Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Triton Classic Blank screen no lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyview

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Korg Triton Classic Blank screen no lights Reply with quote

Hello All:
A couple of days ago I turned on the Korg Triton and after a few minutes the display would turn blue and it would not let me play (button lights would be on. I reseted it and it would do the same thing after after a couple of minutes. Now when I turn on the Triton, I get a blank screen and no lights, (no button lights it will not play) I took it apart, unplugged every plug and plugged back, took out the ram etc. Still nothing.
Can anyone guide me in the right direction?
An additon: Yesterday I was able to hit Locate + Enter and it allowed me to reinstall 2.5.3 system, after a few tries it allowed me to complete it (so it stated). But once finished I'm back to step one which is I boot the keyboard, and it is back to screen is on, but it is blank and no lights available.
Anyone?

Another note I noticed that If I play with the button on the moterhboard that is between the moss and scsi connections, from right to left I get a system error message, or it will say system restarting but then back to the beginning.

Last edited by skyview on Wed May 24, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
EdK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Skyview,

I tried replying to your private message but for some strange reason, my message isn't being sent. It's just sitting in the Outbox so I figured I'd try replying to you here.

Does your screen light up at all and is simply blank OR does it remain dark like when the power is off?

My CDRW drive was causing my problem. I was able to re-seat all clean all the connectors and everything seems to be working now.

My Triton Studio was intermittently not booting up. All I would get is a blank screen. Occasionally, I would get the standard Triton Studio splash screen and it would freeze at that point. I don't remember if any of the lights were lit. I don't think they were. I suspect some connections worked their way loose since I do take the board on gigs.

The normal process is- Screen lights up, then the splash screen displays for a couple seconds then the default Combi Bank A patch 000 (Stereo Piano) shows up and it's ready to go.

There is a diagnostic that can be run while powering up. I found a service manual for the Triton Studio online at one time in PDF format but can't find it now. All I can find is the service manual for the Triton, Triton Pro and Triton Pro-X. I should have kept the Studio service manual but like a dummy I didn't.

Here's is the procedure directly out of (the non-Studio) service manual to run diagnostics. Since I only did it once, I'm not 100% certain this works on the Studio but I would guess that it does. There's not much difference between all the Triton models. Hopefully you have a recent backup of your Triton. The diagnostic by default doesn't wipe out the hard drive or the patches but I remember choosing some option while the diagnostic was running which wiped out the patches and I had to reload the board.

========================

ENTER+5+POWER ON = Full Test (Simple test for SIMM)
ENTER+4+POWER ON = SIMM FULL TEST
ENTER+2+POWER ON = Omit the internal test
ENTER+9+POWER ON = Indicate the version number

UP = Item Up
DOWN = Item Down
START/STOP(FF) = Step Up
REW = STEP DOWN

RESETTING THE SYSTEM-
ENTER+0+POWERON

NOTE:
When the test mode stars, the calibration values of Touch panel, JOY Stick and Pedal are reset.

When the test item is proceeded in order, please take the calibration at each item.

=========================

When I ran the diagnostic, it did tell me there was an issue with the CDRW drive. I don't remember all the details except the diagnostic knew there was a CDRW drive installed but it was unable to complete the diagnostic.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Ed
skyview

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for replying.
The screen lights up but no other lights are on, cannot run any diagnostics.
Only thing I can run is Enter+ Locale which run system disks update.
This started with regular boot them after a few minutes screen would turn blue, so I reset the triton, then all the sudden triton started to boot to a blank screen (it is on but nothing is written on it), and no other the lights lit (therefore no buttons available The only thing I can run on it is (enter+Locale) and run the 3 system update disks, (this took awhile, because a couple of times as it was going through the procedure screen would turn blue and freeze, (at this point I would beed to reformat the disk that was in the drive with my pc) I can read the screen at this point. (Loading, erase eeprom etc.) It goes through the process, and tells me completed, still no lights other than screenlit, but then I'm back where I started once I reboot.
I took out the motherboard, scan board all look okay sie wise, also rebooted without eeprom, or disk drive no change.
Leaning torwards motherboard.
I am wondering if is the motherboard, but the system disks procedue is bufflying me.
Thank you for replying
Skyview
EdK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skyview. Again, my reply sitting in my outbox and not sent?
So I'm replying here.

Wow...that is strange.

I'm just guessing but I suspect you may be having a hardware problem of some kind which is not allowing the boot/initialization process to complete.

Synths are basically just computers. It goes through a POST process just like a computer but instead of retrieving the operating system from the hard drive, the operating system is stored in ROM (just like the BIOS in a computer).

I am surprised you can reload the operating system but not able to run the diagnostic. Unfortunately, you really can't see anything by visually inspecting the motherboard. The problem is probably a chip that is not involved in reloading the operating system that has gone bad. I don't know if any of the chips involved in booting up are located on the motherboard or on another board.

I'm not an electronics/hardware tech but I have computer experience from the software perspective and hardware problems can cause some very strange behavior and can even appear to be a software problem.

Sounds like you'll need to take it in for service. Unfortunately, the Triton is considered to be a 'vintage' board and it may be difficult or possibly even impossible to find replacement parts.

I haven't had any issues with my Triton Studio (which is a little newer than the Classic) for quite some time that needed service so I don't know how 'repairable' it might be.

I have an even older Korg M1 that thankfully still works and I use it regularly. It does have a couple of broken buttons in the 0-9 keypad which are no longer available except on eBay and those are used and pricey. Fortunately, I have a couple spares but the underlying cause of the buttons breaking is because the tactile switchs underneath them are going bad and dont respond like they should. Those need to be replaced before I bother with replacing the buttons.

Ed
EdK

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skyview. Again, my reply sitting in my outbox and not sent?
So I'm replying here.

Wow...that is strange.

I'm just guessing but I suspect you may be having a hardware problem of some kind which is not allowing the boot/initialization process to complete.

Synths are basically just computers. It goes through a POST process just like a computer but instead of retrieving the operating system from the hard drive, the operating system is stored in ROM (just like the BIOS in a computer).

I am surprised you can reload the operating system but not able to run the diagnostic. Unfortunately, you really can't see anything by visually inspecting the motherboard. The problem is probably a chip that is not involved in reloading the operating system that has gone bad. I don't know if any of the chips involved in booting up are located on the motherboard or on another board.

I'm not an electronics/hardware tech but I have computer experience from the software perspective and hardware problems can cause some very strange behavior and can even appear to be a software problem.

Sounds like you'll need to take it in for service. Unfortunately, the Triton is considered to be a 'vintage' board and it may be difficult or possibly even impossible to find replacement parts.

I haven't had any issues with my Triton Studio (which is a little newer than the Classic) for quite some time that needed service so I don't know how 'repairable' it might be.

I have an even older Korg M1 that thankfully still works and I use it regularly. It does have a couple of broken buttons in the 0-9 keypad which are no longer available except on eBay and those are used and pricey. Fortunately, I have a couple spares but the underlying cause of the buttons breaking is because the tactile switchs underneath them are going bad and dont respond like they should. Those need to be replaced before I bother with replacing the buttons.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: