Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microkorg xl split with vocoder on timbre 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jareddroid

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: microkorg xl split with vocoder on timbre 2? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Anyone successfully made a split patch with a vocoder on the right-hand side?

I'm working on a split bank (which I will share upon completion!), but I've come across a roadblock:
When I try to set one sound to timbre 1, and a vocoder sound to timbre 2, I am having difficulty.

Say for example, I have a vocoder on the LEFT (timbre one), and a different sound on the right (timbre 2), this functions as expected. I would then expect that by switching the patches among the timbres, I would have a vocoder on the RIGHT, and the other sound on the left. However, this does not seem to work quite so simply...

I did notice under the vocoder section of the editor, there are level knobs for each timber, but even if I turn timber 1 down and timbre 2 up, I simply end up with NO SOUND on the left-hand side, and a simple synth on the right. (Even if the other patch was a piano or something).

What am I missing?

The .pdf was no help Sad

Thanks in advance for your time!!

-JD
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What you want is not possible on the mKXL. Refer to the scheme on p21 of the manual.
In short: the vocoder always resides in timbre 1. At the moment you switch on the vocoder, timbre 1 will feed the carriers of the vocoder (controlled by the level knob in the editor you refer to). But there is no way to output timbre 1 directly (unaffected) anymore (meaning, bypassing the vocoder for timbre 1). This also means that in your split patch, the left side will always go trough the vocoder... No way around.

It is still possible to use timbre 2 as carrier for the vocoder (triggered by right hand) but you lose timbre 1 as seperate voice next to the vocoder.

Have fun
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot an option. It is advanced, but far from perfect...
* Instead of using a split point, use layer mode
* Set up timbre1 as the one for the vocoder and the one you want in the right hand
* Set up timbre2 as your extra voice
(basically the set up you had with split point and vocoder on the left, but now in layer mode)

The trick is now to make timbre1 sounding when playing on the right side and timbre2 sounding when playing with the left hand.
This can be mimicked to some extent by setting up a virtual patch using keyboard tracking controlling the amp parameter in each timbre.
For timbre 1, use a positive intensity (sounding louder on the right side and vice versa)
For timbre 2, use a negative intensity (sounding more quiet on the right side and vice versa)

Definitely it is not a clear cut as with split point, it is going gradual. Not sure either how it will sound and whether it is usefull for you...

Bye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: