Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravenscroft 275

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guntun63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Ravenscroft 275 Reply with quote

Have any of you experience with Ravenscroft 275 where you are using Kronos as a master keyboard. As pianist, I am not satisfied with the German grand. Especially in the response and the hard sound in (f)f . I have worked a great deal with it but not found anything I enjoy playing with.
I think you have more possibilities to adjust the response on RC 275 than on German Grand. Comments?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try velocity curve 9?

if you are a pianist and you are using the german grand on a a weighted keyboard then you should use velocity curve 9 on the kronos, which was designed for that purpose.

- Press the global button
- press the basic tab
- in the basic section at the top of the screen you see a setting called: Velocity curve
- change the default value (4) to the value 9
- then right top menu
- save global settings.

Now try the german grand again, you should have a more natural feeling in the response of the piano.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ravenscroft 275 Reply with quote

guntun63 wrote:
Have any of you experience with Ravenscroft 275 where you are using Kronos as a master keyboard. As pianist, I am not satisfied with the German grand. Especially in the response and the hard sound in (f)f . I have worked a great deal with it but not found anything I enjoy playing with.
I think you have more possibilities to adjust the response on RC 275 than on German Grand. Comments?

I agree that the VI's are hitting it out of the park. I think its natural to be attracted to the latest shiny new thing.

I assume you are on the 73/88 Kronos. Keep in mind, the Kronos AP's are + 5 yrs old. Thats not necessarily a negative.

Anyway, the German Grand/Japanese grand record great. Have you really dug down, and edited the Kronos AP's ? Or added Fx ?
guntun63

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried with EQ and different velocity settings. Yes, I know that the global settings is best on level 9, and that has helped me a bit, but as I want a classical/jazz sound I can't use fancy effects, and it seems that I have to admit that the samples aren't good enough.
But what is AP? ☺
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guntun63 wrote:
I have tried with EQ and different velocity settings. Yes, I know that the global settings is best on level 9, and that has helped me a bit, but as I want a classical/jazz sound I can't use fancy effects, and it seems that I have to admit that the samples aren't good enough.
But what is AP? ☺

acoustic pianos
Gunnar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice of velocity curve ends up being somewhat subjective.

I have an upright piano in my living room and the curve that I feel comes closest to what I'm used to from that is velocity curve 3. This is on a Kronos 2 73, weighted keys. Both the default curve and the 9 curve give too much response at medium to high velocities, resulting in a fairly poor dynamic range for my playing style.

Another experiment I've made, which I can't really say was a superb success, but it was interesting none-the-less, was to try to make the lower velocities more mellow. I like the brightness when hitting the keys hard, but I also want the piano to be mellow when playing softly, but the brighter SGX pianos are still fairly bright at low velocities, though lower in volume. So I layered two SGXs in a combi and passed the first one through a zero-resonance lowpass IFX to soften it up a bit. The second one went straight to L/R, but had a velocity range which faded in at, say, 30, and grew to max at 127. That way, when I play softly, I get the mellow lowpassed version, and at higher velocities the original, brighter version, takes over.

If the SGX would have the ability to use velocity to modify the filter cutoff per key, like all the other engines, this would have been simple, but to my knowledge it doesn't. HD-1 based pianos could though..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: