Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential ES Sampler buyer - seamless loops?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordradish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Potential ES Sampler buyer - seamless loops? Reply with quote

Hey, folks,

I'm thinking about buying an ES sampler. One question, though... I play a lot of ambient (in the classical sense of the word) music with drones and such, and have a lot of samples I can use. Is there a way to make a synth pad sample loop, seamlessly, some sort of crossfading the start with the end kind of thing? And what about between them, say if I had an Am pad drone on one pad, and a G drone on the other... can I get them to crossfade when I switch? This is a feature of key importance, and would probably be a make or break kind of thing for me.

If I can, how is it done?

Thanks in advance.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF it's just the normal ES-1 and you wanna feature a lot of extended samples (and don't want to play them back them pitched down, although consider that option) -- it's probably not what you want for that purpose. At any given time, you only have access to a total pool of 95 (if MONO) seconds of samples. This is fine for a number of 1-hit elements (i.e. individual drums) at a slow tempo, but you're not gonna have the space for any number of extended synth samples.

It's also not really intended for chromatic playback of samples either (no "keyboard part") but there's nothing stopping you from taking really short synth samples (single-cycle), setting a loop point and having it loop endlessly that way. You can use Motion Sequencing to "play" it but that consumes the only recorded knob change for that part, so you're left with nothing but the barebones EG for any other modulation.

ES-1 has a lot to offer--you can run another synth through the input and gate/effect it (has a great tweakable delay separate from the multiFX). But you probably need to look for a good polysynth as your main source of ambience.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the elective sampler range ,but from your description of playing back premade sounds ,the Octatrack is excellent for this stuff.
More expensive,but hey,let's treat ourselves Smile
lordradish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would actually be something that would be tied into a particular composition, let's say, 3 five second pad samples that I could trigger, and just have them loop, seamlessly, so I don't need to have them all mapped out chromatically... I'd have specific ones for use in the specific song.

I'm asking about the ES-2. OCtatrack would be nice, but I don't want to spend that kinda dough until I get my feet wet.

I have an Access Virus TI2, so I'm covered on the polysynth. I'd just like to free up the synth for other things, so I don't need to just play drones on it.

Thanks.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry - I understand.
lordradish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else?
Brakio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give more details on your needs?

Do you want to do it live? or just compose?

You can probably prepare a pattern to do what you want but contrarily to the octatrack, and as far as I know, there is no direct way to cross-fade your samples.

If you intend to do it live, I would say that you can't do it ~cleanly~ without using an external midi controller.

With the ES2 you can prepare a loop such that you have a sample start point (i.e. beginning of the played sample), a sample end point (i.e. end of the played sample), and a loop start point.

1) Whis 'Amp EG.' inactive:
When 'note on' is received the playback starts from the start point, and while the 'note off' is not received, if the playback reach the end point it will continue from the loop start point to the end point indefinitely. When the 'note off' is received the playback is stopped immediately (i.e. There is no part of the sample that can be used specifically for the release/decay). But you can use effects to have some decay.
With this mode you may use automation recording of the volume of the two samples in order to cross-fade manually between them.

2) Whis 'Amp EG.' active:
When the 'note on' is received, playback starts from the start point and may continue to play (and loop) even if 'note off' is received. The volume is fading in according to 'Attack' parameter and will fade out according to Decay/Release parameter.
With this mode you may use attack and decay parameters to do what you want, but it can take some time to find the parameters to have a good result.
lordradish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly for a live setting... so as I'm understanding it, I can't crossfade a sample with itself? In other words, I couldn't have, say, a 10 second pad sample drone on seamlessly until I turn it off?
Brakio wrote:
Could you give more details on your needs?

Do you want to do it live? or just compose?

You can probably prepare a pattern to do what you want but contrarily to the octatrack, and as far as I know, there is no direct way to cross-fade your samples.

If you intend to do it live, I would say that you can't do it ~cleanly~ without using an external midi controller.

With the ES2 you can prepare a loop such that you have a sample start point (i.e. beginning of the played sample), a sample end point (i.e. end of the played sample), and a loop start point.

1) Whis 'Amp EG.' inactive:
When 'note on' is received the playback starts from the start point, and while the 'note off' is not received, if the playback reach the end point it will continue from the loop start point to the end point indefinitely. When the 'note off' is received the playback is stopped immediately (i.e. There is no part of the sample that can be used specifically for the release/decay). But you can use effects to have some decay.
With this mode you may use automation recording of the volume of the two samples in order to cross-fade manually between them.

2) Whis 'Amp EG.' active:
When the 'note on' is received, playback starts from the start point and may continue to play (and loop) even if 'note off' is received. The volume is fading in according to 'Attack' parameter and will fade out according to Decay/Release parameter.
With this mode you may use attack and decay parameters to do what you want, but it can take some time to find the parameters to have a good result.
Brakio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordradish wrote:
Mostly for a live setting... so as I'm understanding it, I can't crossfade a sample with itself? In other words, I couldn't have, say, a 10 second pad sample drone on seamlessly until I turn it off?

Hum.... sorry I may have miss understood your needs: I thought you wanted to cross-fad between two drones...

just fading in or fading out one sample would be possible without any problem, for sure.
You can let play your sample as long as you want if you don't switch to another pattern. But if you need to switch between two patterns, there is currently no way (some tricks may be used but it will not be as good as if the function was specifically implemented in the electribe).
bashu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite possible that this magical man R Beny has made a video that answers your questions.
lordradish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bashu wrote:
It's quite possible that this magical man R Beny has made a video that answers your questions.

That looks like it would only work with drones actually generated by the electribe (and that wasn't the sampler he was using). I'd like to be able to use my own samples. But thanks, I'll see what else I can find out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: