Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording audio to Windows laptop from my Korg Krome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SingerChick1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Recording audio to Windows laptop from my Korg Krome Reply with quote

Hi there friends!

I am new to the Korg kingdom...and need a little help!

I used to record my Yamaha DGX505 through my M-Audio Fast Track interface to my Windows laptop (to my Cakewalk recording program)

I just bought my first Korg...a beautiful Krome 88. I am trying to figure out the cables I would need between my new keys and my M-Audio Fast Track interface. My Korg Krome has the double 1/4 inch as the outputs..and my M-Audio has two different inputs for the keys: either the white/yellow audio inputs OR the single 1/4 inch input. Which way do I go on this? I saw a mono adapter that takes the double 1/4 inch to a single 1/4 inch - is this the right adapter to use? Sheesh...I am scared, because I don't want to mess up my laptop or my keyboard.

Thanks for any help in advance Smile

Carolyn
Aka SingerChick1
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your Krome!

I'm a Krome owner, and use it for quite a bit of serious composition. As you get into it, you will find that it is a lot more powerful than you might expect. Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve, but it's nothing crazy.

On recording audio:

The two coloured audio connections (RCA is what they're called, by the way) are probably outputs, not inputs.

The one that you want is that 1/4 inch input.

The 1/4 inch input is an instrument level input, so the only risk you run is overdoing it on the Krome's volume.

How I would go about it:

First, obtain a cable that takes the two 1/4 inch outputs on the back of the Krome, (both called TS, for Tip/Sleeve being the electrical connections) and connects them to a single 1/4 inch stereo output on the interface side (called TRS, for Tip/Ring/Sleeve, allowing for two electrical connections as well as the ground). So that's a dual TS to single TRS cable.

Turn the volume on the Krome down to 0.

Hook the Krome and the interface to each other, and start something playing, gradually turning up the volume until the levels look reasonable.

Enjoy! (Responsibly.)
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which M-Audio Fast Track is being used? There seem to be several variants; the "Pro", the "Ultra" and at least one other. They differ in their capabilities and available connections. It seems that they are being marketed by Avid.

SingerChick1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Recording audio to Windows laptop from my Korg Krome Reply with quote

Thank you Koekepan, for your quick reply...

I appreciate your help. I understand a little better about my inputs/outputs...lol!

I am going to get the cable you suggested and definitely turn the volume down first on the Krome, before anything. I was thinking along those same lines...just didn't know any of the techy names for the cables, etc.
I love learning though (anything music, recording, production, etc). I appreciate all your feedback. I truly love this Korg - my best keys yet! I will probably discover even more capabilities it has as I go, like you said....

I will update soon with progress (or complete failure)!
Thank you again..

Carolyn
SingerChick1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Recording audio to Windows laptop from my Korg Krome Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, Voip!

My M-Audio Fast Track interface is the USB model...I bought it about 4 or 5 yrs ago, and it just says "Fast Track USB" on the box. It is for interfacing with instrument/vocals and my laptop, using the USB option.

I don't know any of the other models, but I have used the one I own many times and it works perfectly with all of my other instruments (keys, guitar, mics, etc)...

Should I be concerned that it WON'T be compatible with my new Korg Krome (due to the Korg being too powerful) or something?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this...

Thanks!

Carolyn
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Recording audio to Windows laptop from my Korg Krome Reply with quote

SingerChick1 wrote:
Should I be concerned that it WON'T be compatible with my new Korg Krome (due to the Korg being too powerful) or something?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this...

Short answer: no.

The question at hand is how much voltage the Krome drives to the interface. The KORG drives line level power out of its outputs, but the voltage is proportional to the volume it sends. If you turn the volume down low, the voltage will be low.

The M-Audio accepts instrument level voltage, which is lower than line level. Instrument level is what you'd typically get from an unamplified electric guitar.

If you're really nervous, there is another option to consider: get a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo cable, and run it from your Krome's headphone jack, in the front left-hand panel. Again, play it safe and start with low volume, but honestly it should be fine.

Other than the voltage level, there really is no major compatibility issue to consider here.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recording the Krome using the M-Audio Fast Track USB interface will not produce the best results, particularly with acoustic piano sounds, but with other sounds, too. The reason is that the interface is basically intended for mono sources i.e. intrument and mic, and most of the sounds in the Krome sound better when heard in stereo. It could be done by connecting the Krome's left and right outputs, with one to the instrument and the other to the mic inputs on the interface, but the mic input is basically higher sensitivity than the instrument input. Although the mic sensitivity can be varied, it is likely to have a higher noise floor than the instrument input. The Krome's audio outputs shouldn't do any harm to the interface inputs, and all that overloading will do is cause distortion.

My advice, though, would be to use an interface intended for stereo signals at line levels i.e. having at least two line level inputs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: