Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KK categories problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: KK categories problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
Recently bought a KK, and just starting to get to grips with it.
One thing I'm confused about is the following issue...
I've been changing a few categories of the presets to (in my opinion) more appropriate categories. All goes fine when I save the preset with the new category, and if I scroll through the presets with the dial the new category for the presets I've changed can be seen.
However...if I want to access all the presets under their new categories by pressing one of the categories buttons i.e. synth, lead etc, things don't seem to be right, and lots of the newly-changed categories seem to be mixed up and a mess.
So, are the categories buttons based on specific preset numbers, eg only synth sounds can be saved in preset numbers 1-35, leads in preset numbers 35-67 ( as described in the manual) for the categories buttons to work accurately..or is there an option in the global menu, or similar, which allow for synth, lead presets etc to be anywhere, and for them all to be accessible using the categories shortcut buttons? I'm hoping it's the latter...
Any help appreciated, thanks!
Oli
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one? I've looked through the manual, checked the librarian etc but can't see anything. I guess I must be doing something simple wrong, or is it just a limitation of the KK?
black953mj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just had a chance to sit down and play around with this and I see what you are talking about. I thinks it is a bug. According to the manual if you press the category button it should go to the first one it finds that matches that category (it does not say it will show you all that match that category though, just jumps to the first it finds). In practice however, this does not happen.

I don't think it is based on preset numbers, I suspect that if you went in and reordered all your programs to be grouped together by category it would indeed jump to the first on it finds. This, however, seems like it would create more problems that it solves.

The test I did was to start from factory default, I changed the category of Stab King (the first patch) from synth to bass and saved it. According to the manual pressing the synth category button should now bring up the second program (the first one categorized as synth) but instead it still brings up Stab King (but with the Bass category button lit).

Long story short, you are not missing anything, I'm not sure this is how they intended it to work but it does seem odd. Fortunately for me I call up all my patch changes from my Kronos so the impact on my workflow in minimal but for others this could be a big deal.
Minimoog Voyager - DSI Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB-6 - Access Virus Ti2 - Korg Kronos 2 - KingKORG - Novation MiniNova - Roland JU-06 - Roland RD-700GX - Novation Bass Station Rack - EMU Proteus 2000 - Various other old musical gadgets and dodads
omvibraphone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. At least it means I'm not going mad Smile If it is a bug, it would be nice if a software update could fix it, although, apart from the two new sound banks, it seems they have rather abandoned it
Anyone else come across this problem, and more importantly a solution/ work around? For me it is quite a big and unexpected issue...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if it's at all possible to have your own sounds sitting at the top of teach catagory without losing the original sounds?
I suppose I could just copy each sound to the 201 and up section.
I still haven't got my head wrapped around the favorites thing yet.
Tha's probably what I need to do.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! Now I feel stupid! And very rightly so. The favorites is too easy!

Now I just need to learn how to play!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Robain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Categories Reply with quote

It looks like there are a few patches that are hard coded to the category buttons... so press synth and take not of whatever patch it loads up (let's say Patch 1 for now).
save that patch to an empty slot, then save whatever patch you want to load first when you press Synth, to Patch 1.
Every time you press synth it will load that patch.
You can use the Librarian and move it any where you wish, (so move it to Patch 5 position) when you press Synth again it will load Patch 5...
It looks like this is the same for all the 'special' patches.
one thing though, you cannot move a special patch over patch number 255, instead of 256, it will go to 1nad and 257 will go to 2 etc.. it looks like a fault in the firmware. Korg should make it so that you can specify which patch number each button takes you to.
TIP: when moving patches in the librarian, you can hold down control on your keyboard and select more than one patch to move.
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the issue I discovered too - fixed number of programs each category and always list in program order, disregarding category.

What you expect activating a category would be that wheel rotates to next in the category, disregarding jumps in program no, or?

Looked for "firmware" and "update" in all manuals, and searched forum for any firmware update - are there any?

It exist for the workstations and such as I can see.

Or does the librarian rewrite in such a way that any new in a category extend this by so many program numbers that are needed?

Thank you.
Best regards

For those handy men that want to patch in new crossovers for categories can look here:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=664993#664993

Make a sysex dump for global data, patch it with a hex editor of some sort, and then send it back to KingKorg.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system is very simple. The Category buttons are only for quickly jumping to certain items in the linear program list. Nothing more. Then you can select the next patch with the dial, as usual. So, when you make your own patch list you have to collect the similar sounds next to each other because the system cannot choose sounds continuously by category.

What is missing from the manual: As Robain said above, it seems the following patches are marked secretly in the file system by the factory. If you want you can move them to any other place (to another memory slot using the Librarian software), pushing the Category buttons will always jump there.

An important bug: don’t move them higher than #255 because the buttons cannot jump there. In this case the target will be calculated from #1 again.

The target patches and their original program numbers (which you can change) are:

1 - target patch for SYNTH button

(put your SYNTH sounds here, in between them)

36 - target patch for LEAD button

(put your LEAD sounds here)

68 - target patch for BASS button

(put your BASS sounds here)

96 - target patch for BRASS button

(put your BRASS sounds here)

109 - target patch for STRINGS button

(put your STRINGS sounds here)

137 - target patch for PIANO button

(put your PIANO sounds here)

152 - target patch for KEY button

(put your KEY sounds here)

177 - target patch for SE/VOC button

(put your SE/VOC sounds, and any other sounds - the rest of them - here)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: