Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg XL won't power up! HELP! Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
this.is.maan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Microkorg XL won't power up! HELP! Please! Reply with quote

I've been using my microkorg XL for a couple of years now without any problems. I changed my power adapter about 6 months back, which is a lower amperage than the original one. It did work with the new adapter but now suddenly it won't power on. Not even with batteries.

I did learn from somewhere that adapters with lower amperage can harm the circuit. But not sure about it though.

My tech guy told me that I'd have to replace the motherboard, which is like buying a new one itself.
But after reading a few forums online, I learnt about this power regulator in the microkorg XL (BD00KA5WF). And that replacing it might fix the issue.

Now, before opening it up myself, I need some expert advice on this.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What's the amperage of your new power supply? My estimate is, that it needs at least 0.8A at 9V DC.
But the fact it worked for 6 months, makes me think that something else is the problem.

Can a lower amperage harm? Difficult to say. I would say it would be unreliable rather than broken.
I've seen some reports before of a fried board when the polarity was wrong.

You're sure the supply is not broken? Probably not, as the XL does not work on batteries anymore neither. But Just to be sure...

Your tech guy is right, you better buy a new one than replacing the motherboard. So, if you are comfortable enough with electronics, you can open it up and measure some signals around the power supply circuit of the board and see whether you can find something. Unfortunately I did not encounter a service manual or a schematic on line...

Good luck
this.is.maan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

What's the amperage of your new power supply? My estimate is, that it needs at least 0.8A at 9V DC.
But the fact it worked for 6 months, makes me think that something else is the problem.

Can a lower amperage harm? Difficult to say. I would say it would be unreliable rather than broken.
I've seen some reports before of a fried board when the polarity was wrong.

You're sure the supply is not broken? Probably not, as the XL does not work on batteries anymore neither. But Just to be sure...

Your tech guy is right, you better buy a new one than replacing the motherboard. So, if you are comfortable enough with electronics, you can open it up and measure some signals around the power supply circuit of the board and see whether you can find something. Unfortunately I did not encounter a service manual or a schematic on line...

Good luck

Hey OpAmp, thanks a lot.
The new power supply is 1A. But the original one was 1.7A. So I really thought this might be the probable reason for the XL going dead.
If the polarity was wrong, I'm guessing it would have gone dead sooner.

And I was trying to understand about this power regulator, the BD00KA5WF. If replacing it would be of any sort of help.

Also, if power supply is not the reason for the XL to suddenly stop working, what else could be?? Any clues on that?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed, you're right on the polarity issue. It would almost immediately be broken. I just wanted to mention it as the common problem that is reported when the power supply is changed and the board is dead afterwards.

You can try to replacing power regulator. They are very cheap. Still you could first measure the current one. It could very well be that the problem is somewhere else. It could be different things, a dead microcontroller, DSP, RAM, flash ... You'll need to measure some stuff to figure it out. The power regulator is a good candidate and manageable. The others are already more tricky I would say.

Ciao
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: