Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deciding about purchasing Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to draw up a short list of keyboards and go and try them all, as all of our opinions will be subjective based on our experience and opinions, not yours. Smile

I researched the Kronos, found a local store and went to try it. After a quick intro, I was left alone for an hour to fiddle with it, try the sounds, check out the different engines. An hour later I walked out with it. But I could not tell if it was for me just from advice and reviews - that got me to the "I want to try one out" point.

I agree with some of the points above that there are probably better one trick ponies if you only wish to do one trick, but if you want a versatile all rounder as a standalone instrument, then I still think the Kronos is hard to beat.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:

I agree with some of the points above that there are probably better one trick ponies if you only wish to one trick, but if you want a versatile all rounder as a standalone instrument, then I still think the Kronos is hard to beat.

Thats mostly how I analyze.

Its to easy to pick apart a 6 yr old complex W/s and say ' this software or module is easier' than this Kronos feature or ' this software is better to record on ' than the SEQ.

The picky approach seems to avoid the bigger picture- you have to pile up 5-10 different current products to match the important feature list of the Kronos.
Then a person has to invest a bunch of time to learn and make those 5-10 current products play nice together.

Nothing wrong with trying to bundle a bunch of current and very strong products together with a midi keyboard. its a custom approach.

Personally, I don't chase every new product. I spend my time learning new music , creating covers/originals.

On the Kronos. Smile Seems to get the job done and then some.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long s your are willing to invest time learning, Kronos will never disappoint you.
Good thing for you is that since you don't come from some other workstations and thus have fresh mind, learning kronos (or korg architecture) would likely be much easier.

One thing to remember is that you don't need to know all of it at once. I still dont know a dime worth of the some of the piano and str-1 engine.
Learn what you need to know first to get going and then you can venture deep. (I read a lot of old threads on these forums as there is a wealth of information here)
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what you said you needed it for, it is not that difficult to learn and apply those processes. I have been playing for over 40 years and have had 35+ keyboards - none remotely compare to the Kronos. I bought my second one 2 years ago. I only use about 40% of its capabilities; but thats all I need.

Sound design and editing is (to me) the most challenging aspect of the Kronos, or just about any keyboard. I have used Korg keyboards almost exclusively since the O1W/fd. The basic UI on that keyboard, those in between, and the Kronos are pretty much standardized but expanded. This is Korg's concept and is likely to continue. So going forward the learning curve is minimized.

Sound wise it is extemely versatile and completes with or exceeds just about anything else out there right now. If you like the way if plays (keybed feel); thats important. Just be aware that a replacement is likely in the next couple of years.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP may or may not be able ti try ahead if time. Where I live it was a gamble, there is nothing like a Kronos where I live to try same with the Arp, Minitaur, Minilogue. Features and wants and need lists are great but sometimes it is a leap of faith.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
The OP may or may not be able ti try ahead if time. Where I live it was a gamble, there is nothing like a Kronos where I live to try same with the Arp, Minitaur, Minilogue. Features and wants and need lists are great but sometimes it is a leap of faith.

I hear you. It was a six hour round trip for me to try one.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

I agree with some of the points above that there are probably better one trick ponies if you only wish to one trick, but if you want a versatile all rounder as a standalone instrument, then I still think the Kronos is hard to beat.

Thats mostly how I analyze.

Its to easy to pick apart a 6 yr old complex W/s and say ' this software or module is easier' than this Kronos feature or ' this software is better to record on ' than the SEQ.

The picky approach seems to avoid the bigger picture- you have to pile up 5-10 different current products to match the important feature list of the Kronos.
Then a person has to invest a bunch of time to learn and make those 5-10 current products play nice together.

Nothing wrong with trying to bundle a bunch of current and very strong products together with a midi keyboard. its a custom approach.

Personally, I don't chase every new product. I spend my time learning new music , creating covers/originals.

On the Kronos. Smile Seems to get the job done and then some.

I agree. Smile

What drew me to the Kronos is that I wanted another "deep instrument" to keep me interested for a long time (like my Yamaha EX5 did). I wanted a multi synthesis engine that was best of breed and covered Piano, Organ, synth, electric piano - and I much prefer instruments that take a modelling approach (think AN1x and VL70m and EX5 FDSP). So a nine engine synth got my attention, and it is then you look at how it has been designed for live use that really hooked me - features such as set list and smooth sound transition. The sequencer is fine for me. I have used it in a duo for backing tracks (made up in Cubase).

And features like KARMA and wave sequencing in HD-1 are of interest to me to noodle about in an ambient manner.

There is only one keyboard I know of that fits that bill. Smile

So it is a brilliant all-rounder that saves me having to carry loads of instruments about, it sounds great and will keep me busy for a long time. Smile

My Echoes Music Website
DrKewel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: but it sounds fantastic Reply with quote

No one so far has mentioned how truly wonderful the sounds from the Kronos really are.

Yes, it is expensive
Yes, it takes a long time to learn and the operating system takes getting used to.
Yes, trying to teach oneself to play piano is hard, because it is so easy to get distracted.
Yes, it is hard to find things you want to do quickly. (today I wanted a simple hand clap to sequence. Still haven't found it)
It seems more of a computer than an instrument sometimes, and the inspiration to play gets lost in the complexity and deepness of the machine.
But once you get what you need, nothing sounds better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: