Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a good 88-key MIDI Controller

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinorKey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good 88-key MIDI Controller Reply with quote

Hello,
can someone recommend me a good 88-key MIDI controller? I just want to control my synths with it - no DAW integration is needed.
The Roland A-800 looks good for example, but that one has only 61 keys. Maybe even 76 (or 73) keys would suffice. As far as key-action goes something semi-weighted would be nice - perhaps something like the M50? In any case, I'm not looking for fully/weighted piano-style keys.
The M-Audio Keystation popped up several times in my search results. Does someone have any experience with this one?
Many thanks.

• Korg M3 Xpanded 61 + EXB-M256 & EXB-FW
  • Yamaha Motif XF6 + FL1024M

Past:

• Korg M50 61
  • Korg TR 61 + EXB-SMPL & 64MB RAM
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents: I also was looking for a 8 key controller, though fully weighted would be good to for me.

I bought a MidiPlus Vega 88P (like 300 or 400 euro)... to be honest: it was terrible, very strange key response, I could play more dynamically on a non-weighted keyboard, also it has MIDI issues (did not work with my Kronos), regularly key note on messages were not sent, or velocity to 127 (resulting in a high volume note), of course fully unacceptable for live playing. I got another one with the same problem.

Than I bought a StudioLogic Acuna 88, I like it a lot (even bought 2, one for hte rehearsal room and one for home).

However, a ' good' keyboard is always very personal, so better to play it yourself (and connect it to the required synth).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MinorKey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the reply, Michel.
I took a look at it and it looks nice. As you say, it is always best to try these kind of things out before you buy them, but unfortunately there are not so many places where you can go in and actually do it - atleast not where I live. That's why it's always good to hear what other people have to recommend.
I'm still kinda considering the A-800 although that one only has 61 keys. Either way I'm not in a hurry - before I buy anything new I would first want to sell 2 of my 4 synths.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking for an 88-note keyboard, but then state you want unweighted keys. That's a tough one, as the purpose of an 88-note keyboard is to mimic the feel of a piano keyboard, which is weighted.

In 76 keys, I would recommend a used Roland Juno-Stage. It has a very good feeling keyboard (but no aftertouch) is light, and still has sounds built in. It's also quite inexpensive.

On the unweighted 88 front, to my knowledge, the only thing available is a used Roland RS-9 synth.

..Joe
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people seem to be happy using a Casio PX-5 stage piano as an 88-key controller. For a stage piano it's inexpensive and has a good keybed.
MinorKey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
You're asking for an 88-note keyboard, but then state you want unweighted keys. That's a tough one, as the purpose of an 88-note keyboard is to mimic the feel of a piano keyboard, which is weighted.

In 76 keys, I would recommend a used Roland Juno-Stage. It has a very good feeling keyboard (but no aftertouch) is light, and still has sounds built in. It's also quite inexpensive.

On the unweighted 88 front, to my knowledge, the only thing available is a used Roland RS-9 synth.

..Joe

Thanks.
I thought so that there aren't so many options when it comes to 88 unweighted keys. Now I have it confirmed.
Maybe weighted keys would work fine for me as well, but I'd really need to try them first. I don't know what I'll end up buying (if anything) if I don't get the chance to do so, but that's for me to figure out. I have limited experience with a real piano and I asked for unweighted keys to be more or less on the safe side in case ordering from the internet will be my only option.
In any case thank you for the comprehensive reply.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
MinorKey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Many people seem to be happy using a Casio PX-5 stage piano as an 88-key controller. For a stage piano it's inexpensive and has a good keybed.

Thanks for the tip.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Nektar Impact LX88 successfully with my Kronos2 61, pretty much in the way you are looking for. It has semi weighted keys, and after a bit of playing I have become quite attached to the way it feels.
For me it's a good compromise in weight for travelling, with 88 keys and playing the excellent Kronos pianos, and is also good for the synth style patches, with keyboard split.
It connects nicely to the Kronos with USB, which powers it too.
It does also have a MIDI out port, and to power it if using that instead I just attach a USB Ipod or phone style charger to the usb port.
The Nektar only weighs about 8kg, so the combined weight of it and the Kronos 61 is less than carting my Kronos 88 around.
MinorKey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response.
Thanks for the tip, this one looks great too. Once I finally manage to sell at least one of my synths I feel like it will be a serious contender.

DeltaJockey wrote:
I use a Nektar Impact LX88 successfully with my Kronos2 61, pretty much in the way you are looking for. It has semi weighted keys, and after a bit of playing I have become quite attached to the way it feels.
For me it's a good compromise in weight for travelling, with 88 keys and playing the excellent Kronos pianos, and is also good for the synth style patches, with keyboard split.
It connects nicely to the Kronos with USB, which powers it too.
It does also have a MIDI out port, and to power it if using that instead I just attach a USB Ipod or phone style charger to the usb port.
The Nektar only weighs about 8kg, so the combined weight of it and the Kronos 61 is less than carting my Kronos 88 around.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, one of the Roland RS-9 has come up on eBay. If you want an 88 semi with sounds, this will work nicely. (No, not me selling it.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Roland-RS-9-64-Voice-Synthesizer-/401197803667?hash=item5d6940a893:g:4y4AAOSwLF1X7aD-

..Joe
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget my reply, I have missed the weighted part (the one I mentioned has fully weighted keys). Sorry for the miscommunication and good luck finding a keyboard.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MinorKey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
FYI, one of the Roland RS-9 has come up on eBay. If you want an 88 semi with sounds, this will work nicely. (No, not me selling it.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Roland-RS-9-64-Voice-Synthesizer-/401197803667?hash=item5d6940a893:g:4y4AAOSwLF1X7aD-

..Joe

Many thanks. By the time I sell my older synths this will most likely already be sold, but thank you regardless.
It's always good to have more info.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
MinorKey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Forget my reply, I have missed the weighted part (the one I mentioned has fully weighted keys). Sorry for the miscommunication and good luck finding a keyboard.

No problem.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
Emma Gloor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Roland RS-9 64-Voice Synthesizer Reply with quote

Roland RS-9 64-Voice Synthesizer is one of the best MIDI controller I've ever seen.You may also used it.I hope it will be best MIDI controller for you.I've learned many things like that from best piano keyboard.Very Happy
MinorKey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Roland RS-9 64-Voice Synthesizer Reply with quote

Emma Gloor wrote:
Roland RS-9 64-Voice Synthesizer is one of the best MIDI controller I've ever seen.You may also used it.I hope it will be best MIDI controller for you.I've learned many things like that from best piano keyboard.Very Happy

Thanks for the tip.

Past:

• Korg M50 61
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: