Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about selecting channels in Seq mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shad0wfax

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Question about selecting channels in Seq mode Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased a second hand (albeit in excellent condition) Korg Kross 61, to use it mainly as a portable/travelling board. There’s been quite a long time since my last Korg synth (which was a NS5R in the mid-90s), and I’m still getting used to the interface.

I would like to know if there is some way for accessing directly to the desired channel in “seq” mode, instead of having to navigate using the cursors. Although the Kross has 16 buttons labelled 1 to 16, this seems to have no effect in selecting the active channel in sequencer mode, contrary to the Yamaha MOXF, for example. To have direct access to the desired channel in “seq” or “multi” mode is very convenient for selecting different sounds in a live performance, but I still haven’t found the way to do this in the Kross, and I wonder if it would be possible to do so.

Thanks in advance!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speaking off the cuff here, but I think that there may be a way to do it with the favourites buttons?

I just cheat and use breaks in between sections to use the cursor keys while playing live.

By the way, congrats on the Kross purchase. It's one of, in my view, the most unjustly overlooked and underrated tools out there. I've literally used it to compose while in a doctor's waiting room, while on a tight deadline. Batteries and headphones. Try that with a Kronos!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

With the favourite buttons, you can indeed switch quickly, but it means really another program or combi that is brought up and hence it will cause some hick-ups in the sound.
The favourite buttons can not be used to change timbre or track in a combi or seq.

To trigger other timbres in a combi, you need to setup splits for the keyboard, which has also its drawbacks, especially when you want more than 2 sounds accessible in an easy way.
You could combine it further with external keyboards sending on another MIDI channel to trigger other timbres in a combi. But that's about it I think.

Have fun.
shad0wfax

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your replies. It is quite odd that the Kross doesn't allow for a direct access to the different parts or channels in Seq mode, as I've noticed that even the MicroStation can do it (!). This is very convenient when for instance you have to switch for instance between an acoustic piano, a hammond organ, a strings section and a trumpet, all with their respective settings and effects, during the same track, simply by the push of a button and with no need to "navigate" using the cursors.

I wonder if it would be possible to implement this functionality through a firmware update. Does Korg read this forum? Wink
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You are right, it is indeed strange. I'm also missing some free assignable control knobs (also on the microStation...).
Anyway, also the solo function on the microStation will have its drawbacks. It will cut the previous sound quite drastically I think. Which you may not like either. So you will need to let the previous sound fade out before switching.

If you can accept that, then you may consider the favourite function on the Kross again as well. Set up your 16 favourite programs and when the sound has faded enough switch to the next sound by hitting one of the 16 step buttons.

Implementing your request in firmware can not be difficult. I think Korg follows a bit this forum. But I doubt that there will be an update for the Kross. There were already 2. But typically on a board like the Kross it is bugfixing instead of enhancing the features...

Bye
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see a Kross II. Or Krome II. They could really combine the features of the two keyboards into one, at this point. Battery operated, touchscreen rompler+ with a handle and audio in and direct rendering and more DSP. With today's technology it's certainly feasible, and they could probably do it in a lightweight synth action keyboard for under $1K brand new.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another yes for a Kross II, with some extra performance controllers.
Touchscreen would be nice, but not necessary for me.
Opening up the use of own samples (it is already possible today, but not officially communicated by Korg).
An improved pianosample-set consisting of 4 multi samples. I find it a bit a pitty that the engine supports 4 velocity switched layers, but that piano program only has 3 samples (it uses 4, but 3rd and 4th are the same sample)

Bye
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I was talking about combining the two was that the Krome does take a few things to a level that the Kross does not, partly because of additional DSP power. It offers more multisamples, crossfaded with velocity switching.

Another benefit is that the touchscreen does enable one to draw in automation curves on a track, which is incredibly useful.

People would inevitably sneer and call it the poor man's Kronos or whatever, but I might buy two. One to play, one as a spare. And chip technology has come a fair way since 2012, so I'm sure that KORG could fit a lot more power into it.

Hell, I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they just made an embedded version of Gadget, complete with the sampling tools, and put that in a hardware device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: