Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-AUDIO KEYSTATION 88S --> KORG VOLKA KEYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fheo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the product at the following link work Also as midi thru?

I mean if I use the midi in and midi out of the m-audio 2x2m

Thank you in advance

M-Audio M-Track 2X2M https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01FFH5YTO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bHl6yb96TMP6E

Koekepan wrote:
I won't say that it's a smoking gun, but it does suggest some new ideas.

If the Volca is fine and operational by itself, and the MPD32 is driving it successfully, then we know a few things:

Not the MIDI cable
Not the Volca's central electronics
Not the Volca's MIDI port

If the keyboard is the problem, but your computer recognises MIDI signals coming from it, then it may be a signal issue from the M-Audio keyboard.

For a variety of reasons, MIDI signals can actually operate on a range of voltages, and it's possible that the voltages coming from the M-Audio are just not good enough - this is why a powered MIDI-Thru box (such as one from Kenton) might work, by producing a better electrical signal.

Digression: a MIDI-Thru box such as the Kenton Thru-5 takes in one MIDI signal, and then multiplies it across a number of outbound MIDI ports. This lets you do things like have a sequencer produce data for multiple channels, and then have a number of Volcas all picking up the channel that is relevant to them. I use this to get multiple voices out of my Volcas and have my own Volca orchestra.

I don't know how much of an electrician you are, but if you have a multimeter, you can use it to figure out whether perhaps the M-Audio is sending low voltages that the Volca might not be reliably picking up.

It strikes me that it's also possible that the M-Audio is somehow not sending a useful Velocity value for each note signal, but I doubt it.

I hope that these thoughts help you.
fheo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the product at the following link work Also as midi thru?

I mean if I use the midi in and midi out of the m-audio 2x2m

Thank you in advance

M-Audio M-Track 2X2M https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01FFH5YTO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bHl6yb96TMP6E

Koekepan wrote:
I won't say that it's a smoking gun, but it does suggest some new ideas.

If the Volca is fine and operational by itself, and the MPD32 is driving it successfully, then we know a few things:

Not the MIDI cable
Not the Volca's central electronics
Not the Volca's MIDI port

If the keyboard is the problem, but your computer recognises MIDI signals coming from it, then it may be a signal issue from the M-Audio keyboard.

For a variety of reasons, MIDI signals can actually operate on a range of voltages, and it's possible that the voltages coming from the M-Audio are just not good enough - this is why a powered MIDI-Thru box (such as one from Kenton) might work, by producing a better electrical signal.

Digression: a MIDI-Thru box such as the Kenton Thru-5 takes in one MIDI signal, and then multiplies it across a number of outbound MIDI ports. This lets you do things like have a sequencer produce data for multiple channels, and then have a number of Volcas all picking up the channel that is relevant to them. I use this to get multiple voices out of my Volcas and have my own Volca orchestra.

I don't know how much of an electrician you are, but if you have a multimeter, you can use it to figure out whether perhaps the M-Audio is sending low voltages that the Volca might not be reliably picking up.

It strikes me that it's also possible that the M-Audio is somehow not sending a useful Velocity value for each note signal, but I doubt it.

I hope that these thoughts help you.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read Italian, but I suspect that the answer is no. I think that is just a USB audio/MIDI box for a computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: