Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarusi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick Reply with quote

I finally got this to work today:-

Quote:
Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick

You can also use a single AMS source as both the Control Source and a value source:

1.Set the Control Sourceto JS X.

2.Set Control At Note-On Only to On (checked).

3.Set the Threshold to 00.

4.Set Below Threshold to AMS A:JS X.

5.Set At & Above Threshold to a Fixed Value of 00.

6. On the OSC Pitch page, assign the AMS Mixer to control the pitch.

7.With the joystick in the center, play a chord, and hold it through step 9.

8.Bend the joystick to the left, and then play a new note above the chord.

(If the pitch changes, go to the OSC Pitch page and set Pitch JS(+X) and JS(–X)to +00.)

9.Use the joystick to bend the pitch of the new note.

The new note will bend, but the original chord (played before you bent the joystick down) will not.This method is particularly good for bending the top note of a chord up to pitch.

It's in the Parameter Guide p50 but as usual they omit a vital step to increase the AMS 'intensity' (P2:pitch) to +/- 2.0 (for a +/- wholetone bend).

Anything played before touching the joystick is unbent, as soon as the joystick is moved anyway left the next note(s) are bent according to the X-left point. Chords sustained with a damper pedal, will sustain unbent, anything played after a joystick X-left move is bent.
wojtek666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was actually attempting to do this for my strings/lead split combi and could not find where toi start with the procedure you posted. Could you please clarify your post to say to which page/mode/setting to go to between steps? Thanks a lot in advance
icarusi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojtek666 wrote:
Hi I was actually attempting to do this for my strings/lead split combi and could not find where toi start with the procedure you posted. Could you please clarify your post to say to which page/mode/setting to go to between steps? Thanks a lot in advance

Not sure it works with a combi, only tried with a prog. Some of my prog patches with bends don't operate in a combi which has it's own bend parameters.

Follow the Parameter Guide exactly items 1-5. Item 6 is on a different page (to items 1-5), the OSC Pitch page at the top RH corner set AMS to MIXER and intensity to 2.0 (for a wholetone +/- depending on which direction the bend is to go).
wojtek666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll try going through the parameter guide (is this the pdf that comes with the krome cd?) I'll let you guys know if I got it on combis.
icarusi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wojtek666 wrote:
Thanks I'll try going through the parameter guide (is this the pdf that comes with the krome cd?) I'll let you guys know if I got it on combis.

http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/krome/Support/KROME_ParamG_E.pdf

More stuff here:-

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/krome_dl.php
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Selective pitch-bend, using only the joystick Reply with quote

icarusi wrote:

Anything played before touching the joystick is unbent, as soon as the joystick is moved anyway left the next note(s) are bent according to the X-left point. Chords sustained with a damper pedal, will sustain unbent, anything played after a joystick X-left move is bent.

Some demos of SPB, 2-way bend and progressive vibrato using AMS:-

https://soundcloud.com/nobutsithee/krome4

PS. Notes played when JS is right-of-centre won't have SPB even if notes already sounding still have SPB.
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just revisited this. I actually lost this patch soon after finding it, through an overwrite, but I knew I'd left the method here.

I hadn't included the earlier part of P50 of the Parameter Guide which covers the AMS mode should be set to 'Gate' (the last of the options).

One of the shortcomings of this method is that after playing the first note(s) (staying without pitchbend), then applying X-left, the subsequent notes start from the pre-bent pitch, then can be bent to the actual pitch, and any subsequent pitchbends, whilst all those keys are held down.

I tried some other tweaks and found if these two settings are swapped, so these:-

4.Set Below Threshold to AMS A:JS X.

5.Set At & Above Threshold to a Fixed Value of 00.

become these:-

4.Set Below Threshold to a Fixed Value of 00.

5.Set At & Above Threshold to AMS B :JS X.

the pitchbend acts fairly normally, until if it's held X-left, there's no pitch bend on the next notes played, but when the joystick is released, subsequent notes have pitchbend applied from the actual pitch, not a pre-bent pitch, assuming all keys are held down, as above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: