73 non weighted Kronos.
slowtrain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got the 61 for the synth action, and would have bought a 73 key with synth action. I doubt I'll sell it to upgrade to a 73 if they release one though
timg11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a non-weighted Kronos 76, but even if one were ever developed, think carefully about the actual cost. Currently, the barrier for existing owners to upgrade to a newer or different Kronos is rather high. First you have to buy the new instrument, then you have to purchase all your commercial samples again at the current list price.
wildebeest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and me. I got my 61 two years ago.......but I debated with myself for a long time if I was buying the right instrument. In the end, all the 'toys' within won me over but I felt sure its brother would soon arrive...........still being patient
Schmooster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do they even make a 73 AND a 76 key version? This is purely to accommodate older classical pieces from what I can tell so there should be no debate as to weighted or unweighted versions of both - I don't get it? I personally use my TR76 synth action purely to have extra keys for triggers or better splits, NOT for the octave range, I can't think of any song I've played that required 6 octaves at once that wasn't classical - which I don't play lol, but I'm really confused as to why they need 73 AND 76 versions because they don't even line-up for people who are training classically? So why? I can't seem to get an answer to this question that isn't just an opinion - but there must be one? This isn't the same as the argument for MIDI controllers between 12 keys and 49 either, they're designed for a purpose - DJ's lol. Although I do admit to having a Behringer UMX-49 controller that was really handy for testing modules - but I digress.....again.
Thank you to anyone who can answer this mystery without mentioning 'Mandela effect' Laughing
Schmooster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I'd love to see a non-weighted Kronos 76, but even if one were ever developed, think carefully about the actual cost. Currently, the barrier for existing owners to upgrade to a newer or different Kronos is rather high. First you have to buy the new instrument, then you have to purchase all your commercial samples again at the current list price.

Its far cheaper to use a 76 key controller - I just happened to have the TR76 which is usually playing Kronos patches, I just wish the keybed was as nice as the Kronos - which if I'm not mistaken is the M3 keybed and that has a 73 key synth action version - which is where my last point came from - why 73 AND 76 key versions in both synth action and weighted?? How did that come about?
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
Why do they even make a 73 AND a 76 key version? This is purely to accommodate older classical pieces from what I can tell so there should be no debate as to weighted or unweighted versions of both - I don't get it?.........

Do you mean 73 and 88? Or am I missing something?
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
Schmooster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
Schmooster wrote:
Why do they even make a 73 AND a 76 key version? This is purely to accommodate older classical pieces from what I can tell so there should be no debate as to weighted or unweighted versions of both - I don't get it?.........

Do you mean 73 and 88? Or am I missing something?

No it's me not being clear, I didn't mean the Kronos specifically, I meant when did Korg (and others) suddenly decide to start making 73 key versions and why? I think it began with the M3, but my TR has 76 keys, as did anything between 61 and 88 keys until recent years - even for classically trained pianists I don't understand it because why make synth-action and weighted versions of the 73 key and the 76 if the reason was for pianists?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
No it's me not being clear, I didn't mean the Kronos specifically, I meant when did Korg (and others) suddenly decide to start making 73 key versions and why? I think it began with the M3, but my TR has 76 keys, as did anything between 61 and 88 keys until recent years - even for classically trained pianists I don't understand it because why make synth-action and weighted versions of the 73 key and the 76 if the reason was for pianists?

88 - 12 = 76
61 + 12 = 73

It's really just the concept of adding or subtracting an octave from the other sizes.

For me, I never like the 76 key layout. It always feels weird to me when I stand in front of one - sort of like getting into a car with the steering wheel on the other side. I much prefer the 73 C-to-C layout if I was to go for that size.

Korg should definitely release a 73-key synth action Kronos (WITH AFTERTOUCH!!!)

Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
Currently, the barrier for existing owners to upgrade to a newer or different Kronos is rather high. First you have to buy the new instrument, then you have to purchase all your commercial samples again at the current list price.

Actually, you can contact Korg and have your purchases transferred to your new unit. At least according to
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=668670#668670
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
which is where my last point came from - why 73 AND 76 key versions in both synth action and weighted?? How did that come about?

Different companies have done different things over the years, but Korg has offered more options than most. The variations are not just in how many keys, but also which keys they are.

The 76-key TR you like was basically replaced by the 73-key M50. Although there were some things I liked better about the TR (aftertouch, ability to load custom samples, assignable out), I did prefer the M50 73-key layout. It helped make the board smaller/lighter (and maybe less expensive?), and for unweighted actions, I prefer that the highest key be a C, because sliding up to the high C is such a classic Hammond organ maneuver that it's nice to not worry about overshooting. (I actually wouldn't mind seeing a 69-key E-to-C which would be the smallest layout that would be comfortable for me for playing organ and LH bass, but 73 is fine.)

On the SV1, the 73 keys go from E to E. I think that is a good choice for a weighted action, where I think those extra keys on top are more useful than having the extra keys on bottom would be (as long as I've got that low E). 76 would be okay too, but 73 usually works just as well, and provides a little more size/weight benefit compared to an 88.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Schmooster wrote:

88 - 12 = 76
61 + 12 = 73

It's really just the concept of adding or subtracting an octave from the other sizes.

For me, I never like the 76 key layout. It always feels weird to me when I stand in front of one - sort of like getting into a car with the steering wheel on the other side. I much prefer the 73 C-to-C layout if I was to go for that size.

Korg should definitely release a 73-key synth action Kronos (WITH AFTERTOUCH!!!)

Thank you Stephen! Argh I feel so dumb not spotting that - I was trying to 'C' a pattern in the notes thinking maybe it's so you can have two different sized boards centred for better playability. Actually now that you've mentioned it being C - C I want a 73 synth action version now too lol!! Thanks again Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: