Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos OR Yamaha Montage 8?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos OR Yamaha Montage 8? Reply with quote

Anyone in, or was in, the same boat?

Trying to decide between the Kronos and the Montage 8.

I will be using it mainly for the grand piano sounds 70% of the time - the other sounds 30% of the time.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without more info from you, this is really subjective to how each feels and sounds to you. Obviously, Kronos has a lot of cheerleaders on a Kronos forum. Montage is also a nice board. Have you gone to a music store and tried both?
G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Without more info from you, this is really subjective to how each feels and sounds to you. Obviously, Kronos has a lot of cheerleaders on a Kronos forum. Montage is also a nice board. Have you gone to a music store and tried both?

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately there isn't a music store within 250 miles that carries either one.

I know it is "overkill" but I am looking for an 88 key "synthesizer" that has the best grand piano sounds first and foremost - and then the other instrument sounds come secondary.

I don't plan on recording or sequencing - just playing.

I don't really want a stage piano - because I really do like a lot of the synthesizer sounds/instruments. And I love 80's music! lol

Again, I know the synthesizers I am looking at are overkill - but I don't want some piece of plastic; and I want something that looks like a real piece of equipment and not a toy as so many keyboard today do.

Hope this helps!

Smile
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If synth sounds are important I would on tech specs alone (still have not tested a Montage) favour the Korg.

Why? Because of the modelling synth engines. You have AL-1, Poly6 and MS20 engines. Montage will have to do analogue via its AWM or FM-X engines. That's not to say those sounds will not sound good (some of the best synth sounds on an SY77 are via AFM through a very analog sounding digital filter!), but for me, I would take a modelling engine (which will model analog nuances) over something based on static samples any day.

In terms of pianos, well, preference is very subjective, but Kronos gives you unlooped samples for each key streamed from SSD. Chuck in the remaining engines, Karma, and Wavesequencing in HD-1 and I am sure the Kronos will give you a lot more fun for a lot longer. And I am speaking as an old school Yamaha fan, for whom the Kronos is his first Korg.

I'll be trying Montage in a few months time - for me, it's a mere 120 miles to a decent store. Wink Personally if I were you and committing that sort of money, a trip to the nearest store is still worth it - make sure they have both there and make a day of it, as only you can decide which is best for you.

I would not commit that sort of money without trying them.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately there isn't a music store within 250 miles that carries either one.

I know it is "overkill" but I am looking for an 88 key "synthesizer" that has the best grand piano sounds first and foremost - and then the other instrument sounds come secondary.

I don't really want a stage piano - because I really do like a lot of the synthesizer sounds/instruments. And I love 80's music! lol

Again, I know the synthesizers I am looking at are overkill - but I don't want some piece of plastic; and I want something that looks like a real piece of equipment and not a toy as so many keyboard today do.

Hope this helps!

Smile

the Montage seems to be an expensive choice.

We have thrashed around Kronos vs Montage quite thoroughly here.

You could google for all that wonderful info Wink
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos OR Yamaha Montage 8? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Anyone in, or was in, the same boat?

Trying to decide between the Kronos and the Montage 8.

I will be using it mainly for the grand piano sounds 70% of the time - the other sounds 30% of the time.

The Montage acoustic piano sounds don't use resonance, which I thought was very strange for such a recent new master synth. Didn't like the feel of the keys in terms of connection with the sound response. YMMV

The Kronos-2 pianos are certainly not perfect either, but the Korg RH3 keys to piano sounds combination felt closer to the real thing to me. I also own a baby grand piano, so it's easy for me to compare to a real acoustic instrument.

Read my short review and also others' here (and as mention there are quite a few other topics comparing Montage vs Kronos on this forum) :
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=702576&highlight=#702576
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about adding a Montage to my K2, but instead decided to get a NORD STage 3 instead. I really, really, like the Nord control surfaces for live playing, they add a new Synth to the board to go along with very good Organs and pianos. And of course, you can run samples in the synth engine.

It's not a workstation, but I really wanted a stage keyboard to go along with my K2.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2011, I spent quite some time demo-ing the Yamaha CP1, Roland V-Piano and the Kronos. I played the Nords a little bit. I had been touring with a Yamaha S80 and laptop from 1999-2008 and had switched to the M3-63 in '08. I wasn't happy with the touch or the pianos on the M3, though I do a one-man band thing and liked the workstation approach. I decided I wanted a piano first and would go back to the laptop if needed.

For me, the Kronos felt and sounded better than the dedicated stage pianos. The Keyboard Mag review at the time suggested that even though it was a w/s, the Kronos could hold it's own against SPs. They were correct!

I liked the CP1 a lot, but I didn't care for the low end and felt like I could hear obvious looping. I've never warmed up to the character of the Roland digital pianos. Lots of other people love them, it's just not my flavor. Also, the V-Piano has a curiously shallow key throw.

So, I went with the Kronos and have been happy ever since! My tag line for the Kronos is: "Came for the piano, stayed for the workstation."

As a piano, you have the German, Japanese and Berlin stock on the K2. You can add the Vienna. You can endlessly tweak them. As a stage piano, it's tough to beat. And then you have 9 engines, a powerful sequencer, and KARMA. There's enough inspiration there to keep you playing for years.

I hosted some high school kids touring with a choir in my home a few years ago. I showed the accompanist the Kronos, how to select Prog and Combi and enable KARMA. He played late into the evening and got up early in the morning before they left. So much fun to hear him jam to his heart's content. This thing just inspires music. We talk a lot on this board about the techie stuff, but first and foremost it's an INSTRUMENT!

The truth is you probably can't go wrong with the Montage. Yamaha knows what it's doing. But, you can't go wrong with the Kronos, either. Pick one and buy it. Don't get sucked into the "Mac/PC," "iOS/Andriod" or even "Ford/Chevy" kind of debate. Life's too short. Jump in and enjoy!
Jer76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Montage 8 and Kronos 73. For Montage are you good at FM programming? If not you will be just playing with the AWM2 rompler engine. For Kronos, you have many other engines to play with. Both to me sound just as good. If you compare the weighted key action, i would go with Montage. Also Montage is a synth and not a workstation, really depends on what you want to do.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer76 wrote:
I have the Montage 8 and Kronos 73. For Montage are you good at FM programming? If not you will be just playing with the AWM2 rompler engine. For Kronos, you have many other engines to play with. Both to me sound just as good. If you compare the weighted key action, i would go with Montage. Also Montage is a synth and not a workstation, really depends on what you want to do.

Just curious, do you think they complement each other? If you had the buying decision again, would you still go for both?

I'm asking as I need to retire my EX5 as a stage board (used mainly as a controller on stage with my Kronos X61 doing the bulk of the sounds), so the Montage is a contender. Whilst I could go with just a controller, I like to have a few boards that make sounds on stage in case one goes down.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Hope this helps!

Smile
where Kronos shines is being an all around workhorse, it can function as a performance synth, a stage piano, an organ, a recording studio..

Where Yamaha shines, is it interface and studio integration, the visuall feedback of knobs, sliders and buttons is just brilliant, the touchscreen interface in combination with the 4 rows of 8 buttons is very well tought out and modern..

But soundwise, kronos can do so much more, better piano's as said by a few here, with resonance... real VA synths, an organ, a piano engine.. huge expandabillity.. very flexibel effects section.. Karma, which can be used in so many ways, its much much more then the Arpeggiator of the Montage... also there is a huge amount of advanced workstation functionallity in the Kronos, not available in the montage...

However, the Kronos requires quite a lot of indepth experience to pull all that out of teh engine.. no problem if you are a techhead.. but to some all the menu's and submenu's are just to much a funspoiler..

If you just want a good piano, dp, organ, strings, synth... then the upcomming Nord Stage 3 will be a nice alternative.. very straightforward layout and it gives you both that piano, as well as that organ and espescially synth feel, with lots of direct interaction towards the Nords VA synth...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Hope this helps!

Smile
where Kronos shines is being an all around workhorse, it can function as a performance synth, a stage piano, an organ, a recording studio..

Where Yamaha shines, is it interface and studio integration, the visuall feedback of knobs, sliders and buttons is just brilliant, the touchscreen interface in combination with the 4 rows of 8 buttons is very well tought out and modern..

But soundwise, kronos can do so much more, better piano's as said by a few here, with resonance... real VA synths, an organ, a piano engine.. huge expandabillity.. very flexibel effects section.. Karma, which can be used in so many ways, its much much more then the Arpeggiator of the Montage... also there is a huge amount of advanced workstation functionallity in the Kronos, not available in the montage...

However, the Kronos requires quite a lot of indepth experience to pull all that out of teh engine.. no problem if you are a techhead.. but to some all the menu's and submenu's are just to much a funspoiler..

If you just want a good piano, dp, organ, strings, synth... then the upcomming Nord Stage 3 will be a nice alternative.. very straightforward layout and it gives you both that piano, as well as that organ and espescially synth feel, with lots of direct interaction towards the Nords VA synth...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
G wrote:
Mike Conway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Hope this helps!

Smile

For some reason, price of the various boards and perceived value/price, is not discussed.

I still think thats #1 or #2 purchase criteria. Such as is the Montage 'worth ' $4000 to me. Or is the Nord 3 'worth' $4500 to me.

I am guessing at the Nord 3 price. Feel free to clarify it.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Yamaha pianos are well respected but if I had to buy something "mainly for the piano" I wouldn't even consider a Montage. Not because it's "overkill" but just because it doesn't particularly excel at piano sounds. It's a performance synth and even about its success in that category opinions are spread widely apart. The Kronos at least has made a strong effort with a separate engine, unlooped samples, string resonance and various "piano-specific" editing features. Whether you like its actual sampled pianos is another matter but I don't like every grand I play on equally either. If you're interested in Yamaha pianos check out their higher end stage pianos.

The Nord is definitely a contender, they've come a long way since their original pianos. I grew tired of the small sampleset in my original Stage but they've improved a lot since then and I did love the interface.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the circle of friends that play piano that I know mostly prefer the Yamaha CP4 not for only piano sounds but the keybed is really nice. I like Nord pianos also but can get pricey. Depends on what you looking for as SanderXpander said I wouldn't buy a Montage mostly for pianos. They are better options IMHO. The new Roland RD 2000 sounds good also. But if you're looking for all in 1 keyboard Kronos has to be a contender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: