Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 is electribe a thing now? or Dead in waters?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: 2017 is electribe a thing now? or Dead in waters? Reply with quote

Hey all im just curious what the community's thoughts on the electribe 2 is now after some time and some patches have came and passed...I remember when it first came out even after one of the patches peopel still had issues and there was a lot still being asked as for fixes and simple yet useful feature requests for optimizing workflow and what not....

i got disconnected completely after i sold mine a year+ ago and was looking again at it and thinking maybe i could give it another shot..

So anyways really interested in hearing some feedback... thanks!
immon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the korg rep hinted on Reddit that there might be further developments. That was back in November I think.

Its quirks mean that only the most skilful users can deal with using it solo. But it can fulfill multiple roles in the studio very reliably so that's how I'm using it. Had it since it came out and definitely won't be selling it.
Cade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using mine in my all-hardware setup as a drum machine, sampler, and to sequence my hardware synths through MIDI.

Korg added pattern-chaining and a few of the fixes listed on the petition (1,190 signatures so far) in July of last year, but we haven't seen anything new (besides the red and blue versions) since then.

Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, Keith McMillen Instruments K-Mix, Korg Volca Bass, Cyclone Analogic TT-303, Novation Ultranova, Roland System-1, Roland JP-08 Boutique, Roland SH-201, Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, Korg Gadget v3 on iPad Air, Reason 10 on ZenBook Pro
brisket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an E2S about 3/4 months ago. There isn't really anything comparable at the price range.

I find it a really interesting mix of great ideas and bizarre shortcomings. The fundamental workflow and layout of it is really good, I think, but the problems are significant: minimal storage, the 13khz whine, and a very annoying sample management and editing system (even the microSampler had its own software editor years ago, why not this? thank God for Brako), and the limited polyphony.

Because of this limited polyphony, I basically use it as an 8-track drum machine with 8 tracks of synth sequencing (works really well with a Blofeld in multi mode.)

So I'm making music with it, having fun, but will definitely be exploring alternatives... and hoping Korg come up with some useful updates.
Pepper Astro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strictly a hardware fellow. I've owned this and that throughout the years.
I've now decided to work exclusively with the new electribes, particularly the synth...
selling off ALL other gear.
Shocked
I absolutely love it.
The size. The workflow. The sounds I can pull out of it.
Oh, it certainly can be so frustrating limiting at times...if not all the time...lol...
but it amazes me everyday even still.
Perhaps it forces me to go in a slightly different direction I would of not otherwise.
It's also fun to discover workarounds to some of those limitations.
It's truly been such an inspiring machine for me to say the least.
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it every day. Most frustrating and useful piece gear I've ever owned. I get a lot done with it. I like how I'm able to both compose songs and "sculpt" them.
Kites

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad there's still Electribe 2 love here. I've also had mine since the initial release date, but haven't invested good quality time with the beauty since the Eurorack and iOS apps have been swallowing me hole.

It's always been a fun and simple device to me, and like others - it's limitations are non issues and have always pushed creative workarounds for me as well. Still on 1.10

Should I sell it for more module(s) (ONE module?) if I can at least get over $200? Haha

I'd possibly buy it back one day or look into a Circuit.
Kites

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad there's still Electribe 2 love here. I've also had mine since the initial release date, but haven't invested good quality time with the beauty since the Eurorack and iOS apps have been swallowing me hole.

It's always been a fun and simple device to me, and like others - it's limitations are non issues and have always pushed creative workarounds for me as well. Still on 1.10

Should I sell it for more module(s) (ONE module?) if I can at least get over $200? Haha

Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kites wrote:

I know of several people who like using the E2 as a sequencer for their Eurorack. Have you done much with that? It's sequencer capabilities are worth $200 for me so I'll always keep mine. You also have a synth on top of it!
Kites

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't because I own a Beststep Pro, but might be worth a play. I wonder if we can use the touch pad with the arp or control an LFO or something via MIDI to CV.
forsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kites wrote:

ive got the circuit and a e2s

both different workflows and different machines

circuit has such a simple , want to play for hours workflow, tribes2s has a niec workflow but limited, I can make much more on the circuit then the tribe2s but the sampling and sequencing on the tribes is much better

next 2 items on my wants list op1 and octatrack
Kites

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microtonic- The Circuit looks way fun, does it come with an app to dig deeper?

Please get the OP-1, it's the only weapon in my arsenal that I've kept the longest and it'll most likely become a my family heirloom to past down the generations. Wink

Thought about an Octatrack for sometime (used prices may fizzle down) but the Digitakt looks quite appetizing and should be worth the wait.
forsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitakt is a glorified circuit

it plays samples but doesn't sample Sad
zach.drummond

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the Electribe 2 and 2s are dead in the water, but it is apparent that Korg are not giving them much priority. The updates should come much more quickly given the number of flaws that are still existent in the Electribe OS. There are so many annoyances with this unit. The biggest two for me are the previously mentioned 13 kHz noise, and that awful step edit mode for sequencing pitched instruments. Just give us a proper step sequencer! That's what this whole product is designed around!!

Brick wall Confused d'oh!
kofla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my S2, kept my MX.

S2 lost its funness because I couldn´t deal with the misteryphony, never know wich part its going to stop playing.

I had MX for 10 years now, pure FUN. When I bought S2 my spectations was (FUN x 2). Reality was ( FUN x 0 + FRUSTATION).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: