Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to turn an effect (ifx) on and off with SW2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoaskedu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Is it possible to turn an effect (ifx) on and off with SW2? Reply with quote

Hello all...

I have been able to figure out how to add an ifx effect to my program but I would also like to be able to turn it off and on via one of the physical buttons (preferably "SW2") on the kronos.

Is there a way to set that up?

Any help would be appreciated.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I didn't find a simple way for cutting on or off. Perhaps it does exist.

But you can assign SW 1 or 2 as a Dynamic Modulation Source (Dmod) to the Dry:Wet parameter of your Ifx or Mfx or Tfx.
Then, You have to make settings in program song or sampling modes.( To know what to do, go to page 1118 and 1119 of the Parameters Guide. On page 1121 you will find the SW 1/2 assignments in order to set them to 0 (Off) or 127 (On) value.)

Well I just tried it. It works.

On the effect page, you have to put WEt/Dry to DRY. Source to SW2mod. Then you set Amount to the value you want (in fact, this setting replaces the Wet/Dry setting).

Then you go to the Common -> Basic/Vector -> Controllers page. Set the SW2 parameter to SW2 Mod. and the Mode parameter to Toggle.

If you have a Foot switch pedal, you can set it in Global mode, with "SW2" setting. So, it will toggle SW2 on and off and your effect on and off.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou is correct, wet/dry AMS is the only way. There is one exception where a switch can turn FX on and off and that is the built in FX of EP1 (several stomp box types) and CX3 (rotary only). You can switch these on and off via the Control Surface in Tone Adjust mode.
whoaskedu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That worked! So I now have a wah wah pedal for the electric piano! thanks for getting back to me so quickly Smile
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm coming back because I found another way to toggle effects on/off.

There is three Midi CC command :

# 92 : toggled IFX on/off
# 94 : toggles MFX on/off
# 95 : toggles TFX on/off

(see Parameters Guide page 1135)

So, you can :

- Send these Controls if inside a song
- or Attribute these controls to Knob 6 to 8 (inside de Program or Combi) and then attribute these Knob to Footswitch pedal. (Actually, SW1/2 can't be assigned to these midi controls, that's the reason why we must use another controller)

So the both ways are working. The advantage of the second one is that you can easily insert these controls inside a song. But in live playing, the first one is better.
whoaskedu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Liviou...

I haven't gotten into the "song mode" yet on my chronos since I use a daw for creating songs. Also I havent really had my kronos for that long. A bit of a newb you might say.

There is still so much to figure out! especially on the synthesizer side of things!

I appreciate all the help though and the spirit in which it is given.

cheers Smile
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those controls turn off ALL IFX/MFX/TFX, similar to that option in the global menu.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a neat trick with Certain FX, not all.
Found this somewhere today. Not sure if it showed up on my youtube feed or was on the forum in another thread.

Using parameters inside the particular effect to control the sound sending through the FX. He has a way of setting it up to mute with SW1 and Sound out with SW 2 or vice versa. And set up multiple timbres to respond to various configuration of SW controlled FX.

https://youtu.be/6vvL_P_zaQA

Compressor is obviously doing the job here, but i won't be surprised to find the same trick possible via some parameters of Limiter and maybe few other FX.

Of course this is controlling the sound sending through the FX rather than controling the FX on and off.
I haven't tried it in chain link effect set up to know but i think this method would be moot if any Effect without this capabilty were chained to the stereo compressor ifx being used.

Thanks for the tips about the CC numbers that function for IFX on and off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: