Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to connect MicroKorg to Reason 8 as external instrument?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Figaroamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: How to connect MicroKorg to Reason 8 as external instrument? Reply with quote

I know it is possible to use the microkorg in reason 8 as an instrument and not as a controller. I want to be able to draw the notes in and such. I've done a lot of research on it but can't seem to get it to work. I have a midi to usb cable. please help!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you check that your MIDI connection is working properly at first? E.g. using MidiOx SW and the keyboard functionality in it. You should be able to play the mK using the keyboard of your PC. If that is fine, it is a matter to set up Reason.

Good luck.
Figaroamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Did you check that your MIDI connection is working properly at first? E.g. using MidiOx SW and the keyboard functionality in it. You should be able to play the mK using the keyboard of your PC. If that is fine, it is a matter to set up Reason.

Good luck.

What is MidiOx SW? I'm not sure how to check that my midi connection is working properly. I'm using a mac by the way. Thanks!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

MidiOx is a handy Midi debug tool under Windows. It lets you monitor MIDI in and out ports and can also send MIDI data. It shows in fact the bytes going over the MIDI cable and what they stand for (note on/off etc).

On Mac you can try the snoize app: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=109014.
Note it does not seem to allow sending out notes from that application, but you may monitor the output port to the mK in case you play a track in Reason which is supposed to control the mK.

Have fun.
Figaroamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

MidiOx is a handy Midi debug tool under Windows. It lets you monitor MIDI in and out ports and can also send MIDI data. It shows in fact the bytes going over the MIDI cable and what they stand for (note on/off etc).

On Mac you can try the snoize app: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=109014.
Note it does not seem to allow sending out notes from that application, but you may monitor the output port to the mK in case you play a track in Reason which is supposed to control the mK.

Have fun.

Okay so according to the snoize app I am connected, I can see the notes come up when I hit keys on the mk. This is a good sign but I don't know where to go from here. I have figured out how to use the mk as a midi controller now but I still can't get the sounds from the mk to play.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if your Reason is set up correctly and you play a track, you should also see the notes passing by via snoize.
Unfortunatly I can not help you on Reason. It should be something like a track, where the instrument is MIDI Out, in particular your usb-midi cable. Make sure also that the used MIDI channel is the same as the one configured on the mK.

Bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: