Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Using K-Sounds Organimation with a Vent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K is for Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Anyone Using K-Sounds Organimation with a Vent? Reply with quote

Hi,
So I am thinking of purchasing the K-Sounds Organization sound library, but I have a feeling that despite what sounds like an improved internal Leslie sim, I will still want to use my Vent.

Normally I run the CX-3 engine out of another output and shut of the internal preamp. Not running out of the main L/R means that it bypasses the effects engine. I know this can be solved by running into the audio inputs and routing through the effects, but this never sounds as good to me as going straight to on of the other outputs.

The literature for Organization seems to point to the heavy use of the effect section to shape the tone and sound of each organ. I am wondering if the set would be an improvement over the stock sounds if the effects are bypassed?

Thanks,

Bill
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Organimation and have had a couple of Vents and a Burn. Organimation does make heavy use of effects (usually 2 of them are rotary inserts). If you are going to use a Vent, you don't need Organimation. I only use the Kronos organs to play early Genesis and Organimation is wonderful for emulating the sound of a spinet on chorale speed (Tony Banks didn't use tremolo so the Vent really wasn't necessary for me).
K is for Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

If you were not playing early Genesis material and instead using the CX-3 engine to cover more traditional rock and blues B3 settings, would you be ok with leaving the Vent at home and gigging with the Organimation Leslie tweaks? Wish you could demo KRS libraries like you could EXs libraries.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K is for Kronos wrote:
Hi Bill,

If you were not playing early Genesis material and instead using the CX-3 engine to cover more traditional rock and blues B3 settings, would you be ok with leaving the Vent at home and gigging with the Organimation Leslie tweaks? Wish you could demo KRS libraries like you could EXs libraries.

I usually only play Genesis, but I did sit in on a show last weekend and used an Organimation-based patch in Summer of '69. It sounded pretty damn good in mono through the PA. I sold my Vent about 2 months ago because I wasn't using it at all. If you still have one, I'd say hang onto it. If you're not that picky about the Leslie sound, Organimation might be ok for you.

Have you checked out Keven's site? He's got lots of samples:

http://ksounds.com/product/organimation-tonewheel-organs-kronos-format/
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the library and it is really great live!!!!! We played some grand funk and it was awesome! Love the library!
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Organimation library. I use the internal Leslie. They make heavy use of the effects and effects tweaking to give that unique Organimation sound.

One patch I use has 4 Leslie effects! I didn't even know the K2 had that many! lol. Honestly, for me I'd rather run a simple setup with as few pieces of equipment as possible. Makes for a reliable show and easy In/Setup/Out. If I wanted truly authentic sounds, I'd purchase a 122 and be done with it!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I played mostly organ all night and got a lot of compliments on the organ sounds. Even the ballads were awesome! The library is totally worth the $40. The difference is that the Organimation library sounds "thick" and rich compared to the thinner and brighter stock or newer sounds you typically get.
There are so many IFX in each patch - no wonder.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aron,

I see in your tagline you are a unrealBook user. I too was a long time user of unrealbook, but then someone recommended ForScore as they were constantly releasing frequent updates with improvements, enhancements, etc.

I am now totally hooked on ForScore. I even have my scores setup to change SETLISTS on the K2 using an iRig Midi Cable. Works like a charm, has a built in media player you can slow down/speed up/loop difficult pieces.

Give it a look.
K is for Kronos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's input. I went ahead and purchased the KRS 85 organ library. My initial impressions are that it is a much more animated and richer sound set than the KRS 06 improved organ library from Korg. The rotary implementation is much better than the stock or KRS 06 sound libraries.

Does it compare to the Vent, no, but I didn't figure it would as there are built in limitations in the CX-3 and Kronos engines, but I could see myself feel comfortable with leaving the Vent home. I play in a band that does prison ministry and our setup and tear down times are very limited. If I can eliminate the extra cables (power and audio) as well as needing to use an aux out on the Kronos and a mixer, make the trade off worth it to me.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I see in your tagline you are a unrealBook user. I too was a long time user of unrealbook, but then someone recommended ForScore as they were constantly releasing frequent updates with improvements, enhancements, etc.

Yes, I wrote it. Thanks for the tip though!

BTW: I believe I put in MIDI and set lists first too! unrealBook mobile has slow down and looping too. You should try wireless MIDI, even better than the cable!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I went ahead and purchased the KRS 85 organ library

Organimation rocks live! I love it! Mono versions as well!
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Organimation, and I use a Vent, but not together. Although it did wonders for my previous Hammond, the Vent offers surprisingly little benefit to the Organimation patches.

I have some modified stock CX-3 patches that I route mono to aux output 1, and from there to the Ventilator. However, I'm using them less and less over time. For short gigs that have to be set up quickly I often don't even bother hooking up the Vent anymore.

I still prefer the Vent over any other Leslie sim, but most of my performances these days are with a loud-ish 5-piece classic rock and blues band where the quality difference isn't really that apparent or important. And it's especially irrelevant for those occasions where I'm sending mono to FOH.

Honestly, the main reason I hang on to the Ventilator is the hope of someday being able to add a Crumar Mojo to my rig.
K is for Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitflipper,

I share your feelings regarding the Vent and I too am hesitant to get rid of it, especially if I want to return to a Nord keyboard setup.

Any chance you might be willing to share your modified Cx-3 with Vent patches? I am always looking to see if my tweaks using the Vent and the CX-3 engine compare with others.

Kind Regards,
Bill
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Vent but I think the leslie sim is actually the stronger part of the Nord clonewheel engine.
K is for Kronos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree about the latest closed mic Nord Leslie sim, but older model Electros and Stages benefitted greatly from the Vent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: