Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

audio setup for Korg Kronos 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lateralus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: audio setup for Korg Kronos 2 Reply with quote

Hi there! I've bought a new Korg Kronos 2 and am looking for some advice on buying headphones and an amp+speaker for my small home setup (total budget approx. US$450).

I'm currently using a borrowed Seinhesser HD 380 but read on various forums that Beyerdynamics 770/880/990 are some of the most frequently used headphones. I bought a Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO 32 ohm but found its response to be quite meh compared to the Seinhesser HD 380 (no amp), especially when it came to acoustic sounds such as Piano and Acoustic Guitar. I was under the impression that given the Korg headphone out is 33 ohm, the Beyerdynamics 32 ohm should respond much better than the Seinhesser 380HD with 54 ohm without an amp. Any suggestions/recommendations here? I've heard the Beyer DT990 is a much better headphone, but not sure whether to go for the 32 ohm or 250 ohm without a headphone amp.

Secondly, any suggestions on an amp+speaker unit that would be ideal for a budget home setup? Could this amp be used to power a higher impedance headphone (250 ohm) should I choose to buy it? Thanks in advance!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

About speakers, just have a look there : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=108916
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DT990 Pro 250 Ohms that works just fine with the Kronos. I'm pretty sure the 770 and 990 are very close to identical, the difference being the 770 is a closed design and the 990 is open. This makes the 990 a little nicer for listening/mixing because the bass can "escape freely", and the 770 nicer for recording vocals (because no sound can escape) or listening in a noisy environment (because no sound can get in). So if you don't like the 770 compared to the Sennheiser, I don't think you'd like the 990. They're good headphones with a very deep bass response but they're not necessarily entirely "flat" and if you're not mixing professionally you're better off picking something you enjoy listening to than something someone else says is "pro".
lateralus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I have a DT990 Pro 250 Ohms that works just fine with the Kronos. I'm pretty sure the 770 and 990 are very close to identical, the difference being the 770 is a closed design and the 990 is open. This makes the 990 a little nicer for listening/mixing because the bass can "escape freely", and the 770 nicer for recording vocals (because no sound can escape) or listening in a noisy environment (because no sound can get in). So if you don't like the 770 compared to the Sennheiser, I don't think you'd like the 990. They're good headphones with a very deep bass response but they're not necessarily entirely "flat" and if you're not mixing professionally you're better off picking something you enjoy listening to than something someone else says is "pro".

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Just to confirm, you use the DT990 250 ohms without a headphone amp?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm looking at it right now, I don't own a separate headphone amp. Never needed it either, the only thing the volume is iffy on is on cheap mp3 players or phones but even then it's usually enough.
wma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Focal Spirit Professional 217,65 € @ thomann ex.VAT

those may need alot of care - tends to break, but about the sound i think these compares with open-back headphones like dt880 with respect to sound stage, and alot of reviewer say that it deserves more for it's sound but complaints about that it breaks

about an amp, a good choice is Roland mobile UA-M10 also alot of reviewer say that it deserves more, this doesn't works as stand alone i believe, however the oppo ha2-se does and i think it's better sounding but its about double or triple the price, a good dac/amp enhances the sound in terms of sound stage, instrument seperation, and other aspects as well

speakers, i would suggest Adam A3X/A5X, Neumann KH 80 DSP,
Genelec M030 AM
lateralus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Yes. I'm looking at it right now, I don't own a separate headphone amp. Never needed it either, the only thing the volume is iffy on is on cheap mp3 players or phones but even then it's usually enough.

Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD650 which is an open back and seems to have better response than the Sennheiser HD380. The HD650 have 300 ohm though. Just wondering whether the HD650 would also require an amp with the Kronos given that you're using the 250 ohm Beyer without one?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt jt but it's always best to try, if that's an option.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lateralus wrote:

Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Sennheiser HD650 which is an open back and seems to have better response than the Sennheiser HD380. The HD650 have 300 ohm though. Just wondering whether the HD650 would also require an amp with the Kronos given that you're using the 250 ohm Beyer without one?

i'm using the sennheiser hd650 in my studio, it works fine without a headphone amp on the kronos.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also a DT990 Pro 250

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: