Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The use of Kronos is a pad of frustration.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-ART

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: The use of Kronos is a pad of frustration. Reply with quote

Putting an iPad output in my decent Juno DS-88 (Roland, cheaper than 1000 Dollar), instantly I hear the iPad sound.
When I put in a iPad output in my very expensive Kronos X (line -switch), I cannot hear the iPad sound. Even after consulting the Kronos manual, I don't find the solution.
Can you help?

When I put a mike (mike switch) in the Kronos, I only hear a bad and hidden voice sound.
What to do? I like a clear and easy to reach sound contact.
Why is it so complicated using the Kronos ... which I still bought for more than 24 months ago as a quality & total solution packet? It's terrific despite the quality sounds and hundreds of internal possibilities.

I like to plead for a MUCH more user friendly approach of the Korg crew that occupies the updating of Kronos OS.
Despite manuals and Youtube help, it is a very big dedication to progress in terms of Kronos management.
In the last update of the Kronos OS, I adore the intuitive split and layer window (display).
Thanks, Korg, finally. Korg has to put energy working on a very much more intuitive use.

How I can approach the Kronos crew to suggest many other intuitive pages?
For example: when you are in the flow on the split- en layer page, I miss a simple audio rec & save button in this Split and layer page near the fantastic button that let you save a combi set on a very intuitive way.
As musician ( with a master degree) I don't need a machine that can do all on the most difficult way. I like to create music and like to use the Kronos platform as an orchestral tool, not like a frustration issue.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something as complicated as the Kronos (with it's myriad of options) is going to be difficult to use in one form or another. There are things that I'm not happy with but understand their design decision.

As for your audio input - you must assign a bus for the audio to be routed to. You can do this under:

Global Mode, then the "Audio" tab.

In here, you must assign the audio input to belong to a bus or insert. The top dropdown under Input can be changed to something else such as IFX12 or a specific bus. Personally, I use IFX12 since most programs and Combi's don't have effects on that unless it's a stereo limiter.

Then you can pan the audio for that channel if it's not a monophonic source.

Try that though, hopefully this helps.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The use of Kronos is a pad of frustration. Reply with quote

P-ART wrote:
Pu

I like to plead for a MUCH more user friendly approach of the Korg crew that occupies the updating of Kronos OS.
Despite manuals and Youtube help, it is a very big dedication to progress in terms of Kronos management.
In the last update of the Kronos OS, I adore the intuitive split and layer window (display).
Thanks, Korg, finally. Korg has to put energy working on a very much more intuitive use.

For example: when you are in the flow on the split- en layer page, I miss a simple audio rec & save button in this Split and layer page near the fantastic button that let you save a combi set on a very intuitive way.
As musician ( with a master degree) I don't need a machine that can do all on the most difficult way. I like to create music and like to use the Kronos platform as an orchestral tool, not like a frustration issue.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I think the Kronos is a set of features/sound engines/OS that essentially has roots in 1999
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_OASYS_PCI

So this ' house ' has gotten taller , been remodeled , and numerous rooms and additions got added practically every year, often behind the scenes.

If you accept this rough analogy, I don't see an architect doing a tear down, for simplicity.

Since everyone has a different spot on the learning curve, I think its natural
for most to get the very best.

Maybe the Krome is a better fit for those new to the Korg w/s approach.
Many of us had Tritons, Trinity, Extreme etc so it was easier to step inside the Kronos.

Other than that, I think the best approach for ' simplicity ' based W/s is to start with a blank piece of paper or a notepad, at the design level.

That would me my suggestion- start with a fresh approach based on all the great possibilities today
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like said above, there are so many options and routes to go about things in kronos, that something as simple as sending sound input is waiting for you to decide if to send the signal out through L/R main, 1&2 or 3&4 or to send it via IFX and then out. Maybe even more options.
Global is the default audio setting for all modes with access to audio set up, but you get the option to do a unique audio page setup for each program, combi and song. Just deselect "use global" audio set up. Of course you will have to know how to set up the audio page wether it be in global or program, combi and song mode. Sampling mode as well.

This type of issue comes up not just in audio page function and a simple solution used, is to find an available program or combi or song and set the audio page up in there as you want it and save the program or combi or song as you want it.

Setting up IFX setups like Vocoder can be more confusing than your basic audio page routing as it involves audio page setup and IFX routing. So it is easier to just select an open program, combi or song slot to set up a vocoder performance and save it under the name Vocoder setup. Then every time you need a vocoder, just call up the saved vocoder program. There are a few places that use audio input, such as some synth engines and IFX. The rest are Sequencer mode audio tracks and then sampling page. Flexible setup is very useful across the board. Just waiting for you to decide what setup.

Intuitive is great but the operative term seems to be "simplistic".
This type of issue always reminds me of the term "Open Architechture" that was part of the OASYS acronym. Basically Kronos is OASYS plus and minus a few things where it counts, especially the minus in the price.
When you are dealing with a powerful and versatile machine with very good adaptability, you will see that open architechture is actually ingeniously intuitive, intuitive on a level of creativity many of us are still waiting to catch on to.
My view may be biased in that i got Kronos to be challenge as much as i did to take my music to new growth. Maybe where i want to simplify my life i would be different, but after getting as far as i have in learning kronos, i am starting to believe that kronos has simplified many things for me. It was complicated getting to this level of simplicity and i still have more complication to cover.

This youtube video tutorial is a quick and easy starter .
https://youtu.be/G__AiKnjcYk

There is gain at the end of the pain. Enjoy the outcome, it is good stuff.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another youtube video that is a good exploration of sending sound out, from in tracks or combi. Same thing as involved in audio page for sending input sound through to any of the output options. Off is also an option and thats the option for silence/no sound out.

https://youtu.be/wp0Pt1bLbWU

I think the two videos will be enough clarification to make work more intuitive on kronos.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what you're trying to do with the iPad, but if for example you want to play iPad instruments from the Kronos and have the sound come back into the Kronos it's very easy. Connect the two devices with a USB cable (connector kit). MIDI will go out of the Kronos and audio back in. In the audio section of the program make sure USB is active and sent l/r output.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Here is another youtube video that is a good exploration of sending sound out, from in tracks or combi. Same thing as involved in audio page for sending input sound through to any of the output options. Off is also an option and thats the option for silence/no sound out.

https://youtu.be/wp0Pt1bLbWU

I think the two videos will be enough clarification to make work more intuitive on kronos.

Hah, I spent all day fighting to get this working yesterday.
Subscribed.
jones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's taken me 2 yrs to even begin getting into the kronos .
I bought omnisphere at the same time, it's simpler to use and does what I need mostly.
Kronos is an immersion game, I find I have to be all in or nothing makes sense.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Juno-DS88 is a wonderful keyboard, but it's designed for tease of use and a lower level of keyboard knowledge. it's designed to throw up on a stand and play. I want to get one as my 88-note keyboard so I can retire my Juno-Stage.

That said, the Kronos is far more complicated, and therefore requires more serious study. It's for more dedicated musicians that need far more out of a keyboard, and because of that, in order to do more, it has far deeper menus.

I am a pilot. I can pretty much fly any 1-engine piston airplane out there today- think of those as the DS88. But put me into a multi-engine fighter jet, and I can't even start the engines. Think of those as the Kronos. Both accomplish the same task, but have completely different work flows.

My only answer to you is to crack the manuals, and read up.

A lot.

..Joe
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There are many doorways to get inside the Kronos. Of course you could merely play the factory sounds.
But, actually you should consider the Kronos as a real comprehensive studio with its different instruments, its recording systems, sound mixers, effects units and so on.
So, it's absolutely impossible to avoid a long learning period in order to mastering it.

Don't forget that the Parameter's guide is about 1200 pages, and all the guides about 1800 pages !

Obviously, you can't get a so powerful system - as the Kronos - and get rid of a technical learning time all at once.

There are many videos on Youtube (like the Qui Robinez chanel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAZqstk5E8&list=PLx607dnAaOs72x7CuUgn-q1I2XUbnB9-r) very well done in which you can learn step by step.
You can follow the Operation Guide, from the first to the last page.

Because it is not a simple musical instrument (as a piano, a violin, ...) the Kronos as to be approached as a real complete studio. The intuitive and complete use of such an instrument can come only after learning.

That way you won't be frustrated. That's my opinion !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jones wrote:
b)I bought omnisphere at the same time, it's simpler to use and does what I need mostly.

a) Kronos is an immersion game, I find I have to be all in or nothing makes sense.

a) this is absolutely true. I have said the Kronos is a demanding mistress. All my other keyboards were sold since the Kronos is quite fantastic.

b) lets compare notes in a month. What is hosting your Omnis ?
jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
jones wrote:
b)I bought omnisphere at the same time, it's simpler to use and does what I need mostly.

a) Kronos is an immersion game, I find I have to be all in or nothing makes sense.

a) this is absolutely true. I have said the Kronos is a demanding mistress. All my other keyboards were sold since the Kronos is quite fantastic.

b) lets compare notes in a month. What is hosting your Omnis ?

Omnisphere is running in Reaper, everything seems to function, I can record kronos out directly into reaper as audio track or use it as a midi controller...or do the usual USB thumbdrive .

I do basic trax in the kronos seq but shovel it into reaper where I can see better whats going on with the bigger computer screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: