Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting bank for 3rd party programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KronosGold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Selecting bank for 3rd party programs Reply with quote

My question is so elementary that I can't find the answer anywhere. Which means everyone knows the answer but me! I am totally new to Kronos.

When I load programs from 3rd parties, it defaults to USER-G and USER-CC. I then want to move it to the bank of my choice. However, I don't know how to tell which banks are not occupied. How do I know? I don't want to overwrite anything.

Also do I have to load to the default bank always and then move the program? Or can I initially load wherever I want?
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Selecting bank for 3rd party programs Reply with quote

KronosGold wrote:
My question is so elementary that I can't find the answer anywhere. Which means everyone knows the answer but me! I am totally new to Kronos.

When I load programs from 3rd parties, it defaults to USER-G and USER-CC. I then want to move it to the bank of my choice. However, I don't know how to tell which banks are not occupied. How do I know? I don't want to overwrite anything.

Also do I have to load to the default bank always and then move the program? Or can I initially load wherever I want?

A few things:

There are bank types. EXi banks and HD-1 banks. Not everything will fit everywhere so keep that in mind.

The default location depends entirely on the developer - I develop sounds and tend to put them in the EE and FF banks depending on the dependencies I'm developing. Not everyone is the same.

The easiest way to tell if a bank is empty is to go look. Just close what you're doing, go do the program or combi mode and actually just look through the bank to see if they say "Init Program" or "EXi Init" or similar.

If you load a bank at a time, (say User-CC) you can mode that to User-DD when you do the load if it's a compatible bank. You CAN also load individual sounds as well however remember that Combi's often rely on those programs being in a specific location. If they're not where the Combi expects them to be, then the Combi will 'break' in that it's pointing to the wrong spot for some sounds.

There's an application called PCG Tools, and it'll allow you to take an offline backup of your existing Kronos and load PCG files into it (the backup) while keeping references between programs/combis/songs/setlist blocks and so on.

There's a video I've posted here about the PCG Tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZFAD-n7bdo

If you're really stuck, there's a few of us on here (myself included) who are happy to give lessons via skype and that sort of thing to help you speed up that learning curve.

Otherwise, there's a LOT of resources here, in the manual that came with the Kronos as well as on the DVD's that came with the Kronos. I think Disc 3 has the manuals as well.

There's the Korg website which has other manuals as well, and here obviously since you're here.

If you get stuck though, shoot a message! Also be sure to check out youtube. There's other tutorial videos on my channel but there's also some other guys like Qui Robinez who also have video tutorials which are fantastic too.
KronosGold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!!!! I will use every resource you mentioned and I am carefully reading what you have written. Thanks again!!
KronosGold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you enigmahack!!! Thank you enigmahack!!!

I downloaded PCG Tools. I am a Mac man so I had to dust off my old Windows laptop since I didn't want to buy an emulator nor purchase Windows. PCG Tools worked great!! I received some programs from a musician in Europe via cloud and PCG Tools integrated for me. I watched the YouTube link you gave and followed the instructions. Now I understand how this all works. You have to place programs within the correct engine. Now I am going to create me some custom setlists for these new programs. Thanks again!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: