Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kornos on Sierra (Bad audio)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
Class Compliant as in is its name Suggests is "Compliance"

yes, you can watch all netflix or youtube over that in your kronos without a hitch, thats's what class compliance gives you yet another soundcard.

But Running Low latency/Realtime audio i/o over that is another story and no guarantee.

Audio Dropouts an glitches will occur due to sync problems and as well as could be poor usb clocking(crystals) on the hardware and not just being able to keep up.

There might be some tweaks here and there to get it working to some extent, but Knowing that these issues can come up any time, would you be comfortable using that in a gig or while recording.

I've used it with Ableton and Sonar without a hitch. But as Dan pointed out, it sounds like it's a change on the Mac end of things that made things stop working.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that Korg is on to it.

For me it's always have been very unstable at low latencies (128 samples or below regardless of WASAPI,KS or through asio4all). It works for a while and as soon as you go with a bit heavy combi and on daw side say just omnisphere , it goes south in no time.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
amit wrote:
Class Compliant as in is its name Suggests is "Compliance"

yes, you can watch all netflix or youtube over that in your kronos without a hitch, thats's what class compliance gives you yet another soundcard.

But Running Low latency/Realtime audio i/o over that is another story and no guarantee.

Audio Dropouts an glitches will occur due to sync problems and as well as could be poor usb clocking(crystals) on the hardware and not just being able to keep up.

There might be some tweaks here and there to get it working to some extent, but Knowing that these issues can come up any time, would you be comfortable using that in a gig or while recording.

I've used it with Ableton and Sonar without a hitch. But as Dan pointed out, it sounds like it's a change on the Mac end of things that made things stop working.

From my limited experience, I think its an apple issue, in how Sierra handles audio. As a realist, I am not confident that Apple will address it promptly. With my experience at large cos, it takes some pressure from various significant sources for it to move up on the fixit list.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
It's great that Korg is on to it.

For me it's always have been very unstable at low latencies (128 samples or below regardless of WASAPI,KS or through asio4all). It works for a while and as soon as you go with a bit heavy combi and on daw side say just omnisphere , it goes south in no time.

There may be a clue in there, whenever I've used it I've never used the Kronos internal sounds except maybe a piano when I was checking a song. But basically I used it to play VSTs, not to combine VSTs or playback with Kronos combis.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

From my limited experience, I think its an apple issue, in how Sierra handles audio. As a realist, I am not confident that Apple will address it promptly. With my experience at large cos, it takes some pressure from various significant sources for it to move up on the fixit list.

If I understand correctly, the specific issue that we're working to address is that Apple has apparently discontinued support for a previously supported USB streaming mechanism, specifically a mechanism for synchronizing data packets. So, not really a bug - just a change in their spec to which we now have to conform!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
GregC wrote:

If I understand correctly, the specific issue that we're working to address is that Apple has apparently discontinued support for a previously supported USB streaming mechanism, specifically a mechanism for synchronizing data packets. So, not really a bug - just a change in their spec to which we now have to conform!

Hi Dan, yes, in global/audio mode, my only workable option is to keep all settings in OFF.

I am on sierra, and this is my first experience using a MBP and USB routing and the Kronos global audio settings. I am not as authoritative being a newbie.

And I can't speak for anyone else who have been surprised by USB/macbook audio/sierra problems.

I did have a long discussion with apple 2 months ago, and explained my concerns about potential downsides of using an 'untested' OS (that passed every demanding user criteria) - they were adamant I should go to sierra for the good reasons they stated.

I am not sure I can easily roll back to El Cap. I have already gone to MS3 and am fully upgraded on Spectrasonics. These apps might require a sync up with sierra.

I am not as diplomatic in stating the issue. For Apple to remove an important feature in sierra that many depend on is much worse and severe than a 'bug'.
bmtg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any news on this topic? I'm a new Kronos user and have encountered this audio degradation from both the iPad and MBP.

Cheers
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmtg wrote:
Has there been any news on this topic? I'm a new Kronos user and have encountered this audio degradation from both the iPad and MBP.

Cheers

i think we are counting on some type of driver from Korg, to compensate what Apple did to audio over USB.

Assuming that, I have not seen an announcement/update.

Along that, Korgs update history w/Kronos OS seems to be annual, around Dec/January.

There are no promises this will happen. I suggest to plan accordingly.
ybobo64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: OS Sierra and bad audio Reply with quote

I also have that issue. Did anyone tried to go trough an audio interface instead of going trough out the Mac? Apple said that with the latest update of Sierra they fixed that issue but when i did updated it the problem was still there.
Kronos X73, Logic Pro 9, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Reason 8, Nanopad, Padkontrol, Leap motion with Geco App, Arturia v4 pack, IK multimedia Total Studio 3, iPad air 2, iMac i7, Roli Seaboard Rise, many plug-ins and iPad app.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: OS Sierra and bad audio Reply with quote

ybobo64 wrote:
I also have that issue. Did anyone tried to go trough an audio interface instead of going trough out the Mac? Apple said that with the latest update of Sierra they fixed that issue but when i did updated it the problem was still there.

I don;t have an audio interface. I recall, at least in theory , you avoid the USB audio problem by having a audio interface.

I think that discussion is part of another similar topic.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: OS Sierra and bad audio Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ybobo64 wrote:

I don;t have an audio interface. I recall, at least in theory , you avoid the USB audio problem by having a audio interface.

I think that discussion is part of another similar topic.

Yes, this is correct. The problem is only with using the Kronos as Audio Out. You can record from the Kronos without problems, but you need to divert Audio Out to either the built-in output of the Mac or to different external audio interface.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little surprised to see this on the Korg USA site:

Kronos section for Sierra:( Korg is stating 'support " on the chart)

http://www.korg.com/download/global/support/os/pdf/mac_compatibilitychart_KORG_en.pdf

I have not seen a ''patch " by Korg to address the distortion/audio breakup. Maybe they are rolling it into the next Kronos OS update and I haven't yet seen that.

Perhaps this chart is ambiguous with its check list ? Is this Korgs way of saying they are working on it ?
andalve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still have the same issue, no update at all.
Do you guys found something to make this work?
I tried replacing the kext but it did not work and had to do a restore
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I did get the Kronos plus my daw to work with the original Sierra and had good results,(Audacity failed though).
I’ve recently updated to High Sierra and found some improvements,my set up no longer needs further setting tweaks and works as is.
Audacity also works as intended.

I’ve already mentioned some suggested tweaks that may help,in an earlier post, but apparently these don’t work for several users.
Also,I can't really guarantee the update to High Sierra will "cure" any problems.

One consideration is that it could be related to which Mac model and year is being used….I have a Late 2013 iMac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: