Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New chineese synths
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Found it at SOS.

"4000 components, the DeepMind 12 is one of the most complex synthesizers that has ever been built"

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/behringer-deepmind-12

How about them apples Kevin Wink

Sharp.

my guess is Kevin will want to see something called ' proof' and more track record before he changes his sentiment. Wink

I was going to take violin and trumpet lessons.

Now , after seeing DM I am not so sure.

I suppose I could post this dilemma on FaceBook and ask for a WWYD
( or choose)

I know i give Kevin a hard time over gear, but he has a way of keeping us on our toe's.
And even tho i disagree with him from time to time, he does raise good point's, and he is very knowledgable on gear..

The DM synths are pretty awesome.
If i was going to add a completely different synth to my rig.
I would add the DM. Cool
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:

Except for the wanky, gelded 4-octave keyboard...

..Joe
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

..Joe

I will admit, i have never played a DM.
jeftones

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the whole behringer is destroying the synth industry argument is simply based in elitism. Moogs and now modular synths which are back in vogue are at a price point where only a small group of individuals can afford to have these luxuries world wide. A testament to this is the limited product run eurorack modules and moogs generally have. Productions isn't limited because moogs are more complex to build than other synth. Rather limited production creates a rarity used to justify the price of the synth.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

..Joe

If the keyboard was the only keyboard being used, I'd bitch to high heaven about a four octave keyboard. But if it's part of a stack, I don't see a problem with a four octave keyboard.

Or is the issue something other than the number of keys?

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized i mis spelled chinese in my header. Laughing Embarassed
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:

LOL and I thought it was a play on the words, Chinese and cheese. Shocked

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

..Joe

A Deepmind 12 Desktop version was on display here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/04/19/superbooth-17-behringer-deepmind-12-desktop-deepmind-6/
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:

Nope. It's the number of keys. I can play with both hands, so I wouldn't go near a poly synth with less than 5 octaves- it's just the makers cheaping out the synths to save a couple of bucks. There is stuff I play (ex: "Pirates" by ELP) where a 4-octave keyboard is simply too short for the runs. Not to mention that the makers, in cheaping it out, are just screwing keyboard players over. Granted, the level of player is diminishing, and things like pads, loopers, arpeggiators, et al, are creating a landscape where untrained boffins can seem to be actually playing, even though they really can't, and thus the need for a full keyboard isn't really there, but there's still a few of us that want to PLAY the keys, and thus, a 4 octave keyboard is just too damn small.

And the tabletop model is also useless. There is an analog to analogs, (see what I did there?) an organic relations. Playing here and tweaking there is an unnatural act. Might as well make it a rack synth.

Otherwise, I'd own a Prophet 6, but Dave can keep his instrument. I'll live with my K2000 - which will do a fairly decent analog - until someone builds a real player an analog synth.

..Joe
fcoulter

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
fcoulter wrote:

Nope. It's the number of keys. I can play with both hands, so I wouldn't go near a poly synth with less than 5 octaves- it's just the makers cheaping out the synths to save a couple of bucks. There is stuff I play (ex: "Pirates" by ELP) where a 4-octave keyboard is simply too short for the runs. Not to mention that the makers, in cheaping it out, are just screwing keyboard players over. Granted, the level of player is diminishing, and things like pads, loopers, arpeggiators, et al, are creating a landscape where untrained boffins can seem to be actually playing, even though they really can't, and thus the need for a full keyboard isn't really there, but there's still a few of us that want to PLAY the keys, and thus, a 4 octave keyboard is just too damn small.

And the tabletop model is also useless. There is an analog to analogs, (see what I did there?) an organic relations. Playing here and tweaking there is an unnatural act. Might as well make it a rack synth.

Otherwise, I'd own a Prophet 6, but Dave can keep his instrument. I'll live with my K2000 - which will do a fairly decent analog - until someone builds a real player an analog synth.

..Joe

That's where we differ. My main two keyboards are 88 and 76 keys, so I've got plenty of room to stretch out when I want to. I'm assuming that the Deep Mind (and the MiniMoog, and other such keyboards) wouldn't replace one of the existing keyboards in my setup. They're what I call one hand keyboards, played by one hand while the other hand is playing other sounds on the other keyboard. As such, I've got no problem adding a sub five octave keyboard to the existing setup. (Micro keys, though, are an abomination.)

In fact, for a monophonic synthesizer, I'm not sure how often a five octave keyboard is used. The MiniMoog and the Odyssey's three octaves may be just right. Most melodic instruments don't have that great a range anyway. (Which has nothing to do with the DM's keyboard, just a spurious thought.)

(On a different board, someone was looking for a four octave keyboard that can be split into four zones. IMHO, that's cray cray.)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
In fact, for a monophonic synthesizer, I'm not sure how often a five octave keyboard is used. The MiniMoog and the Odyssey's three octaves may be just right. Most melodic instruments don't have that great a range anyway. (Which has nothing to do with the DM's keyboard, just a spurious thought.)

Well, I agree with you there- that's why I said poly synth. A mono synth? Yeah: less than 4 if fine.

But...

you are assuming that you would always have your full rig with you. What if it's a pickup gig, and you can leave one home? The DM if then the red-headed stepchild, because of its limited keyboard, and even if there's a sound you really want, you might do a workaround, because ti hasn't enough keys.

You see my list. I have a LOT of physical keys. (Too many actually. Getting hard to move around the living room.) But that said, I won't compromise: the keys are the tactile interface that we use to actually create the music.I almost always prefer 76 keys, but I will settle for 61.

I WON'T settle for 49.

But that's okay. I'm saving up: I think I am REALLY going to want that Waldorf Quantum.

..Joe
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

LOL and I thought it was a play on the words, Chinese and cheese. Shocked

Your take on my bad spelling is clever.
I never thought to look at it that way. Laughing
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:

In transliterated Chinese, it's "Zhongguo hua de"

in Pinyin it's Zhōngguó huà de

In Hanzi it's 中国话的

Dong ma?

..Joe
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

In transliterated Chinese, it's "Zhongguo hua de"

in Pinyin it's Zhōngguó huà de

In Hanzi it's 中国话的

Dong ma?

..Joe

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: