Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to connect my Triton Rack for use in DAW software?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaitana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: How to connect my Triton Rack for use in DAW software? Reply with quote

Hello, thank you for reading this. I am new to synthesizers and I just bought a Triton Rack in excellent condition. Although I can hook up my USB MIDI controller to the rack and hear the output through the headphone jack, connecting the module to the MIDI in/outs on my Delta 1010LT (M Audio) does not get any results in FL Studio, my DAW software. Do I need to buy a MIDI to USB cable? Can I directly hook up my MIDI cables to the sound card and get it to work in the DAW software?

thanks again[/b]
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you'll never get any sounds from the rack into the computer with any kind of midi connection - using midi cables or USB-midi converter. That's because:

MIDI is not audio.

Let's say you have some sheet music with the score of a song printed on it - you know - with the music notation, lyrics, and all. No matter what you do, that paper has no music on it that you can hear directly - someone or something has to read it, interpret it, and play it on one or more instruments, and sing the words, in order to hear the result with your ears.

So let's say someone listening to the Star Spangled banner sung by Whitney Houston writes down the notes and words they hear on paper in sheet music format. Is there any way to Fax the sheet music and have the original Whitney Houston audio come out on the other side? Nope, not possible. Sheet Music is not audio. MIDI is electronic sheet music and music control data, not the audio that is produced as a result.

The only way to get the sounds of the rack into the computer is to hook up the Audio Outputs on it to some Audio Inputs on the computer with audio cables. Midi has nothing to do with that. Midi is only useful for sending music data to the rack to control what it plays. Midi is control data. A better analogy is the paper roll with punched holes used by vintage player pianos, but a lot of younger people have never seen one of these.
shaitana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: s/pdif on triton rack Reply with quote

how to use this feature? i have a optical in / digital coax out converter that i hook up to the s/pdif in of my sound card. no audio though....using the headphone jack works but i would prefer digital. thanks for your help xmlguy
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: s/pdif on triton rack Reply with quote

shaitana wrote:
how to use this feature? i have a optical in / digital coax out converter that i hook up to the s/pdif in of my sound card. no audio though....using the headphone jack works but i would prefer digital. thanks for your help xmlguy

Start with the main analog output on the back of the rack. After you get that working, then you can try the digital output. With digital out you've got to manually match the data rate and other parameters between the input and output.
Ralph Ashford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: This is late, I know Reply with quote

I just read this reply and I wanted to say, VERY articulate reply. Comparing sheet music and MIDI is brilliant. The piano rolls too, but we know why that won't work. Anyway, superb answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: