Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sysex question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Sysex question Reply with quote

Is there any way of using the Kross as a sysex librarian?

Here's my situation:

I would like to be able to set up a series of desktop synths to be sequenced by my Kross, but I would also like to be able to either manually, between performances, reconfigure those synths, or have the reconfiguration delivered by the Kross at the opening of each piece.

Is this possible?

If the Kross can't do it, can the Krome?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mmh, for the Kross, I would rather say, it is not possible. The manual though states that in sequencer mode, the Kross can record SysEx from external devices and play it back. but I've no experience with it. And it is in sequencer mode, which is maybe not that interesting.

I'm also thinking about standard MIDI files. I'm not familiar with it, but they may maybe contain SysEx data that then possibly can be played back by the Kross from the SD card.

Ok, the 2 options above are not proven, to be investigated, but they will not be elegant either.

Can't you store all the settings as a program in those synth itself? The Kross can then send a program change to such a desktop synth at the moment you choose another Combi or Sequence.

Bye.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the same passage in the manual, but what isn't clear to me is whether the Kross can act as a MIDI filer for another device, or whether this only refers to Kross parameter changes that it can play back as part of a performance.

If the Kross actually can act as a MIDI filer, that would be perfect, even if I had to do it by loading a particular sequence and playing it.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Koekepan,

Well that sounded like doing an experiment. I tried the sequencer method and it simply works! Here it goes:
* Connected my mKXL with my Kross
* Choose a program on the XL
* Go to sequencer mode on the Kross and set up a new song, hit record
* On the XL requested a MIDI dump of the current program (let's say a piano sound)
* Stop the sequencer. Go to event editing, and yes the Sysex is there. You can not see the content though (at least I did not find back how to do that). You can move it within a track.
* Select on the XL another sound.
* Replay the song on the Kross
* Guess what, the XL program got reinitialized with the piano sound.

Have fun.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thousand thanks!

That's really great to know - this means that I can combine three tools into a pretty potent live performance rig, if I want to - the Kross, a Social Entropy Engine, and my BCR2000.

Now I just need to figure out how long it takes, to see how disruptive it would be in a live show.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it will be something like downloading all the songs at bootup of the Kross from the SD card.
Then select a song and play it. You can make sure that the sysex are at the front of the song. It should go rather fast then. MIDI can go max at 3kB/s. E.g. a full XL program is around 400 bytes or 128ms.

Bye.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I clock the reload of the Engine from the Kross at about three seconds - and then the next song is on.

Basically, what I'm looking at now is that I can set up all my songs for the engine, each one controlling a drumset off the Kross, six control parameters on the Kross, and six melodic/harmonic instruments on the Kross, and then I can solo using the Kross's keyboard on yet another instrument or combination of instruments. Next song in the set? Just load up the next song, hit play and the Engine is ready to roll.

Pretty slick, really. Only way it would be better is if the Kross were a USB host.
Dragan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the hassle? Why not simply use a laptop & DAW?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragan wrote:
Why all the hassle? Why not simply use a laptop & DAW?

Good question.

Excellent question.

By the time that I've added an audio interface, MIDI interface, keyboard controller and sample set, then stripped down the software to the point that it's basically a single-purpose machine incapable of anything else whatsoever?

Not only will I have invested vastly more money, vastly more time, and still not have a purpose-designed system, it will also be larger, messier and more finicky on stage when those are precisely the factors that I don't want. I already have a stage rig that takes up my whole keyboard stand; I don't want to compound my problems by adding more widgets and gadgets that aren't even expressly designed for the purpose of making music, and specifically performing it live before an audience.

But you seem to like laptops and DAWs; fine. You do you.
Dragan

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I use two different computer free live rigs. While composing & recording at both there comes a moment when I like to include a tablet or a laptop to make the creative process more smooth, although it would also be possible to do without. With a DAW it's just faster and much more fun.

When it comes to precise MIDI editing or complex MIDI management, DAWs are the number 1 choice. While DAWs come in various flavors they have one thing in common: all were built around the purpose of advanced MIDI editing.

I simply like to use best possible tools for the job. For me the music making process is a creativity trip where my main focus is on the current music project.

Some people like to hack technical limitations of certain gear just because they can. Coping with problems and overcome them lies in the nature of man. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: