Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longterm experience with RH3 keybed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

originally error-free SV-1 (RH3) keybed became faulty over the years?
Everything works fine even after years :)
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
It became seriously faulty (note-mutes) after some months/years :(
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

SV1user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Longterm experience with RH3 keybed? Reply with quote

Hello,
when I met the SV-1 at a local store in 2010, I directly fell in love with her Wink but didn't have the money to afford one. Now, 7 years later, I'm thinking again about buying a used/new SV-1, it still thrills me Smile

When I played on a used SV-1, some days ago, I was shocked by that RH3 double-trigger (note cut-off) issue, that has been well-known and around this forum for years (I hadn't heard of it before experiencing it myself), obviously there have been plenty of faulty RH3 keybeds around, which were used in Kronos and SV-1. While Kronos 2015 models seem to have updated their RH3, the risky version seems still to be built in currently selling SV-1 black, correct?

Back then, when there were loads of postings about the RH3 note cut-off issue, people wondered if it's worth the risk of buying a SV-1 (or Kronos) with an originally error-free RH3 because it COULD be "especially error-prone" when time passes by.

So, as years have passed, dear longterm SV-1 users:
What are your experiences with RH3 keybeds which were delivered in good state. Are they still free from double-trigger issues or have they become faulty with time?

That would help me with the decision of buying a (now) error-free SV-1 (used/new) with confidence for the future.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to all as I feel like I'm repeating myself from a very similar thread OP started a couple of days ago, but since you asked:

I have an SV-1 88 black model of indeterminate age. I bought it second hand maybe a year ago. I do know it's the older chinese-made model that doesn't have the new "made in Japan" RH3 keybed.

I wouldn't say the previous owner treated it with great care as it has a couple of scars on it. What I can say is that the RH3 keybed feels great and plays great. Before I bought it I gave it a thorough workout, which I would recommend to anyone buying a used keyboard.

Touch wood, this thing has not even come close to letting me down yet. All my Korg 'boards are paragons of reliability.

Last edited by CowboyNQ on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 am; edited 2 times in total
unclebyron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my red SV1 73 for several years. I bought it new. I've tried to duplicate the problem that others have had but couldn't. It's always worked perfectly.

I love the RH3 keybed on it and my Kronso X73 although the Kronos feels slightly different to me. Not in a bad way though.

Like Cowboy says, try it first if it's used. If it's new you will have a warranty.
SV1user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I'm aware that my other post is quite similar, but as the question changed and I wanted to imply an easy poll, I thought it was better to open a new thread. Maybe I was wrong.

However, I got a mail from a big online distributor today (as a reply for a question I had about RH3 issues in SV-1). They stated, that the double-triggering is a well-known issue with the first RH3 genration but it has been replaced/updated in the currently-selling SV-1 models.

Is that true? I read here that Korg only updated to the new RH3 in their Kronos, but didn't touch the production line of SV-1.
unclebyron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they told you is true.
Korg replaced the SV1 keybeds with one tagged with a sticker on the highest E that says "Made in Japan".
All of them have been that way for years now.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the first kids on the block to purchase a Korg Kronos back in 2011 (that was January 2011, so it was obviously made in 2010).
The Kronos also has the RH3 action.

I had problems with that action like many others did (double triggering, etc). But then Korg fixed it in a newer revision of the RH3 and replaced it for free under warranty (all it cost me was gasoline and time to drop it off, and again to pick it up). I'm told that was something like an $800 'fix' but Korg picked up the tab (not sure how accurate that price is so don't quote me).
mosher.ian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: 6 years and I need a new one, or do I replace the keybed? Reply with quote

I've been gigging mine heavily for 6 years and I have a weird relationship with it. I've got a number of out of level keys. I've switched them around a couple of times, but some of the substructure is mashed in the heavy traffic area. I've dropped it a number of times to re-seat the contact strip. It works, but I'm getting tired of the intermittent problems and the unplayable keys in my way. I'm considering getting a new keybedand I'm confident I can install it, but I'd like to be able to confirm I'm buying the right part. I don't want to assume a new RH-3B73 keybed will fit in my keyboard. Does anyone know if will fit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: