Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different volume on different presets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abarson

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Different volume on different presets Reply with quote

Greetings!
The keyboard player in our band (I play bass) has a SV-1 with a problem: the volume for each preset varies wildly from setting to setting. This is really bad when he changes from a piano voice to an overdriven B3 setting mid-song, and has already caused him to blow the speaker in his Roland KC-550 once.
Is this something addressed with a firmware change? Does he need to adjust presets somehow? I'm willing to help him, but need guidance.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

If he cranks the amp overdrive up on the B3 setting, yes it will be significantly louder than the piano. Not a fault with the machine.

Some suggestions:

1. He turns the volume knob down to compensate (I'm not being a smartass, this is what I do when I play live).

2. He uses a volume pedal, collateral benefit is he will have greater control of his B3 swell.

3. He can try backing off the EQ settings across the board on his B3 sound and saving it as a favourite. I have "fiddled" with the EQ and/or amp settings on pretty much every one of my stock sounds (piano, B3, Vox, Rhodes, Wurli) and saved them in favourites so I know exactly what I'm getting when I press the button.

As an aside, I did have the cheeky thought that his SV-1 may have done him a favour by destroying his KC-550.

I wish him good luck with it all.
abarson

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.
Really, the point is that without touching either the volume knob or the volume pedal, simply going from one preset to another causes a radical difference in volume. This isn't even for any user defined patches.

Is this something that could be normalized if he used Sound Manager, and if so, would it only need to be saved once?
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dramas, I understood the question. What I was trying to articulate was that this is "normal" behaviour for the SV-1. An overdriven tube amp is, well, loud.

Yes the amp volume can be modded using the sound editor. Get your friend to have a look through this:

http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/240/1854/

Page 34 would be a good starting point, he can look at all the different amp sims and mod the volume as he chooses.

I've never bothered using it myself so not sure how often he'd need to save it, etc. I'm sure it's all in the manual, though.

Good luck with it!
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching to a patch with an active amp isn't safe for speakers in my experience.

I saved all the patches with amp OFF, then turn the amp on after loading patch. Works for me cuz there's only a couple patches I use/need amp for.

But yeh that amp made me jump a couple times.
Ceyhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this means that there is no option in sv-1 to preset volumes like in kronos or other brands? One needs to set piano volume:60% and EP amped volume:30% and get equal volume levels. Is this bot possible via editor?
Ceyhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this means that there is no option in sv-1 to preset volumes like in kronos or other brands? One needs to set piano volume:60% and EP amped volume:30% and get equal volume levels. Is this not possible via editor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: