Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-10 forces SQ-1 to turn off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: MS-10 forces SQ-1 to turn off Reply with quote

Hi there,
I put my question in MS-20 section as I think about my problem as a MS related one, but actually the SQ-1 is behaving strange:

When I connect CV out (- gate) to CV in (- trigger in) of MS-10 the SQ-1 turns off after about one minute. I have to wait for a few minutes again to be able to turn it on again and game starts again. When connecting SQ-1 via MIDI to say Roland JV-1010 everything's fine.

I already returned the first delivered SQ-1 as I thought of a technical failure, but second SQ-1 is doing the same thing.

Needless to say that I have already tried a several different batteries. Additionally, auto power off is switched off (should anyway work after 4 hours).

The only explanation I have is that MS-10 sucks far too much power (but I am rather a technical layperson).
If so:
- Due to a technical failure of MS-10?
- Due to wrong connection?
- Due to wrong SQ-1 settings?

I have not yet come across this behaviour and hope you guys will help me.

Thanks and regards, Andy

PS: Generally I have not found something relevant regarding connections SQ-1 to MS-10, only to MS-20. MS-10 is comparable but might be limited. If somebody has a link to more information: Thank you too!!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you haven't seen this already, here's a link to some SQ-1 FAQs:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/faq_tips.php

Does the SQ-1 MS-10 combination work and produce sounds as expected before powering down?

If the SQ-1 is powered from batteries, and the SQ-10 from its power supply, and the two units are connected together whilst placed on an insulating surface (e.g. wooden table), but to nothing else, except a pair of headphones to the MS-10 audio output, does the SQ-1 still power down after about 1 minute?

Can you check the cables used to connect between the relevant CV and Gate jacks are not internally shorting?

Andy P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks voip, checking what you have asked led to a first diagnose:

I have tried all your approaches and everything worked fine. Only when connecting MIDI shut down occurs again.

So reason seems to be MIDI connection either via MIDI out to USB Midisport or USB cable directly to Mac Mini (both led to shut down).

First clear statement: I am definitely using the wrong forum. Very Happy

What to do? I am using Logic 9 (it was not running when trying above) and El Capitan yet. I did not set up SQ-1 in Audio/Midi set up as I though it is not necessary.

Any further ideas are very much appreciated.
Andy P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have forget to mention:

It seems that shut down can be forced by just working at the computer (opening a new tab in firefox, open LibreOffice). Could be a USB overload?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I would try by powering via batteries and remove the USB cable between your Mac and the SQ1.
1. Get fresh batteries
2. Use MIDI out (jack to DIN) to Midisport or your Roland: Is it stable?
3. Remove the MIDI cable. Connect CV/Gate to MS-10. Is it stable? (To which inputs on the MS-10 do you connect? Which cables do you use?)

Shutdown to working on your computer is just random coincidence. It does not make sense to have it happening at opening a tab in firefox.
USB overload could be, but not very likely, except if you have a short in one of your connections somewhere. But you can try another USB port, or put a powered USB hub in between then.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: