Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATTENTION KORG!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
jerrythek wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:

The menu driven functions are good but I don't have time to tweak some basic parameters while I am live on stage. Some dedicated knobs like ADSR will of course help a lot.

With the surface set to Tone Adjust the silders are already mapped to Filter ADSR and Amp ADSR. Very convenient once you get familiar with that.

Jerry
Hi Jerrythek,

I mentioned similar advice as well earlier to the OP but of course, some people prefer complaining instead of working on solutions. Wink

So, how would I increase the Attack within a second while playing live where I am in the SetList mode?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:
KK wrote:
jerrythek wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:

The menu driven functions are good but I don't have time to tweak some basic parameters while I am live on stage. Some dedicated knobs like ADSR will of course help a lot.

With the surface set to Tone Adjust the silders are already mapped to Filter ADSR and Amp ADSR. Very convenient once you get familiar with that.

Jerry
Hi Jerrythek,

I mentioned similar advice as well earlier to the OP but of course, some people prefer complaining instead of working on solutions. Wink

So, how would I increase the Attack within a second while playing live where I am in the SetList mode?

Make sure the sound was saved with the control surface set to Tone Adjust. Reach out for the proper slider and do what you will. Easy.

Jerry

P.S. My answer was somewhat simplistic, as it depends on what engine the sound is using... the sliders will likely have the ADSR functions you want, but they are not standardized across all 9 engines. But easy enough to learn, and if it's important to you you can change them so Slider 1 is always Attack if desired.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, jerrythek is right. Cool

Another possibility depending on one's rig configuration is to use SYSEX to automatically assign specific Control Surface External Setups according to program changes.

This way, you can define anything you want for the sliders and other parameters per program. The only "limit" is that there are 128 of those setups, but I doubt anyone will ever need more. It takes a little while to do at first, but it's relatively easy once you worked a few of them.
Schmooster

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one thing I can say and know with 100% certainty it's fact - and that is - sound is subjective; as broad and diverse as the musical genres the boards turn up being used in. For me, Korg and Roland between them have done more than I dreamt possible 25 years ago - but they suit my music. If my music was different then I know that Kurzweil or Nord would suit me better - but they don't; and it's not just 'features' either; it's the 'feel' of the Keybed and the potential. Anyone who's ever owned the amazing Roland W30 will know what I mean. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing - my best compositions were written more quickly when I had 14 patches to load up and no on-board effects - these days I spend far too much time twiddling and searching for that 'perfect' nuance because we all know it's around here somewhere - except when you bloody need it. The Kronos is the best of everything and cheap as hell - the W30 cost me £1600 in 1990 - what's that in today's money? I'd still use the sequencer off that and the keybed - it weighed a ton but man it was solid and it never let me down- which is more than I can say for the bitch who I sold it for to pay the train-fares to and from camp whilst serving as a REME Tels Tech. Ahhh, the days of stupid and reckless decisions - I had the PC3K 61 for a month and hated it - the Kronos sleeps on its stand in my room like an old faithful plastic dog, and sometimes in the night, while the wife snores n farts, I lean across, pull back the dust cover and just roll out a repeating arp of triads - just to hear how bloody quiet it is compared to the huffing sweaty lump lying on the other side of the bed that's cost me £1.5m in the last 20 years..... including the kids. If only I'd been more selfish and less horny, I coulda been someone..... pmsl, anyone but me, lying here between two beautiful creations, with only the desire to fiddle with one, inanimate, plastic wench who rarely says no and never answers back, much (WTF??) ahhh shaddup ye feckwit - you made your bed, lie there unable to sleep in it cos you need a piss 3 times a night now. It was great being 19 in '89 - I'd hate to be 19 now; nobody appreciates anything (my bloody Dad said that about cars when I was 19.... idiot). It's like the Ford Mondeo - I've owned them all, and now I'm onto the Focus cos the kids are adults. It's all a matter of taste, and your credit rating.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:
KK wrote:
jerrythek wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:

Jerry
Hi Jerrythek,

Make sure the sound was saved with the control surface set to Tone Adjust. Reach out for the proper slider and do what you will. Easy.

Jerry

P.S. My answer was somewhat simplistic, as it depends on what engine the sound is using... the sliders will likely have the ADSR functions you want, but they are not standardized across all 9 engines. But easy enough to learn, and if it's important to you you can change them so Slider 1 is always Attack if desired.

Thanks. It does work but now I have to do that to all my Programs which is a time killer. Also that works for some engines, not all. What about Combies?

jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarupmahapatra wrote:

Thanks. It does work but now I have to do that to all my Programs which is a time killer. Also that works for some engines, not all. What about Combies?

Well... It's unlikely that you will always have to adjust ADSR for every sound in the Kronos while playing... It's one small button push to change the Control Surface from RT to Tone Adjust...

The engines that don't easily support this are the CX-3 (it makes little sense), and the SGX-2, which supports release but not Attack. Right? Am I missing something? Just because the default layout of Tone Adjust doesn't show the ADSR parameters, it doesn't mean that they are not available. Read up in the manual about Common Tone Adjust Parameters.... Parameter Guide, page 30. The layouts were designed to offer the most effective tone shaping choices per engine, but there are more parameters available for you to use.

As for Combis: You can make these changes per Timbre... you have to select which is the active timbre for editing. Given the complex possibilities with Combis it makes little sense to try to have some global macro over everything. It would likely break as much as it fixed.

If I were to try to design a Global Tone Adjust for Combi Mode, I would want to offer enable/disable per Timbre so you could select which timbres were affected.... it's a cool idea but not simple to implement....

Get to know about Tone Adjust more... it's quite powerful... and I think you are somewhat suggesting from a theoretical standpoint, not completely real-world use/need. For sounds you know you want this type of control you need to do some pre-setup. That's not really so difficult in actuality.

Jerry
tand

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

Jerry

Never realized that the saved surface would be stored with the programs.

Nice tip jerrythek, thank you!
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
swarupmahapatra wrote:

Well... It's unlikely that you will always have to adjust ADSR for every sound in the Kronos while playing... It's one small button push to change the Control Surface from RT to Tone Adjust...

The engines that don't easily support this are the CX-3 (it makes little sense), and the SGX-2, which supports release but not Attack. Right? Am I missing something? Just because the default layout of Tone Adjust doesn't show the ADSR parameters, it doesn't mean that they are not available. Read up in the manual about Common Tone Adjust Parameters.... Parameter Guide, page 30. The layouts were designed to offer the most effective tone shaping choices per engine, but there are more parameters available for you to use.

As for Combis: You can make these changes per Timbre... you have to select which is the active timbre for editing. Given the complex possibilities with Combis it makes little sense to try to have some global macro over everything. It would likely break as much as it fixed.

If I were to try to design a Global Tone Adjust for Combi Mode, I would want to offer enable/disable per Timbre so you could select which timbres were affected.... it's a cool idea but not simple to implement....

Get to know about Tone Adjust more... it's quite powerful... and I think you are somewhat suggesting from a theoretical standpoint, not completely real-world use/need. For sounds you know you want this type of control you need to do some pre-setup. That's not really so difficult in actuality.

Jerry

Thanks again. I still am in for some more on board dedicated knobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: