Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (Red) ES2 Crashes/Freezes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReverendWilly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: New (Red) ES2 Crashes/Freezes? Reply with quote

I just got a brand new (ok, it was on the display rack) unit from a local independent retailer. I have been on the fence, especially because of the sampling process and the mini jacks (and ESPECIALLY because of the 3.5mm MIDI jacks...) but I've been trying to like it. I want to like it - I like that the pads are playable. I've never had an older electribe, but now I'm thinking about it.

Past couple nights at home jamming out and composing, and it freezes. No button does anything. Can't change pattern, can't stop playback, it just freezes on that tone. Beat does not continue, it's more like a computer freezing and the movie freezes and you can't move the mouse cursor or anything.
This happened multiple times recently.

Bad luck with a dud unit? Or is it something worse, and this happens sometimes with these units? I want to use one on stage, but this can't happen!
Should I look at EMX1? They are the same price for ones heavily used for 5 years... ES-1? A bit cheaper, but still $$$ compared to the new kid. Is that because the new kid (ES2) sucks so much?

What's a noob to do??
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ES-1, EMX-1, ESX-1 and an E2.
ES-1 is good, easy to use, but only for drums and loops.
EMX-1 is my favourite, very industrial sound to it, but much more flexible than previous.
ESX-1 is great but limited sample slots and memory are it's main enemy.
E2 has very good sound, far more flexible in many ways, but the whole implementation is garbage compared to previous tribes.
Es2 also has limited synthesis abilities, mirroring certain e2 abilities. The sample management is atrocious and there's virtually the same memory onboard as the ESX-1!!!

Depends what you're after. If your new to the whole tribe thing, it won't matter what you get. I've never had issues with any of them, maybe I'm lucky?

The first two generations are easier to use than almost any other hardware available with similar abilities. The new tribes involve a lot of menu diving and have too many issues, not just bugs, that may or may not get sorted.

If I were you, I'd get the EMX-1 or ESX-1 if you prefer sampling. Both are fantastic to use and rock solid reliable in my experience.
ReverendWilly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that the EMX1 might not be polyphonic.

One of my fav things about the ES2 is it has polyphonic pitch mode for samples, kind of like the Microsampler (4 voice, I assume it's the same as the microsampler but without the keys or the easy sampling...)

If people have had E2 and ES2 without issue, then I will try it. I just negotiated from one of the big-box stores for a used (like-new with box/papers/psu etc) black version with a year of pro coverage, shipped and taxed at $300 total so I guess I'll live with it and see how it goes. Seems like they don't lose THAT much value over time, so it doesn't seem too risky - kind of like an MPC1000 never looks like a risky buy because people sell them for what they paid (I've never owned one).

Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for an EMX as you say - I saw one on GuitarCenter used website for 199 but it was gone by the time I decided to pull the trigger!
Sulfur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had and read many issues about the E2, including freezes. I had not experienced exactly your kind of freeze but I know that few other people did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: