Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microkorg XL Distorting in right channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfinger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Microkorg XL Distorting in right channel Reply with quote

Hi there! Can anyone advise? I just picked up a used Microkorg XL and it is distorting in the right hand channel both on the outputs and headphones. I have tried resetting it but it's still the same. Anyone had experience with this? Is it hardware? Can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance!
Pat
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, too bad.

If you ruled out your cables, amplifier, speakers and so on, it is in the XL.

Do you have it on each program? Then I would say, some weak/broken contact in the board. If you feel convenient with it, you can try to open it up and have a look. Otherwise go back with it to a KORG dealer for repair or don't use the right channel...

Success.
sixfinger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for that! Spoke to Korg UK earlier and they pretty much said the same. Got onto retailer who it was purchased off and they gave me the number of a local repair guy who is gonna take a look next week. As a matter of interest to anyone with a similar issue, Korg quoted £60 and said it was an hours work. So everyone has been really helpful on the whole and I reckon that £60 is not that bad at all to have a repair done by Korg. Thanks to all!
jwallis123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people seem to have this problem, and at least for me the fix was really easy! Took like 15 minutes!

1 Unplug the thing of course.
2 Remove all the screws off the back panel, they're all the same, and took the back off. No need to unplug the battery wire
3 Then just remove the four silver screws from the board that the headphones jack is soldered onto
4 reseat that board so that it was making nice contact with the metal pieces it screws into
5 then screw it back in, pretty tightly but without forcing it or stripping the screws
6 at this point it's a good idea to put the back on without the screws, plug it in and test it with your headphones.
7 if the sound is back, unplug it and screw the backing back on!

Please respond if this worked for you so that others will have confidence that it's a good fix... maybe I just got lucky....
sixfinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for that! I did as you suggested and it seems to have worked. However, i also noticed that on re/seating the board there seemed to be wires getting trapped. So it got me thinking maybe the problem was the wires trapped? The reason i say that is because the actual posts the board fastens onto are very dull metal not shiny. Well on the one i have anyway. So i don't really see how that contact would make much difference. Trapping the leads however would make a lot more sense as it's such an easy thing to do during manufacture. I have to also say that the built quality on this synth is absolutely appalling. The case on the one i have is so bent it won't sit properly on the keyboard stand. I have seen many posts saying the same thing. Anyway,for now, it seems the problem is solved so thanks for the suggestion. Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.
MoB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem. It's quite easy to fix..
Open the synth and resolder all the contact pins of headphones jack. If this does not help, unscrew the whole output panel and reseat it and screw it back.
Derpancakes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referencing an above statement about the build quality, I was a bit conflicted when choosing between the MicroKORG and the XL. I decided on the former since the XL seemed a lot more cheaply made and had more plastic. It sucks to hear that people are having problems, since Korg seems to produce good quality products.
mkaltensynth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: microkorg XL output noise and diminished sound amplitude Reply with quote

Found this thread after recently acquiring a used uKorg XL with a faulty L/MONO output channel. The Left channel sound level was about 6dB to 9dB lower than the Right output channel which could have been compensated except for noise being present.

Excluding noise sources addressed previously in this thread, observed output noise is typically an indication of a faulty ground connection or ground loop that causes the ground reference voltage NOT to be zero volts.

The suggested fix in this thread is GOLDEN. After opening the unit and removing the headphone/output jack circuit board, sure enough the mother board's steel, screw fastener standoff showed signs of physical wear, i.e. an electrically compromised surface.

The standoff is the ground contact and should be pristine. The observed wear is caused by the physical forces exerted on the headphone/output jacks when used. By applying a pencil erasure, an excellent mild abrasive, to carefully sand away unseen oxide formed on the metal surface, the problem was fixed Wink

I believe someone mentioned soldering in this thread. That's a last resort. Try cleaning the contacts first; test the outputs and if no joy, inspect all solder joints, focusing on the problem jacks, to see if a cold-solder joint exists.

Cheers! Very Happy
One always has to remember these days where the garbage pail is, because it's so easy to make sounds, and to put sounds together into something that appears to be music, but it's just as hard as it always was to make good music. -Robert Moog
samcamelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the procedure above, worked perfectly for me !
Don't be afraid of the 20 screws to be removed !

[/img]
pratagy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sorry for my english, I'm brazillian)

I've done the procedure twice, the second time I used the eraser as well. The synth worked fine for the past weeks but today after a long day of recording the problem is back. I don't know what to do. Should I take it to a pro to clean and unoxidate it? Or even take a look at the soldering points. I'm so disappointed about the build quality of this product!!
megalow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with my right channel going out completely (both headphones and regular outs) and the volume knob causing a loud pop half way through turning. The volume wouldn't drop very far from max either.

I tried the fix in this thread and it didn't work. Ultimately, I had to desolder and remove the headphone knob and solder a replacement I bought from Parts is Parts. Once I did that, it worked good as new.

Thought this info might be helpful to other people in the same boat as me who might come across this post.
StevieTeaselSeed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: MicroKorg XL distortion/ low volume right channel Reply with quote

For what it's worth ladies and gentlemen, a good solid whack near the headphone/ output jacks usually solves my right channel dropout issue. The problem mostly rears its head during times of humid weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: