Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob looking for guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SomeSynthguy

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Noob looking for guidance Reply with quote

Hey all! Good to be here

Ive basically loved synths since forever but only just realised it in the way that: I just always assumed synth players used preset keyboards.. until recently. So I got my MK yesterday and have been totally enthralled in it ever since. It's incredible, and sooo much to learn and I'm really keen to play, it's an instrument that's just so spacial and cool

I have one beginning question: can anyone tell me what type of parameter is being used at 12:10 here? https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DMSEQZ8reJA4&ved=0ahUKEwjm76-i_fjTAhUEbbwKHYHbDzEQt9IBCF4wCg&usg=AFQjCNFokJBLxhMUgULFVipziafsk9kJaw&sig2=he7CROVPVES73sHXp87Nig I can get a really similar bass tone but can't for the life of me figure out the rest

I have more questions but lets just start with that for now

Thanks!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you refering the ticking sound?
This is my take...
* for AMP EG: short attack (basically 0), short decay, low sustain, almost no release. This gives one tick when you hit a key.
* set up the arpeggiator, this gives the repeating ticks as long as you hold the note.
* during performance, play with the cutoff frequency of the filter, or set up a virtual patch, something like a sine LFO, modulating the cutoff to automate it.

Have fun
SomeSynthguy

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! I'll definitely have a play this afternoon. Appreciate your experience. It aint' easy starting from scratch!
SomeSynthguy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. Is anyone able to help explain low frequency oscillators 1 & 2? When I use and adjust them nothing seems to happen. I'm pretty unclear how they're supposed to work and why they don't do anything for me Confused Question Embarassed

Another thing: why does turning the cutoff (first of five parameters top right pots of the MK) clockwise yield results but there is always no sound if I move it back to the normal position? I then have to quickly change to another preset and back again to reset the patch
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here it goes.

LFO1: it has a hardwired patch to modulate Ctrl1 of Osc1 (except if this one is using the pcm samples). E.g. if the pulse waveform is chosen, Ctrl1 sets the pulsewidth. LFO1 will modulate Ctrl1 an thus the pulsewidth of Osc1. The intensity of the modulation is set via Ctrl2 of Osc1. Refer to the manual to see what Ctrl1 is used for for the different wafeforms of Osc1. Set Ctrl2 to 0 to disable the modulation of Ctrl1 by LFO1.

LFO2: it has a hardwired patch to modulate the pitch of the timbre at the moment you roll up the mod wheel. The intensity of the modulation when you roll up the mod wheel is controlled via the Vibrato Intensity parameter (pitch section). Put it to 0, to avoid that LFO2 modulates the pitch at the moment you roll up the modwheel.

Apart from their default route, both LFOs can also be used as a source for a virtual patch, in order to modulate Pitch, OSC2 Tune, OSC1 Control 1, Noise Level, CutOff, Amp, Pan or LFO2 Frequency.

I'm not sure that I understand the question on cutoff. What do you mean by 'normal position'? Can you elaborate a bit further on the issue? Especially the change to another preset is strange to me. Maybe it is not related, but if the filter is a low pass filter, turning clockwise opens the filter, letting all harmonics through. Turning counter clock wise, closes the filter, cutting all harmonics to, in some cases, no sound anymore. So it might be normal behavior that you're listening to?

Bye.
SomeSynthguy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so, damn complex.. finding it hard to take in to tell you the truth. Thanks for explaining it all, makes a little mire sense. I'll be sure to open this tutorial next time I'm on the MK for a tweak. Hands on paired with that should make more sense to me

Yea, you're probably right about the harmonics, I dare say it's normal behaviour

Another question; there are a few presets that are totally off the wall complex it would seem to me at this point. I'm talking about one in particular that has an actual drum beat while holding a key down. It has kik and snare, along with a cool base tone. In attempt to try and figure out how they achieved this I went through all the settings one by one and changed every preset, without figuring out how they made it because the drums just stayed the same the whole time I was fiddling. The most I was able to change was tempo and eq. How TF did they do this?!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile It takes time... Especially you also need to do some deep menu diving. The manual is of great help. Don't let it disappoint you.

You might also read some tutorials on analog (modular) synths and how they build up a patch. The mK is a virtual analog one, mimicking the real stuff. Of course it will not exactly be the same in terms of configuration and patches, but you'll get the hang of it and become more familiar with the concepts and terminology.

There is also a sound editor (see Korg website) in which you can edit programs and download them to the mK using MIDI (yes, unfortunately an extra hurdle). It gives a bit a better overview of the parameters in a program in one view instead of the 3 digits on the mK itself...

Concerning the drum + bass program. Probably the tweaking had only results on the bass? It is most likely a program configured to use 2 timbres, basically 2 different sounds at once, each having the same synth engine structure and set of parameters (but other values). Probably you were only tweaking the first timbre (bass). Use the timbre select to choose which one you are editing.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: