Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear setup - microkorg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdc333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: gear setup - microkorg Reply with quote

hi! can i have microkorg doubling as a synth and a controller for ableton at the same time, or do i need usb for that? would minilogue be a better option then? (i'm still on the fence about those two).

also, i have edirol fa-101 soundcard with midi input and output, how would i go about connecting microkorg/minilogue with ableton and sq-1? so i can control my DAW with the synth and preferably have sq-1 to control both the synth and DAW.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MicroKorg can control Ableton whilst also playing its internal sounds, but a USB to MIDI interface would be needed for doing this. The Edirol FA-101 should be OK as an interface, both for MIDI and for taking audio out of the MicroKorg. For audio, the MicroKorg L and R outs should go to the FA-101 inputs 1 and 2, for stereo, with the FA-101 mixer channels panned Ch1 left and Ch2 right to get the stereo effect (or whichever pairs of channels are used).

The Minilogue USB port allows it to appear as a MIDI interface, so no extra hardware would be required to control Ableton.

The SQ-1 MIDI out could be connected to the MicroKorg or Minilogue MIDI in, using the supplied adapter lead, in order to control them.

mdc333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification! one more thing, could i use midi thru on microkorg to send midi from sq-1 to ableton so i could sequence ableton instruments whilst also sequencing microkorg?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI thru should work OK for passing SQ-1 MIDI to both MicroKorg and on to Ableton. However, using MIDI thru on the MicroKorg means MIDI messages generated by the MicroKorg itself will not be passed to Ableton.

For getting MIDI messages generated by the SQ-1 AND the MicroKorg to pass to Ableton would require a two-input MIDI merger to merge the MicroKorg MIDI out and MIDI thru outputs.

mdc333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. but if a synth has usb then it's no problem? if i want the pc to be master clock, sq-1 controls ableton via usb and synth via midi out, synth controls ableton via usb and vice-versa? btw, if the sequencer can control both pc and synth at the same time, how do i choose where the signal goes? or does it go simultaneously to both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: