Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is what we've been waiting for :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's worth it too...especially if you are doing a lot of live playing. It's obvious a lot of work went into this app. Two years ago, I'd have killed for this, but my Kronos 61s are getting less use these days as I migrate to Mainstage.
bobmusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 1.3 released today:

Quote:
By KronosRemoteAdmin| März 31st, 2017|

New features in version 1.3

We did it again and released an update to incorporate many setlist editing features – as in the previous version you can move setlist slot (or groups of slots) by drag & drop, but additionally you can insert and remove slots. Slot editing is not limited anymore to comments but also includes color selection, transpose, slot title, comments… and most important you can select programs / combis / songs for a slot from within the setlist mode, thus allowing you to create a full setlist only using your iPad.

Your created / modified setlists are stored on your iPad until you connect with your Kronos (with USB cable), then you have the choice to transfer the new setlist to your Kronos or vice versa. So sit down backstage & prepare the setlist and then just sync it to your Kronos before the show – easy.

What about leadsheets? Setlist slots now support .pdf and even .mp3 files: you can add files to the Kronos Remote app using iTunes (drag the files directly to the app) and then add them to your slots on the slot-edit page. .pdf files will be displayed instead of the comments (in the comment pad view) while .mp3 files bring up a mini player to play sound effects or song intros live or just to jam to your favourite song. Audio is played back through USB audio directly into your Kronos.

Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
KronosRemote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, what an interesting discussion going on here Smile

It's difficult sometimes to find the balance between development and marketing, so the website-update got delayed because I've been working on some Bluetooth features... so anyway I spent the evening with another video to put up on YouTube so you can have a look at the new features:

https://youtu.be/OvRO97XmdzU

.pdf and .mp3 files are currently added within iTunes (drag it to the app itself on the apps-page, then sync), but I will enable file sharing soon. So hopefully you will be able to open a .pdf file from dropbox or any other app and transfer it directly into the KronosRemote app - that's the plan Smile

Cheers Dan
bobmusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the video and great so see you here Cool
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this product for live use. Primarily the ability to have the Set List open along with the Combi page.

I run tracks from the Kronos and am interested in being able to add an MP3 to each set list slot. Then I could run the tracks from the iPad instead of the Kronos. However, I would need to be able to store the "volume" of the MP3 per slot. Also, what would happen to a playing MP3 if I changed the slot? Preferably a programmable fade out time like SST in the K.

It would be handy if a fade out button could be pressed instead of just stopping playback abruptly if it needed to be stopped before the ending.

Lastly, the pan acts oddly for stereo files in the Kronos. I would like to see it act as a balance. Instead, it brings one channel into the other losing the stereo all together. So, a balance control along with the volume so you could set both and store them per slot.

This should be easy...right? 😜

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
KronosRemote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw: the video was recorded using an iPad 2, for those who own older devices. The reactions are faster on devices like the iPad Air 2 (which also feature bluetooth and stuff), but I wanted to show you don't neccessarily need the new ones Smile

-------------------------------

Hey Geo,

If you have the same mp3 assigned to several slots and switch in between those slots the playback continues. So you can have one track running in the back and use several slots to play to it.

If you change to a slot without this file the playback stops immediately... I see if I can change this to a fade out. If you want this fade-out to occur in a live situation as part of your program, the fade-out-time would also need to be adjustable and I don't want the user interface to be overcrowded with options (windows-style...). I keep it in mind Smile

Concerning the volumes I think this is controlled by the iPad general volume settings on the iPad-side, but I have a look at it as well.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand keeping the interface as clean as possible for live use. Perhaps additional adjustments could be opened when editing and hidden once programmed. Smile

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
Yeah, I think it's worth it too...especially if you are doing a lot of live playing. It's obvious a lot of work went into this app. Two years ago, I'd have killed for this, but my Kronos 61s are getting less use these days as I migrate to Mainstage.

My "worth it" comment is really because of comparing applications in the App Store of similar value. For example, I purchased the Moog 15 iPad App for $29.00! Look at the comparison in functionality.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/model-15/id1041465860?mt=8

No doubt this app has it's place in the Korg toolbox, but right now it seems a little pricey to me.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any feature here that makes live playing easier or more convenient at all - why move the sliders and ribbon to a device that's unreliable at the best of times, and where exactly is a more convenient place than right in front of you on the board? I've yet to see this being used practically in a live situation - by live I mean gigging, not sat in your bedroom messing about - I mean in the real world where you want the sliders and ribbon to react and not be on some third-party device that simply replicates their function but not their convenience or tactile response. Sure it's got some nice editing features which are easier on a big screen but the minute you go for this on stage it's either going to let you down because you can't 'feel' where anything is or it's on the floor with a busted screen - live playing is dynamic and often chaotic and I don't see this making life easier in that regard at all. The Nanopad can be stuck to the board - where's the iPad supposed to go? In the vid above it's sat against the sliders propped up by god-knows-what. I'm happy to pay for gear that does what you need it to and price isn't the deciding factor - practicability and usefulness top the list. It's an expensive editor and I don't think it's reasonable to compare it to the Korg Kaoss pad when assessing its value either, Korg making it at that price is not the same - Korg has a reputation for quality and reliability, that's partly what you're paying for - the price of this is not justified based on that argument and I don't hear any better ones to justify it either. It won't be joining my set. The hardware isn't built for the job.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
I don't see any feature here that makes live playing easier or more convenient at all - why move the sliders and ribbon to a device that's unreliable at the best of times, and where exactly is a more convenient place than right in front of you on the board? I've yet to see this being used practically in a live situation - by live I mean gigging, not sat in your bedroom messing about - I mean in the real world where you want the sliders and ribbon to react and not be on some third-party device that simply replicates their function but not their convenience or tactile response. Sure it's got some nice editing features which are easier on a big screen but the minute you go for this on stage it's either going to let you down because you can't 'feel' where anything is or it's on the floor with a busted screen - live playing is dynamic and often chaotic and I don't see this making life easier in that regard at all. The Nanopad can be stuck to the board - where's the iPad supposed to go? In the vid above it's sat against the sliders propped up by god-knows-what. I'm happy to pay for gear that does what you need it to and price isn't the deciding factor - practicability and usefulness top the list. It's an expensive editor and I don't think it's reasonable to compare it to the Korg Kaoss pad when assessing its value either, Korg making it at that price is not the same - Korg has a reputation for quality and reliability, that's partly what you're paying for - the price of this is not justified based on that argument and I don't hear any better ones to justify it either. It won't be joining my set. The hardware isn't built for the job.

I currently use an iPad Pro as my sheet music reader. It's attached with a clip to a boom arm on my keyboard stand. It's not going to fall and break, so that concern is easily addressed.

I just bought the app on Friday and I've played with it a bit. I have a gig this weekend, but I haven't used it enough to incorporate it.

The draw for me was the ability to have the set list on the iPad, but the Kronos display the mode screen. My set lists include combis, progs and sequences. It will be helpful to have the display change while still viewing the set list. I'm also drawn to the ability to edit the set list off stage and have it update the Kronos when I go on stage.

I like the idea of having the start/stop button the iPad screen, but don't know that I'll be able to use it "live" since I'll want to stay in set list. I often start sequences with my left hand and it's awkward reaching across to hit start. (My foot switch is set to control Karma.)

I would've liked the app to be half the price, but I also understand that it is being sold to an extremely niche market. The number of iOS customers who play Kronos is VERY small. The number of Kronos users who will buy the app is even smaller. I'm grateful it was created and the developer is very responsive. I'm happy to reward him for his efforts on behalf of the Kronos community.
KronosRemote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it depends a lot on how you use the Kronos - danmusician mentioned some of the general benefits. If the Kronos is your only keyboard, you're not reading digital sheets and you're fine with the existing features and the screen usability... well you might simply not need the app Smile I personally don't need a Kaoss pad and wouldn't spent a cent on it, but it's obviously an awesome tool for those who get a benefit out of it.

On the other side there are (for example) people with stacked keyboards on stage, I've seen the Kronos being the lower keyboard many times and in this situation you can't really use the Kronos screen and have both keyboards in a comfortable position at the same time. I personally have the Kronos standing besides me while playing on another primary keyboard, so its screen is out of reach as well. Then if you have leadsheets on an iPad anyway you have to switch to the song on the Kronos first, then scroll through your sheet-list to find the corresponding sheet... sure you can do that, but it's easier to have both with one tap.

In my band the setlist is different on every Gig and is changed on short-notice, so it was common to get all the changes just before the show, note it on paper and then try to find some minutes to edit the changes on the Kronos. Now I move the slots on the iPad while we're talking and I'm done Smile
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke down and Purchased the Kronos-remote app with the theory of supporting the development community for the Kronos.

With that said, I'm having a bit of difficulty with the App and I hope KronosRemote can assist.

It appears I am unable to connect with the USB and do the initial downloads of my setlists and bank data from my Kronos 2. I have both a Bluetooth wireless (which is working great), and I connected the Apple Camera adapter to the iPad Pro lightning connector and the other end to the USB port of the Kronos, not the data port.

When I click on Sync it seems to be working and says all banks are synced, but when I click on Download Setlists (I think it's called that), nothing happens and I don't see any of my setlists from my Kronos 2? I let it run for a about 15 minutes, but nothing happened and I don't see my K2 Setlist names or program names.

I am able to click on the setlists on the iPad and have them selected on the K2 just fine.

What is going on here that I'm not understanding?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmooster wrote:
I don't see any feature here that makes live playing easier or more convenient at all

The Kronos is much more live-friendly for me with this app. I have a 61, and on a top tier, the reading angle of the Set List is quite poor... and was completely unreadable on an outdoor gig. The iPad can be propped up on any of a number of stable holders you can use, and angled for easy readability and easy access. (Heck, many of us are using an iPad for other things anyway.)
KronosRemote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in touch with kbrkr via PN to figure out what's happening - in my setup the setlist download works, but he really seems to have found a bug. So if anyone else experiences this, please let me know.

Until then I'm on to some general optimization of the code in this area, maybe this will fix the problem, crossing fingers Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have 16 pads on screen.. then i can use the ipad fully to replace my Korg nanopad.

------------------------------------

Another thing, and i dont even know if its possibile on an ipad.

an option to open other ipad apps from this app and jump back to it...

Think about apps like
-Touch OSC
-Audiobus 3
-Your favorite music reader

----------------------------------

I can understand the high price...
with the low number of potential customers
and the high amount of work going into this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: