Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Make your korg sound like a Roland VP-330"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
purple_mf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: "Make your korg sound like a Roland VP-330" Reply with quote

Hi. I have found a tutorial on youtube that shows how create a patch that replicates a sound from the Roland VP-300 with the microkorg.

(see video here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIKNhF57G0&feature=related

The video show the parameters and i have tried to input them into the R3. However, so far i am having no luck, being a noob and all. The knob layout of the microkorg is slightly different to the R3 i think and im having trouble finding my way around the r3 editor. If anyone can help me or give me advice it would be much appreciated. images of the parameters are below. Many thanks

[/img]
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi purple_mf,

I have done a Radias patch of the VP330 based on the sounds like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKm7VydYfU some weeks ago. Since I am about 2500 km (on vacation) away from my radias now, I can't help you very much now. One possibility would be to download the MK editor and start it, to see how the parameters are structured to transcribe the values to their equivalents on the R3. This is what I do when I want to recreate a R3 patch to my radias. I start th R3 editor, load the patch and then transcribe the values to the radias. It takes about 10 minutes to do so.

Maybe when I'm back I will make a YT tutorial about the VP330 for the Radias
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need an image where you can see the lettering on the front panel of the MicroKorg, or to spend some time with its manual.

I used to own one but I can't remember all of that now. I think I could guess most of the parameters.

This is one thing that really annoys me about 'microKorg tutorials' - they tell users which knobs to turn, and not what they are necessarily called or what they do, so it excludes users of other synths, and a lot of users don't actually learn anything from it. If they wanted just to share the patch, they should use the editor and save it out. Its not really a 'tutorial' as much as a very inefficient way of sharing patches.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (rough) transcription is:
Voice & Pitch settings are pretty much standard init patch settings
OSC1 Sawtooth, modtype=waveform, control1=46, control2=32
OSC2 sawtooth, sync, semitone=-7
Mixer OSC1=96, OSC2=108, Noise=0
Filter1 Type=LPF12, Cutoff=75, Resonance=11, EG1Int=17
EG1 A=99, D=0, S=127, R=118
AMP Level=126, Pan=Centre, Keytrack=-12
EG2 A=99, D=29(this has no effect because of S), S=127, R=118
LFO1 Triangle, Retrigger=Timbre, TempoSync=On, Rate=1/16
LFO2 Sawtooth, Retrigger=Timbre, TempoSync=On, Rate=1/6

VP.1 Source=LFO2, Dest=Osc2 Pitch, Intensity=3
VP.2 Source=LFO1, Dest=Pitch, Intensity=8
VP.3 Source=LFO1, Dest=LFO2 Rate, Intensity=25
VP.4 Source=Modwheel, Dest=Osc2 Pitch, Intensity=28
All other virtual patch OFF

TEQ Low Band: Freq=120, Gain=+6
TEQ High Band: Freq=7k, Gain=+11
IFX1 Type=Ensemble, Wet/Dry=50, Rate=43, Depth=82
IFX2 Type=Delay, TempoSync Off, Time=???, FB=90, Wet/Dry=40

Note that the high Amp level and EQ pushing may cause distortion on the Radias/R3 architecture. I'd reccommend lowering the amp level to 100 or less. Never exceed 100 unless the patch is really quiet. Again I was always taught that EQ should be subtle. Obviously there is a place for more radical EQ but on the microKorg it was often used to make patches sound really analog. You will probably in particular want to take the HF gain down more than you take the LF gain down.
Also you may want to reduce (probably) or increase the cutoff accordingly. The Radias/R3 filter has a very different range to the MK's filter cutoff range.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

This is one thing that really annoys me about 'microKorg tutorials' - they tell users which knobs to turn, and not what they are necessarily called or what they do, so it excludes users of other synths, and a lot of users don't actually learn anything from it. If they wanted just to share the patch, they should use the editor and save it out. Its not really a 'tutorial' as much as a very inefficient way of sharing patches.

Fully agree with that!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axxim wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

Fully agree with that!

I second that!
purple_mf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thank you everyone for replying.

Quote:
One possibility would be to download the MK editor and start it, to see how the parameters are structured to transcribe the values to their equivalents on the R3

i have tried that, but unlike the R3 editor, the microkorg editor does not function unless the microkorg is connected before hand. I will download the manual and find out what the knobs are and have a fiddle.

X-Trade, i have entered in your transcription, and its a good effort, not quite there but very close. I may get in contact with the guy who made the patch and ask him to list exactly what the parameters are doing....or i could just buy a microkorg... lol nah i love my R3 thanks!

I’ll get back to you all if i get anywhere with the patch.
Eat-Static

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi purple_mf ,

Followed transcribed instructions too, as above , Thanks to x-trade .

Can anyone improve on this ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4751606/VP-330.r3p
ROLAND SP404SX JUNO-G
rockgvmt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was SO EXCITED to come home and load these patches up into my R3... can't help but notice the dropbox link is dead. Does anyone have the VP-330 patch/patches mentioned in this thread ? or any at all ?

thank you ! Smile
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be rude with my reply to your very first post, but...if you've read the manual can't make the patch yourself on your R3 with the instructions laid out in this thread, maybe you should take up the tambourine or something. Rolling Eyes
DaniH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
Sorry to be rude with my reply to your very first post, but...if you've read the manual can't make the patch yourself on your R3 with the instructions laid out in this thread, maybe you should take up the tambourine or something. Rolling Eyes

No need to be an ass. Someone made patches and rockgvmt was looking for them. What's is wrong with that??
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know, that was salty of me...sometimes I can't help it!

R3's programming interface is pretty friendly and all the patch info is laid out in the thread. People might argue with me, but as far as I'm concerned anyone who owns/uses a synth should take the time to learn synthesis so they can make/tweak their own sounds. If the user asking to be spoonfed the patch took 30 minutes to attempt to sculpt it, they'd probably learn a lot more and be better able to express themselves through synthesis.

Maybe I'm biased--I remember when newer versions of Flash came out they just told people to "learn the language", but that was overly-f*ck*ng-complicated for an artists' tool (it needed object-oriented programming, structures, basically a computer programming degree!). Maybe this is the same deal, but subtractive synthesis is much simpler to wrap your head around. I still think you--the user who made the request--should go through and build the patch yourself with an Iinitialized patch.
rockgvmt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:

i understand the need to feel superior to beginners, sadly it's not gonna happen in this scenario. i did in fact made the patch previously outlined in the thread, im just not super impressed; i figured maybe someone had tweeked something or improved it.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was coming more from a sense of "just follow the damn instructions you lazy bitch" but clearly you took the time and effort to do so, so I hope you can accept my sincere apologies. We get a lot of lazy scrubs.

I noticed there's no mention of Waveshaping in that example, so if your sound is a little weedy, try "Drive" at about 15-30% intensity. There's also a WHOLE SLEW (2-3 pages) of actual Vocoder-specific parameters as well and these have a profound effect on how intelligible it is. When you have the vocoder button lit, scroll 4/5th into the menu near the end and you'll find these. I'd focus more on the gender offset (can't recall its parameter) and noodle with sensitivity moreso than the bands themselves.

Again, sorry for the salt, I genuinely hope this helps!
rockgvmt

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much appreciated!

the vp-330 has a particular tone to the strings and choir section that i'm trying to reproduce. i don't know how to describe it other than "it's striped" ... lol
it sounds like it has lines going through it. i'm aware this is a nebulous description; i hope you know what i'm describing.

getting my hands on a system-1 soon. it has a "human vowel" oscillator setting.. hopefully ill have more luck, and i can avoid buying a VP-03.

cheeers!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: