Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Desk For Kronos 88
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Studio Desk For Kronos 88 Reply with quote

Anybody using an Omnirax Presto (not the Presto 4) for their Kronos 88? What are your thoughts? Can the bottom rack spaces be accessed without too much effort? What about the build?

Anyone using a desk from any manufacturer that they love for the 88 note Kronos?

There's one called the "Music Commander" that seems totally awesome in both form and function:

https://www.studiodesk.net/

Unfortunately, it is built in Europe and is far too expensive for me to import to the United States.

I am in need of a new desk for my upcoming Kronos 88 and right now am thinking about the Omnirax Presto and the Zaor Yesk.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they kidding about the prices? $1560?

You could design and have built a (better) custom desk for half that amount.

One with decent wheels.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the Omnirax Commander in my old studio about 12 years ago,I got mine secondhand so got it at a great price,it was easy to build but in terms of the Quality of the materials used I would never have bought one new they are far too overpriced and even more so now,I did like the Look of the Omnirax Fusion Desk at the time but managed to get hold of this Commander desk from Ebay.

I could have probably built my own but at the time but didn't have time to spare to studio downtime nor have the facilities of a workshop at my Home back then to make my own plus it was a giveaway price so I snapped it up.I have moved it from studio to studio and a couple of home moves and because of having to take it apart a couple of times it started to look tired and worn so decided to skip it,I wouldn't buy another Omnirax.

It was a useful desk and looked pro in the studio but I found it wasn't very ergonimal to my overall needs,I originally had a Triton 88 note as my main Keyboard which fitted nicely with a little bit of room for my mouse on the right hand side,Eventually replaced that with my Oasys 76 and this fitted nicely too.

The slanted Racks aren't easily reached without slightly standing from the seated position if you need to keep editing sounds or parameters on the racks themselves,I found the angle of the racks not really practical,there is also two rows of 19" Racks underneath the shelf either side they were also impossible to access unless you sit on the floor,so would be better for stuff your not going to need to access very often or can edit from your PC/Mac another thing was if you seat your Speakers on top of the racks they aren't at Ear level for good Monitoring,one of the things that annoyed me about it,the Commander and some of the other Omnirax stuff Looks good but its not the best desk for a Keyboard/composers setup,the problem is with these off the shelf desks there are no retailers(certainly in the UK,can't vouch for the USA)that stock this type of Furniture so its impossible to really try them out in person to see what they are like so it's a bit of blind purchase and hope for the best scenario.

You could always take a look at Argosy Furniture too,these I find more pro looking and have a few more Keyboard/Synth type combos,I always liked the Rocket ship keyboard station but they come with a Premium price.

I now use a Jaspers Recording station as my main desk,as it fits better to the rest of my Studio stands(A-frames)which I have modified to my needs to add some peripherals i.e. better monitor shelves and Extra arms on the tiers this was far cheaper than an Omnirax and looks futuristic in a sense.

It also means because they are aluminium tubes I'm able to modify the desk and frames should I need to alter the setup and because they are Aluniminum means they are strong and durable and also Modular if I need to dismantle it any time or decided to make the desk slightly different,the Omnirax stuff is good but I'd only consider pro furniture if you never plan to move studio or home as they don't tend to stand up to being taken apart/Rebuilt too many times.

I'd agree with Ksynth in that,if you would prefer to have some pro looking studio Furniture without a massive price tag then you'd probably be able to find a bespoke carpenter who would make something more suited to your actual needs as you can design it to your spec with them personally at a more reasonable outlay,The Presto desk your looking at would probably fit your needs but I would suspect a carpenter would be able to make something as good for less cost it does look rather generic than something bespoke.

Omnirax and Argosy and the studio desk stuff Look great but your buying something off the shelf designed by someone for what they think most people need rather than something actually bespoke to your ergonomics and workflow and studio and probably paying over the odds for it too.
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out the Jaspers Recording Station. Hadn't really thought about that style, but I'm giving it consideration. The more I look at the Omnirax offerings, the more I agree they are not especially well suited to a keyboard MIDI studio like mine. I wish I had the talent to build my own but unfortunately this is not the case (I draw a straighter line without a ruler). Hadn't thought about a custom build figuring it would cost way more than I can afford, but maybe... Thanks for your reply!
Synthee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ZAOR Miza Z desk with my Kronos 2 88, and I am satisfied with it.
Its stable enough for Kronos and has a very good finish.
And funny enough the wooden end on Kronos match the Zaor cherry wood perfectly. Smile

hermanmusic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Your desk is awesome. And the kronos 2 does not bounce at all when you play? I'm not ham fisted, but this is a concern as my Oasys used to bounce on my el cheapo desk to the point that I made make-shift legs for it (lol). A salesman is trying to steer me toward the Miza XL, but it looks like the "Z" will work fine and save me about $300.00. It does match the wood on the Kronos, too. Way cool. Thank you so, so, much for sharing!
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee, were your rack housings purchased separately? I'm seeing the "Z" as a basic desk and can't seem to find the rack housings that look like yours. It really is a beautiful desk and I think I'd like one.
Synthee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermanmusic wrote:
Wow! Your desk is awesome. And the kronos 2 does not bounce at all when you play? I'm not ham fisted, but this is a concern as my Oasys used to bounce on my el cheapo desk to the point that I made make-shift legs for it (lol). A salesman is trying to steer me toward the Miza XL, but it looks like the "Z" will work fine and save me about $300.00. It does match the wood on the Kronos, too. Way cool. Thank you so, so, much for sharing!

Glad you liked it hermanmusic.
No, the Kronos doesn't bounce when Im playing.

Yes, the racks are sold separately and are named: Zaor Miza Griprack 2
hermanmusic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Studio Desk (bump) Reply with quote

Thought I'd bump this up to present times since I'm looking for a desk - but they're all super pricey more than 1K. Does anyone else have any affordable recommendations? Thanks!
trstack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Studio Desk Reply with quote

I have the RAB Audio Pro Rak 88. Fits my Kronos 88, Yamaha HS-8's and 27" iMac perfectly. No bounce, sturdy workspace and keyboard tray. Height adjustments for legs and tray

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProRak88B

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ndi3w1g4mza7vy/RAB%20Pro%20Rak%2088%20-%20Kronos.jpg?dl=0

Cheers!

T[/img]

Sold: Kronos 88, Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif 8, KX88, TX802, Oberheim: Modular 8 Voice, OBXa, OB8, KX88, Korg: T3, MS20, Prophet 5, Roland D50, Dyno-My-Rhodes, Crumar T2
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Studio Desk Reply with quote

Thanks!
trstack wrote:
I have the RAB Audio Pro Rak 88. Fits my Kronos 88, Yamaha HS-8's and 27" iMac perfectly. No bounce, sturdy workspace and keyboard tray. Height adjustments for legs and tray

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProRak88B

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ndi3w1g4mza7vy/RAB%20Pro%20Rak%2088%20-%20Kronos.jpg?dl=0

Cheers!

T[/img]

Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a total skinflint, the cost of studio desks has always irked me - I settled for an Ikea re-fit, and installed a pair of heavy duty runners for the K88 between the cabinets. It all does it's job for less than £350.

midinut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://output.com/products/platform?gclid=CjwKCAiAmvjRBRBlEiwAWFc1mN8TXFisn295vYwkNET5vO22xGxPerZJMT5YPnLUwOzP4sQqvyn_FxoCC48QAvD_BwE
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midinut wrote:
https://output.com/products/platform?gclid=CjwKCAiAmvjRBRBlEiwAWFc1mN8TXFisn295vYwkNET5vO22xGxPerZJMT5YPnLUwOzP4sQqvyn_FxoCC48QAvD_BwE

That's one of the desks I originally looked at. The keyboard tray is only 54.25" wide... The Kronos 88 at 56.5" won't fit Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: