Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos LS - UPDATED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Kronos LS - UPDATED Reply with quote

<<<>>> Original Post is Below <<<>>>

After playing for several hours today, I decided that the LS is going back. I really want to like it, but I just find it too difficult to get a consistent touch on it. I blame my own technique more than the action. But without the weighted resistance, I just find that some notes explode out on me without much effort. I also noticed that when playing patterns on black keys, I had trouble getting a consistent sound if my hands are further back on the keys.

If it were my only keyboard, I'd probably put in the effort to get used to it. But, I went back to my K73 tonight and it just felt so much better to me.

I gigged part time in the 90's with an 01/Wpro (76 unweighted keys.) I did well with that instrument, but this one isn't working for me. I still give it a recommendation, especially if you like a synth action. Just not for me...

<<<>>>

I just took delivery of a new Kronos LS. I own a K73 (original) and a K2-61. Until now, I play out with either the 73 or the 61 w/ Casio PX-5S depending on the gig. On the rarest of occasions, including last weekend, I've performed on just the 61.

The 5S and the K61 are a great combination, but I really like the simplicity of a one board set up. The K88 is just too heavy and the K73 is only marginally better. I find myself missing the extra keys on the 73. The reduced weight of the LS is a big plus, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

After calling around, none of my regional dealers had one on display and I have to drive a couple of hours to get to one anyway, so I ordered one knowing that I'll need to eat the shipping fees if I change my mind. Till I spend the time driving and gas, it'll be worth it to have an extended demo time at home.

So, after playing for a while, my initial reaction is mixed but overall favorable. The keybed feels study and even. Action resistance is little to none. It feels a lot like the action on the 61 to me. Keep in mind, that I am not an aficionado of synth action keyboards, so I'm not the best to compare the 61 to the LS in that regard.

What I will say is this: I had an M3-73 and I could never play well on it or the K61. On both instruments, the width of the keys always seems just a little bit on the narrow side to me. Enough that I would often split notes or catch my fingers on the black keys when playing big chords. The LS feels like regular sized keys to me. In that regard, I like it.

The key throw on the LS seems just a bit shallow to me. I rejected the Roland V-Piano several years ago for that very reason (also never a fan of Roland piano timbres). The LS is not as shallow as I remember the V-P.

I need to play with the velocity curves on the LS, but my initial reaction is that it's a keeper. If you're looking for a piano feel, it's not your instrument. If you're looking for a portable Kronos with 88 key range and a playable action, it just might be your thing.

Last edited by danmusician on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, thanks for the review. I'm sort of in the same boat you are -- or were. If you could give a little more detail on the action compared to the K61. I could live with the K61 action, especially with regular piano size keys, but anything lighter in action and I'm starting to play slop. Really wish Korg would've made a 76 key version of the LS. Might have a hard time fitting the 88 in my car. Thanks.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos LS seems like such an awesome gigging keyboard, until I remember why I bought the PX-5S - to retain finger strength on gigs. It seems the the natural answer to most people that want a lighter Kronos with all the keys.

If my K61 ever breaks, I may go for the LS. I love the action on the K61 - to me, it is very good.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Hey Dan, thanks for the review. I'm sort of in the same boat you are -- or were. If you could give a little more detail on the action compared to the K61. I could live with the K61 action, especially with regular piano size keys, but anything lighter in action and I'm starting to play slop. Really wish Korg would've made a 76 key version of the LS. Might have a hard time fitting the 88 in my car. Thanks.

If you're comfortable with the 61, you'll be fine with the LS. Having played it for an hour or so since my first post, I adjusted very quickly. I played around with the curves and ended up right back at "4." It's balanced pretty well for me.

Fitting it in the car is an issue, for sure.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this feedback - I am waiting for the LS to arrive here in Oz.

Can you please confirm the conflicting comments regarding aftertouch please?
Does it really have it or not?

Many thanks

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete...The LS has no onboard aftertouch. It will receive aftertouch from an external source via midi though. They are available now in Australia and there are a few units available. Like Dan says, the key throw is shallow and I guess the closest action to it would be the Studiologic Numa Compact or a Nord Electro 5D, but even lighter to the touch. The keyboard itself is lighter than a Kronos 73 and its really manageable to carry around. As far as putting it in your cars backseat, its exactly as wide as a Kronos2 88 so its still too big for most cars.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos LS - UPDATED Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
I just find it too difficult to get a consistent touch on it.

It's certainly impossible to change how a keyboard feels under one's fingers, but it is possible to adjust the velocity response to a certain extent using the Kronos parameters and also even creating your own velocity curves if you use a computer with your Kronos. But I can certainly understand that a synth can not work for someone. I used to be a devoted Kurzweil fan, but I don't like their new products now, so went back with Korg.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos LS - UPDATED Reply with quote

KK wrote:
danmusician wrote:
I just find it too difficult to get a consistent touch on it.

It's certainly impossible to change how a keyboard feels under one's fingers, but it is possible to adjust the velocity response to a certain extent using the Kronos parameters and also even creating your own velocity curves if you use a computer with your Kronos. But I can certainly understand that a synth can not work for someone. I used to be a devoted Kurzweil fan, but I don't like their new products now, so went back with Korg.

I experimented with the curves. It's not the action as much as my technique. As I said, if it was my only keyboard, I could make it work. But right now I have theee options:

1. Play my 73 and miss a few keys.
2. Set up 2 boards and have the touch I want on 88 keys.
3. Play the LS with 88 keys that I don't like playing.

For 3 grand, I'll take choice 1 or 2.

The laptop isn't really an option for playing out. I did that for about 10 years with a Yamaha S80 and a Mac laptop. Didn't like have the computer on stage. If I went that route now, it would be the computer -or maybe even iPad - the PX-5S. The Kronos wouldn't leave the house.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind if I ask what you paid for the LS? If that's a no/no to ask, just ignore. The only price I've seen is $3,499. Waaayyy to friggin much for a keybed with no aftertouch IMHO. Thanks.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Mind if I ask what you paid for the LS? If that's a no/no to ask, just ignore. The only price I've seen is $3,499. Waaayyy to friggin much for a keybed with no aftertouch IMHO. Thanks.

I won't say what I paid, but several US dealers are quoting an unadvertised price of $3150 shipped. Cool

Also, funny thing about aftertouch: I NEVER use it in performance and rarely think about it. When auditioning sounds on the LS, I instinctively went to add pressure on a few and it wasn't there!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narf wrote:
I guess the closest action to it would be the Studiologic Numa Compact or a Nord Electro 5D

I actually find those two actions pretty different from each other, the Nord pushes back with notably more force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: