Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Foot Pedal for externally triggered sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Using Foot Pedal for externally triggered sounds Reply with quote

I have my TR76 set up as a slave keyboard, most of the time I use it to trigger sounds on the Kronos.

For example, in Combi I use the TR (which is set to Midi channel 2) to trigger organ sounds on the Kronos. Some of these sounds have a rotary effect built into the Programme, as well as a second rotary IFX (thanks to other comments in this Forum, this creates a really full rotary sound).

When in Programme mode, I use the foot pedal to control both rotary effects (the in-programme effect and the IFX). This works really well.

When I create a Combi using this organ sound, if I am using the Kronos to trigger the sound (Gch) the foot pedal works fine, again controlling both the in-programme rotary effect and the IFX effect. However, if I trigger the organ through the TR, I am only able to control the IFX rotary with the foot pedal. I can no longer control the in-programme rotary effect.

I know that one way to solve this problem is to have Karma Thru turned on, but of course this means the organ sound is also triggered by the Kronos. I can't always do this as I have another sound (eg piano) triggered by the Kronos.

Is there any other way to get the foot pedal to control the in-programme effect when the sound is being triggered by an external source?

Thanks

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a footswitch connected to the TR when it is driving the Kronos?
Mersip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foot pedal is attached to the Kronos. I use it as a source for IFX, for example rotary and volume, depending on the sound. I don't really want to attach another pedal (I already have a foot switch and damper pedal.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hammond XK-1 MIDI'd up to drive the engines on the K when needed. I use MIDI Ch 15. When I do this the pitch and mod wheels on the Hammond control the K and the same controls on the K do nothing. So I imagine your K/RE should work the same way. How about this? Put a splitter (physical- one female to 2 male TS) on your footswitch (since you don't want to add another pedal). Then make the proper assignments on your TR & K. Since they are both Korg products there shouldn't be too many snags. You can always use the MIDI filters if there are weird things that crop up. If nothing else try the switch on just your TR to verify that it's working this way.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS- I just noticed that you said you are using a foot pedal to control these functions. All that is needed to switch the rotary effect is a simple foot switch.
Mersip

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ronnfigg, using a splitter is something I hadn't thought of. I'll give that a go. Given how many cords I already have around the back, I was hoping to be able to achieve this through something in the software.

Thanks also for the comment on the foot switch. I use that to move between Combis and Progs in Setlist. As that's a global setting, I can't then use it for the rotary effect. I could assign a switch to the rotary as well, but would like to keep both hands on the keys.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On occasion I use Aftertouch to toggle rotary speed. No foot or quick hand gestures required. Your hands are already there. As far as cabling goes- loom up your MIDI, controller and audio cables, label the business ends. No more wrapping cables at the end of the night. A pedalboard works great too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: