Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital useless when working with 44.1 kHz?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wavebasix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Digital useless when working with 44.1 kHz? Reply with quote

Can somebody explain me why Korg choose 48kHz instead of 44.1 or the option to choose both. Because I am working with 44.1 and it's not possible for me to use the digital output of the Kronos which I think is a big dissapointment. I think I am not the only one facing this problem. Is there some workaround possible here or could this be fixed with a software update?

Thanks,
NormC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital useless when working with 44.1 kHz? Reply with quote

Wavebasix wrote:
Can somebody explain me why Korg choose 48kHz instead of 44.1 or the option to choose both. Because I am working with 44.1 and it's not possible for me to use the digital output of the Kronos which I think is a big dissapointment. I think I am not the only one facing this problem. Is there some workaround possible here or could this be fixed with a software update?

Thanks,

Korg chose 48 KHz because that is better. 44.1 is only needed for CD mastering. You can use a rate converter software tool to resample.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital useless when working with 44.1 kHz? Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
Wavebasix wrote:

Thanks,

Korg chose 48 KHz because that is better. 44.1 is only needed for CD mastering. You can use a rate converter software tool to resample.

Just a guess. Maybe that was a wise choice by Korg ?

Given that CD is a declining media. Seems like everyone streams music, these days
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question posed has nothing to do with the relative merits of different sample rates, but with an issue selecting 44.1 KHz in the Kronos. Personally, I've not run into this issue, as I have always just used the default rate (even though most of my recording projects are 44.1).

Why did Korg choose 48 KHz? They had to settle on something, and the marketing department knew some percentage of the public would buy the "48 sounds better" myth. 48 KHz has long been a standard for samplers (e.g. Kurzweil). It's the default sample rate for most consumer audio interfaces, and requires no conversion for DVD audio. It's a perfectly acceptable rate.

Is this necessarily a problem? Not at all. Most DAWs will automatically and transparently convert audio to the project sample rate as needed, regardless of what it is: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96. This means that if you are using a combination of software synthesizers and samplers in your project, along with outboard synths such as the Kronos, you just don't need to care that they might be at different sample rates or bit depths.

Now, you can run into clocking issues (e.g. clicks in the recorded audio) with digital inputs, especially with disparate sample rates. The solution is simple, though: specify the synth as the clock master. AFAIK, all DAWs let you do this. The only downsides are that a) you might have to change the clock source as you switch between different outboard digital instruments, and b) the Kronos will need to be connected and booted up or the DAW will hang. The solution: record the part and then switch the clock back to "internal".

My general advice would be: if the Kronos is going to be your primary instrument in a particular recording, just set the DAW's project sample rate to 48 KHz and go. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your problem that you cannot use digital outs (spdif) with your 44.1k setup, however there can be many reasons for sticking with a single sample rate.
1: Better optimisation for filters and other dsp parameters (for the algorithms that are sample rate dependent) less math = less CPU load = better polyphony or stability.
2: A 48K crystal based DAC/ADC. Only supporting multiples of 48k;I.e 96k,192k etc

3: better perceived latency. For example At a 64 sample bucket, 48k will be processed faster as opposed to 44.1k

4: Better analog Sampling/recording resolution. Though I prefer sampling/recording at 96k, 48k is still better than 44.1k (less interpolation)

5: 48k is standard DAT
44.1K is/was a limit imposed by the earlier standard for cd recording,
Based off Nyquist's theory on human hearing frequency limitation and how doubling the frequency gives most fidelity for humans. However when you bring in dsp math, there are lot more factors/techniques/hacks/approximations involved that work better ( or produce lesser artifacts) at higher resolutions (for example internal upsampling), the better your source there is lesser interpolation required)

I won't go into bit depth here as that is whole different thing.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Wavebasix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys that cleared some things but I still thing it is a pitty they did not add the option to choose between 44.1 and 48.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
I prefer sampling/recording at 96k, 48k is still better than 44.1k (less interpolation)

Some semi-interesting nostalgia. The OASYS had this setting.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the primary reason for 48k as a standard is for use with film and ensuring frame accuracy at 24 fos. This is why it was adopted as the standard frequency for ADAT.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: