Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving a song as audio file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Saving a song as audio file Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I am new on this forum and planing to buy a workstation to my son for his birthday.
I see there is a midi sequencer and audio recorder, but i would like to know if he would be able to export his songs as an audio file (mp3 or else) to use it outside the Kross and if yes what would be the procedure.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to your son!

The Kross will export to WAV internally, and save it on the SD card.

It's pretty straightforward; you hit the audio record button, choose the recording options, run your song, and then select the export option to write it to your SD card.

I outlined how to do this in the following thread:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106772
Philou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Koekepan, that is very well explained !
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy to help.

I stand by my assessment that the Kross is a perfectly viable first choice for a young musician who wants a workstation - but I also recognise its limitations. There's every chance that you could describe your son's musical needs, and a Kross would turn out to be an excellent and relevant choice, but (just as an off-hand thought) would you care to describe the use case a bit more? Is he a keen pianist? Does he already compose music? Does he have a favoured genre or approach? Does he have any other synths already?

Maybe we could propose some other ideas, if you're not totally sold on the Kross, or we could suggest some ways of supplementing it, either immediately or down the line, so as to bring out more of its potential (future gifts?) and make it more useful to him.

No pressure, just thinking aloud.
Philou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Koekepan,

He is 14 and has been playing around with a Casio ctk 900 (which sounds quite ok actually being a casio), a mixture of pop/rock/electro.

He needs now to use a real sequencer to record properly his first songs. Due to travel/study obligations it had to be something with batteries, so the choice was very rapidly made and luckily i found a very good deal on a second hand one!

Cheers,
Philou
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool!

Yes, the Kross is a step up, but don't throw out the Casio just yet. The Casio and the Kross can play well together, using MIDI. Adding a MIDI cable lets you use the Kross to actually sequence what's happening on the Casio, for example.

Another cool thing to consider is something like a cheap MIDI parameter controller, such as the BCR2000. Highly recommended!
Philou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news, thanks!
He will be happy to include some of his favorite ctk 900 sounds in his compositions then.
As for the midi parameter controler it does seem very interesting but we'll leave that for the future, he has time for that!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few approaches to getting the CTK900's sounds into the compositions, that you may care to consider.

One is to sequence the Casio with the Kross, feed the audio from the Casio into the Kross (with appropriate patch cables) and save it as a stem, effectively, on the Kross.

Another might be to get a cheap mixer, and record out of that. For instance, the Behringer Q502USB will give him two stereo channels in (one for each keyboard) plus one for a mic, or whatever. The USB connection can then link directly into a computer for recording purposes. Alternatively, a cheap Tascam or Zoom recorder will do the same job.

If he is really devoted to music, these may make great gifts later on.
Philou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being, he will stick with the first method.
It was tough on my wallet to get him the Kross so now it will be up to him
to save/work for any extra music material he feels he needs (unless i get suddenly rich! which is not the odds right now) and that way prove his devotion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: