Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deciding about purchasing Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaMC

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Deciding about purchasing Kronos Reply with quote

Iv've been playing around with recording music as a hobby for the past year, using Ableton and Logic. I have very little background in playing music, but I have been teaching myself piano and studying as much as I can about synthesizer operations. My question is this- I have enough to get a Kronos, and it appears that it is something that I can definitely grow into over the years, but is it too much for a relative beginner? I dont want to buy something less and then have to lose money selling it when Im ready to upgrade.

Any advice would be great.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA deja vu, I asked the same question several years or so ago. The consensus was it is a lot to learn for a beginner. I did it anyway, and I do not regret it. I will say it is a lot to learn and I still haven't learned it all hell I've learned maybe 20% BUT I would not change a thing!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing too is that.there are people out there such as myself that put videos on YouTube and give private lessons for these synth a because they are so... Massive to learn. Getting up and running just reading this forum alone is an excellent resource since there are actual Kronos developers here as well as users to answer questions. I'm willing to bet that this is one of the more supported synth a out there.

Lots of room to grow, definitely.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Deciding about purchasing Kronos Reply with quote

DadaMC wrote:
Iv've been playing around with recording music as a hobby for the past year, using Ableton and Logic. I have very little background in playing music, but I have been teaching myself piano and studying as much as I can about synthesizer operations. My question is this- I have enough to get a Kronos, and it appears that it is something that I can definitely grow into over the years, but is it too much for a relative beginner? I dont want to buy something less and then have to lose money selling it when Im ready to upgrade.

if your computer skills, data base skills and organization are strong, you might have the right stuff to make the jump.

Otherwise, a more logical purchase would be a Korg Krome 88. That will challenge you and be a good step toward the eventual purchase of a Kronos.

And things might change in the next year or 2. I think its best to think ahead 1-2 years
DadaMC

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all who have replied. Its cool to see such an active forum. Im looking forward to being the guy down the road who has the answers!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate a little on what role you're expecting the Kronos to fill? Are you mainly wanting to develop skills as a pianist? Is it your ambition to play live in a band? Do you want to use it to record and produce music on? All those things are possible with the Kronos but it isn't necessarily the best tool for each of them.

You've been playing with Logic and Ableton - both of those are far more advanced recording tools. While the Kronos is a nice "quick-start" system with thousands of sounds ready to go, once you get to things like multiple takes, chopping up/editing audio, layering fx etc. it's not nearly as powerful (or easy to use) as a computer based solution.

I'm just asking you to consider this well, because it's a lot of money. 3k also gets you a decent audio interface (300), a good master keyboard (1000), Ableton Push 2 (700) and a whole bunch of softsynths (e.g. Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 10 for 1000). If you go for a NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard deal you save on the software and can add even more.

I love my Kronos by the way. I don't really use it in the studio though.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Deciding about purchasing Kronos Reply with quote

DadaMC wrote:

Kronos is able to bring you so far and for a long time. But there are some conditions : do not pretend to master all of its tools in a few weeks or months, keep patience and organization in order to explore the various aspects. Kronos needs some logical mind, but as you worked on musical softwares I'm sure you already get it !

I've been practising keyboards and synthesizers for about 40 years ! I've stopped it for some years and then came back to music with Kronos. I have to say that it's an amazing keyboard on all points of vue !

Some would say Kronos is out of date as regards its hardware system. Perhaps yes. But for now it is the best worksation on the market.

On another hand, there are many so good tutorials on Youtube, in particular posted by our two forum friends Qui Robinez and David Champagne. Just give a look to one of their videos and you'll catch what I'm saying !

If you decided to buy one, I wish you many musical pleasure with it !
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to rain on your parade.

The Kronos is probably one of the WORST keyboards to learn synthesizers on. Most parameters like VCO, LFO, ADSR, VCA, etc. are buried in menus and are counter intuitive. If you want to learn synth basics, start out with an Analog Synth like a Korg Monologue, Arturia MiniBrute, Roland Gaia SH-01, etc. Not as deep as the Kronos, but you will learn much easier.

As for learning to play piano, unless you are really disciplined, for me it's psychological. Learning Piano is all about lessons, concentration, finger exercises, and being productive with limited time for practicing. The reason I say it's psychological is because, you are going to want to play with all the other cool stuff and sounds and NOT concentrate on your lessons. You are going to stray and ultimately retard your progress.

Finally, for recording. you should probably use a dedicated software system for that.

The Kronos is really a performance keyboard. It's also expensive, and it is something to grow into. I'm afraid if you get it, you will be intimidated by it, not use its full potential, and then give up! Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
I'm going to rain on your parade.

1)The Kronos is probably one of the WORST keyboards to learn synthesizers on. Most parameters like VCO, LFO, ADSR, VCA, etc. are buried in menus and are counter intuitive. If you want to learn synth basics, start out with an Analog Synth like a Korg Monologue, Arturia MiniBrute, Roland Gaia SH-01, etc. Not as deep as the Kronos, but you will learn much easier.

2)As for learning to play piano, unless you are really disciplined, for me it's psychological. Learning Piano is all about lessons, concentration, finger exercises, and being productive with limited time for practicing. The reason I say it's psychological is because, you are going to want to play with all the other cool stuff and sounds and NOT concentrate on your lessons. You are going to stray and ultimately retard your progress.

3)Finally, for recording. you should probably use a dedicated software system for that.

4)The Kronos is really a performance keyboard. It's also expensive, and it is something to grow into. I'm afraid if you get it, you will be intimidated by it, not use its full potential, and then give up! Wink

1) I don't know if it truly is the 'worse to learn synth ( programming) ' on.
You might start a poll to qualify your statement.

2) There are numerous folks self taught on piano. I am one of them. I have a few friends that learned piano on a Kronos and are successful players/performers. Like some other demanding skills, it takes discipline, determination and time and an effective routine.

3) There are numerous owners that use the SEQ successfully for recording.
I am 1 of them. Sure, there are other tools/choices. The SEQ gets it done.

4) I don't think anyone should be afraid or intimidated about learning.
There is lots of great help here. I would not be as concerned about reaching 'its full potential '. Even reaching 'half its potential ' is a significant accomplishment.

I think a Kronos strength was crafting songs , originals, and covers. I don't believe one has to be synth programming expert ( and take some yrs) to do that. There are plenty of excellent resources to work with to get productive.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos does many things well, but very few things "best". The beauty is in it combining so many facets - live playing, song production, many kinds of synthesis in a portable self contained system.

But if your needs are a subset of those, there are definitely better tools available, as I pointed out about the recording and kbkr pointed out about learning synthesis or piano. Sure you can do all of those on a Kronos. But it is generally agreed upon that it's easier to learn synthesis on a 'one knob per function' interface, better to learn piano on an acoustic, and easier to perform audio editing and advanced recording on a computer based system.
jones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self taught here too.
I ordered my kronos and bought Omnisphere at the same time, whilst waiting for the kronos I played around with omnisphere using an old Korg keyboard, it has some broken keys but was ok...ish..

When the kronos arrived I was already well into omnisphere and found the kronos interface to be as user friendly as a brick wall.

SO, taking the path of least resistance, I stayed with Om for 2 yrs before getting more curious about the capability of the Kronos.

Kronos is deep and powerful, well worth the time and effort required.
I use Reaper DAW on the computer , I'm not interested in the Korg SEQ.

Its a bit paradoxical, if I didn't have the kronos I wouldn't get one, I'd buy a high quality controller keyboard, VSTi are superb nowadays.
Native instrument Complete is also a great VST package.

If I were a gig musician I'd get the kronos.
But I don't regret buying the kronos, its a superb instrument.
Can't see myself ever selling it or getting the next new thing.
I've never seen anyone say Kronos is junk, I'm getting rid of it.
DadaMC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice. I guess the appeal for me in getting a workstation as opposed to using Ableton or Logic is that I like having that physical device to work with. I have a Novation Launchkey and a Push2(the latter of which I really like using, but no matter how much I mess around with them (especially the Launchkey) I don't feel like I'm getting the realistic sound that I'm looking for. Maybe that's because of lack of experience. I am teaching myself piano. And none of the other keyboards Ive messed around with have the real key feeling like the Kronos. I'm already set now on getting one, and I'm glad these forums are here on this journey.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaMC wrote:
thanks for all the advice. I guess the appeal for me in getting a workstation as opposed to using Ableton or Logic is that I like having that physical device to work with. I have a Novation Launchkey and a Push2(the latter of which I really like using, but no matter how much I mess around with them (especially the Launchkey) I don't feel like I'm getting the realistic sound that I'm looking for. Maybe that's because of lack of experience. I am teaching myself piano. And none of the other keyboards Ive messed around with have the real key feeling like the Kronos. I'm already set now on getting one, and I'm glad these forums are here on this journey.

For sure, you won't be disapointed !
Here an advice : when you'll get into synthesis, you could begin with the "Polysix" engine wich is the simplest one. You'll find some esay tutorials on documents on Qui Robinez's site : http://www.quirobinez.nl/tutorials-blog/documents
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DadaMC wrote:

Also besides the free tutorials that are on Youtube and such, I also give private lessons if you're ever stuck. You can check out my site www.audora.ca or PM me here for details!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add something, before I said do not regret buying the Kronos as my first synth butter over the last couple year I have picked up a Moog Minitaur, Arp, and Minilogue and these three synths get far more play time then the Kronos. I equate it to the immediacy of the controls and not digging around different pages to get what I am after. Now as I get some space back it will all be incorporated in a better working environment but and the Kronos will once again get more time but as I reflect and had the Arp and Minilogue been out when I bought the Kornos they would have been my first choices keeping in mind I already had Logic and Maschine. Kronos was so tempting for me because it had so much value built in. So many synths built into one unit for a reasonable price compared to buying all them separate, but at the cost of a very steep learning curve and menu diving. And had this new Waldorf been a contender I could have seen myself going for it instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: