Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg IS NOT WINDOWS COMPATIBLE.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with Windows 10 Home. I've read that updates are mandatory and automatic, it makes sense from a business viewpoint and especially when offering a free version. But I would definitely agree that you need Pro if you use your computer professionally.

As for the graphical look, again, you can turn most stuff off and make it look like 95/XP almost, if you so choose. Personally I rather like the organization of Windows by dragging (or CTRL+Arrow keys) them left, right or up, as well as the translucency feature when hovering the mouse at the bottom right. I use them both a lot and they speed up my workflow. I still hate that you can't truly maximize an app on MacOS like you can in Windows, I think it's a copyright thing. But all of those fall in the category of small personal preferences and you could probably become used to/attached to either.

FWIW I hate Vista with a passion. That was a terrible OS. I hope you have a good experience with your next system. If it is indeed OSX, be wary of updates too as they are prone to break programs and hardware compatibility.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Cortana can be disabled. See Spybot Anti-Beacon. Then you get the regular search from W7 back.

Also, there are tweaks possible that make Cortana use the browser and search engine of your choice. It's a Google search (sic) away Smile

Thanks, I need to look into it, but will go the pro route when I get five minutes as it should give more control back. Smile

I actually meant to say that Cortana seems tied to the Edge browser (at least in home without obvious tweaks) - probably as well as Bing! But the basic W7 search is what I want.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't have any experience with Windows 10 Home. I've read that updates are mandatory and automatic, it makes sense from a business viewpoint and especially when offering a free version. But I would definitely agree that you need Pro if you use your computer professionally.

As for the graphical look, again, you can turn most stuff off and make it look like 95/XP almost, if you so choose. Personally I rather like the organization of Windows by dragging (or CTRL+Arrow keys) them left, right or up, as well as the translucency feature when hovering the mouse at the bottom right. I use them both a lot and they speed up my workflow. I still hate that you can't truly maximize an app on MacOS like you can in Windows, I think it's a copyright thing. But all of those fall in the category of small personal preferences and you could probably become used to/attached to either.

FWIW I hate Vista with a passion. That was a terrible OS. I hope you have a good experience with your next system. If it is indeed OSX, be wary of updates too as they are prone to break programs and hardware compatibility.

Yes, lesson learnt on WIN10 - pro is needed. FWIW I never had any issues on Win 7 home edition, it has all started with WIN8 and got worse with WIN10 (home). I still think they have gone backwards since W7, but of course each to his own preferences. Smile

So I will be updating to pro when I get time (and my cr*p internet is up for long enough to download the ISO from the site that I purchased the licenses from!).

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
fcoulter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can upgrade your W10 Home installation to W10 Pro without the ISO burn.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:

Ok, thanks for the tip. Any pointers/links on how to do that?

My Echoes Music Website
fcoulter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
fcoulter wrote:

Ok, thanks for the tip. Any pointers/links on how to do that?

I had Windows 10 Home on my computer. Went to the Windows online store. Bought the Pro upgrade. Gave them my credit card number (and my first born daughter).

Stuff got downloaded and installed.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the reply.

My route was a little different. Software Geeks do OEM licenses and they occasionally do crazy deals. So I got two pro licenses for about £30 and need to download the installation ISO.

The licenses are legit licenses, the only downside as far as I know is that these OEM licenses are tied to the computer you install on, and you cannot transfer to another computer, which I think you can with a conventional license. But for the price that restriction does not bother me.

I'm on leave in a week or so, so will have plenty of time to attempt to download the ISO as often as it takes to get it!

My Echoes Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar with one computer - I bought a Pro license but the laptop actually came with a Home "demo" on it. I just mailed the guys and they switched my code around so I could do the update directly. Really good service, took about 5 minutes.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got notice of an update to the Bluetooth MIDI driver from Korg. This is Windows 8/10 specific. Version 1.12.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: